PDA

View Full Version : Bowls

Curt Fuller
11-24-2007, 10:33 AM
I've been working on some bowls this week. My wife will fill them with Christmas candy and give them out to neighbors and friends. This first one is from some elm. Most of what we have around here is chinese elm but this was different. I'm not sure what kind it is other than elm. But it has some pretty wild color in it. It's 12" by 2.5".

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/Elmbowl1.jpg

This one is from some silver maple that I tried to spalt myself. It was in a bag of dirt with a few horse biscuits and some miracle grow for most of the summer. It didn't spalt much though. It's 10 " x 4"

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/silvermaplebowl5.jpg

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Curt those are beautiful. Great choices of wood you have there. Should make for good conversation while enjoying some munchies.:)

Mike Vickery
11-24-2007, 10:41 AM
They are both nice. THe color in that Elm bowl is outstanading.

Glenn Hodges
11-24-2007, 10:57 AM
That elm grabs my eye, and I am sure it will be attractive to others.

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Very pretty bowls Curt!

Like the others - that elm bowl just jumps out at you! Very pretty wood and I really like the rim!

The maple looks like it was starting to spalt but you made me laugh when I got to thinking how it must have smelled when you first turned it... I mean covered with dirt, horse bisquits and all!!!

Overall - very nice work and I am sure they will make wonderful gifts!

Allen Schmid
11-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Curt,
Great job with the bowls! It gives me some hope with my elm that I picked up from a buddy of mine! The maple is just as nice.
Thanks for sharing.
Allen

John Shuk
11-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Curt,
Those are nice looking bowls.
I inadvertantly spalted some maple myself. I had a very green blank that I planned on turning in a few days time so I put in double plastic shopping bags tied tightly. No other organic material involved. Well I forgot about it for about 6 months and when I took it out it stunk badly and had a layer of mung on the outside. It was pretty nicely spalted and turned like green wood should. I finish turned it in one session and dried it somewhat by leaving it spinning on the lathe at high speed with a light bulb set up in the bowl. There wasn't any cracking over time.

robert hainstock
11-24-2007, 1:18 PM
Those are realy nice pieces. That elm is very interesting , and it is rare that maple has any color variation at all. GOOD JOB!
:)

Jim Becker
11-24-2007, 2:47 PM
I especially love that first on, Curt...a whole lot of character in that platter! Whatever kind of "elm" it is...it's outstanding!

Alex Elias
11-24-2007, 3:31 PM
I must agree that Elm has some nice grain and color there. I like both and seems like someone is going to be happy with those gifts. To bad I'm not your neighbor:)
Congrats
Alex

Johnathan Bussom
11-24-2007, 7:06 PM
Curt, did you rough turn that silver maple before trying to :eek: SPALT it??

Great looking bowls spalted or not, but not great enough for me to move to Utah as a neighbor to get one:)

Ron Hipp
11-24-2007, 7:38 PM
Curt, very nice bowls the elm has a very interesting grain pattern.
May I ask what finish was used?
Ron

Ed Scolforo
11-24-2007, 7:56 PM
Curt, as everyone else has said, great looking bowls. The elm is striking.

Paul Engle
11-24-2007, 8:17 PM
Well done Curt! striking indeed.

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Curt those are beauties. I love the Elm. Man that is some color.

Skip Spaulding
11-25-2007, 7:57 AM
Great bowls! Hope the neighbor that gets the horse poop inpregnated one doesn't visit this site!

Curt Fuller
11-25-2007, 9:46 AM
Great bowls! Hope the neighbor that gets the horse poop inpregnated one doesn't visit this site!

HaHaHa! I'm sure everyone has a neighbor they'd like to give a bowl of biscuits. Hopefully I turned away all of the 'big stuff'.

George Conklin
11-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Those are nice, Curt. What type of finish did you use?
Thanks for sharing.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-25-2007, 1:20 PM
That's some lovely work, Curt!

As far as spalting goes---I have a few bits of maple that are fairly severely spalted. The main reason is that I haven't worked up the guts to try out the chainsaw I bought over a year ago, and they've been sitting outside my front door ever since I moved to my little apartment.

Oh, well---maybe one of these days I'll actually juice up the guts (, support, and safety equipment) to cut that maple into blanks...