PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Marty Rose
11-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Yesterday, Just in time for Supper, the good ol'e microwave stopped. The clock works,the fan works, but the lights, both night light and when the plate inside rotates inside will not. Also the rotating plate,(for lack of a better term), will not rotate. Put some leftovers in and they would get less than warm. More than room temp. but not hot. Is a new one in-order, or is it fixable? Make it simple, I know nothing about Microwave ovens, other than push the buttoms and round it goes and out comes the popcorn all warm and eatable.

David G Baker
11-24-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't know anything about fixing microwave problems but I do know that the price of microwaves have reached the point where they are totally disposable if you get a few years service out of them unless they are the over the range type with the built in exhaust.
Go to the manufacturer's site to see if they have trouble shooting information.

Jim O'Dell
11-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Our counter top model did the same thing. I'm sure it's the magnatron unit, and it was almost as much for the part as a new unit, with me doing the install! You could check the fuse inside, and check the connections (make sure it's unplugged for a while first, and then still be careful. Any capacitors can still hold a charge!) If it's not a fuse, my guess is it's cheaper to replace. Jim.

James Gillespie, Jr.
11-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Usually cheaper to replace than repair. Look around for specials, this is the weekend to find them. Best of luck!

Cheers,
James

Al Willits
11-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Do NOT stick your fingers into one of these, unplugged or not...trust me on this one..:)

We repair these things where I work, and we suggest unless its a combination unit, like hooked in with a eye level range or such, to just replace it, between labor and part costs even a basic service call usually equals close to what a new one costs, plus if its more than a couple years old, the new improved models usually have more features.

Al....who's not so sure about improved though...:)

Shaun Gidcumb
11-24-2007, 12:56 PM
If you can access the light bulb in your microwave check to make sure that it hasn't blown out. I believe that there is a safety interconnect between the magnetron, the thing that produces the microwaves, and the light bulb. If your bulb is blown everything else will work, but no microwaves will be generated to heat your food.

If your bulb is fine, then the problem is more serious and you should just get a new one.

Stephen Beckham
11-24-2007, 9:55 PM
Had an Army buddy once that took on the task of repairing a broke one in the day room (being a barracks full of electronic repairmen - Military Intelligience repairmen at that :o there was always something to fix).

To make a long story short - he got it fixed but apparently grabbed something hot while testing. The shock between his forefinger and thumb caused him to flex and he couldn't turn loose until the timer went off...

Not sure if it happened as he told it (mostly while drinking) but there was a moral to the story fake or true... Don't set the timer too high when testing!:D