PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt RAS - Grabing?

Jim Guy
02-15-2004, 7:07 AM
A while back I purchased a used Dewalt 7779 RAS from a local school.
Only paid $75.00 for it so I did'nt think I could lose. Purchased a new blade and I'm real happy with it outside of a few small problems. One is when I'm cutting, the saw wants to lung forward very quickly. So quickly that it will stall out. If its a larger piece of wood that is stable without me holding on to it, I will use both hands on the saw itself just to slow the cut down. I don't know if this a normal problem with this type of saw, or is there some type of clutch or bearing that is worn out. If anyone has any thoughts or insight to this please let me know.
Wheather I figure this our or not, I sure find this to be great addition to my shop.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim

Tony Falotico
02-15-2004, 7:43 AM
Jim, the following is just IMHO, so take it for what it is worth. I do not own a radial arm saw and would not allow one in my shop. Like a convertible car, the best two days in my RAS ownership was the day I bought it and the day I sold it.

The lunge forward problem you describe is typical of a radial arm saw. The blade spins in the direction of the cut and the teeth want to grab and tend to pull forward (towards you) the same direction you are pulling. I've never had one grab and stall like you describe, but that pulling forward is a feeling I was never comfortable with.

I use the DeWalt sliding compound miter saw, you came bring the blade forward past the workpiece then down and cut back away from you, eliminating the tendency of the blade to grab and pull towards you.

Again, this is just my opinion, Many WW's love the RAS and wouldn't be without one. Personally, I don't.

Tyler Howell
02-15-2004, 7:48 AM
Jim,

Very common for the beast. First hang on to that bad boy.:mad: Check your adjustments for square, plum and perp. Many of the RAS will adj. for more resistance of the slide so it is not so free. Is the table flat?
You can buy a devise, but I just made mine with an old window weight on a cord and pulley for an auto return mech. Works great. ;)
The RAS serves a great purpose in the shop. I stack junk on mine.:D
Seriously that is where I started years ago and the old Crapsman has rehabbed 3 houses, a boat, built a garage and many toys for my kids.
Have fun

Ken Salisbury
02-15-2004, 8:21 AM
The lunge forward problem you describe is typical of a radial arm saw. The blade spins in the direction of the cut and the teeth want to grab and tend to pull forward (towards you) the same direction you are pulling.

Correct - it is the "nature of the beast". If the board you are cutting is not held fast against the fence or you allow the blade to be feed too fast through the cut what you describe can happen. Like any other piece of equipment it takes practice to develop a skill with that tool.

You must maintain a 'stiff' arm when allowing the blade to feed through the material.

I have had several RAS's in the past 40 years and will probably always have one. It is my primary saw for cross cutting. As a matter of fact, my RAS hasn't been moved from the 90 degree cut position for so many years I can't remember back that far. I am not sure it would even move to something else. I have it set up for "dead 90 degrees" and it is an essential part of my shop. Practice -practice - practice

Todd Burch
02-15-2004, 8:34 AM
I hate those things.

Do you have a properly raked blade on it? A RAS should use a blade that as a zero degree or negative rake to it.

Mark Singer
02-15-2004, 9:37 AM
I built some great furniture for many years when my only machine was a RAS....now you couln't give me one! The blade wants to "pull" through the piece. As Todd stated some blade are better than others. I would agree with Tony and get rid of it...I have seen a couple of very ugly accidents on jobsites with large "Comets" and other RAS... Get a compound sliding miter saw ....way better!

Ken Salisbury
02-15-2004, 9:43 AM
I would agree with Tony and get rid of it...I have seen a couple of very ugly accidents on jobsites with large "Comets" and other RAS... Get a compound sliding miter saw ....way better!
I hate to be a dissenter :D. However, I have seen some ugly accidents with table saws and even hammers - but I wouldn't get rid of them either.:D

p.s. put a Forrest WWI on the RAS. I have one on mine and Forrest Chopmasters on both of my miter saws

Gord Graff
02-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Hello Jim,

I've always like a well tuned radial arm saw and find it difficult to run a shop without one. Sliding miter saws are great but they don't have the cross cut capacity of a decent radial arm saw. Pictured below is the saw that I use daily, it's a DeWalt 3hp, 14" saw with a cross cut capacity of 24". This saw excels at cross cutting a perfect 90 degree cut in the widest of materials.

I wouldn't think of getting rid of your saw, as stated above I'd install a blade specifically designed for the saw and practice. Once you've got a handle on how to use it you'll never consider getting rid of it.

All the best
Gord

Jim Guy
02-15-2004, 1:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I have purchased a compound miter saw and use it for miter cuts. For a short while I tried to use the RAS for this but was not happy, that helping to make the decision for another saw purchase. (Just looking for reasons.)
Like several of you have stated, after taking some time to get a true 90 degree angle on the saw, I have left it there, only checking it once in a while. Even with the problems, I really like the saw and there are many cross cuts on larger pieces that I know I would struggle with using anything else.
I will definitely look into getting the correct blade, and just knowing that the grabbing problem is the 'nature of the beast' tells me just to keep on working with safety in mind.
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Jim

Curt Harms
02-16-2004, 6:06 AM
Jim

I have a Freud 5 degreee negative hook blade on a DeWalt 7749. It still bears watching but the tendency to grab and walk is way reduced. I'm away from the saw so I can't give you a blade model #. I use my RAS for 2 things primarily-cutting long stock to length and half lap joints. Thing does half lap joints better and faster than other techniques I've tried. HTH

Curt

Mike Johnson
02-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Like some of the other respondents, I have a Dewalt Radial Arm and absolutely love it. The blades I use in it were bought from Wolfe Machinery, a company that specializes in RAS rebuilding. They cut very cleanly and the "grabbing" is almost nonexistent. I would suggest calling them for advice about your saw and how to get a premium performance out of it. Their number is 800-345-6659. I have no affiliation with the company, but have found them to be good folks.