PDA

View Full Version : X-MAS Book Recommendations Please

Ken Frohnert
11-24-2007, 9:18 AM
I am trying to come up with some reasonably priced x-mas gifts for my x-mas list; e.g. that rules out things like 8" jointer. Since I am still a novice woodworker I was thinking about the following books ideas:

1.) A good general workworking book that covers in detail how to do various woodworking tasks using power tools. I am especailly interested in joints.

2.) Getting ready to get a bandsaw so thought a good bandsaw book would be helpful in setting one up properly, tuning it up, and then learning how to use it to its full potential safely.

Thanks for the input on my x-mas reading material.

Mike Cutler
11-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Books I would recommend.

Tage Frid teaches Woodworking. 3 volume set with DVD.

Router Magic by Bill Hylton.

Bandsaw Handbook by Mark Duginske.

Any book on finishing by Bob Flexner, or Jeff Jewitt.

Jigs and Fixtures Bible by Cris DeCristoforo.

Sam Allen, and Gary Rogowsinski(sp.) both have excelent books on joinery. The book by Allen is more intensive.

Jim Tolpin has a good book on the tablesaw also.

Just a few suggestions from me. I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions.

Randal Stevenson
11-24-2007, 10:54 AM
I would start with your public library. Any books that interest you, that they don't have, would be the first ones I buy. Then get the ones you really like from the library and seem to keep checking out.

Pete Clifford
11-24-2007, 12:10 PM
If you want a book on joinery using power tools, there is a book that addresses this explicit question: Classic Joints with Power Tools, by Yueng Chan. I think you will find this to be an excellent resource, covering the construction of joints both common and those that you haven't even heard of.

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Any of James Krenov's books or Tage Frid's , all good stuff. Frid's for basics , Krenov's for inspiration.

Todd Bin
11-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I know books are great and I certainly have a lot of them; but what about DVD's that demonstrate woodworking. Marc Adams has a bunch and David Marks has a couple and even Duginske has one on powertool setup and bandsaw setup.

Todd

John Shuk
11-24-2007, 1:02 PM
I have The Joint Book by Terrie Noll. It is a really good resource. It is ring bound and easy to keep open in a messy shop too! http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780785822271&itm=1

Ken Frohnert
11-25-2007, 8:28 AM
I wish the local library was a better source. It is small and has a poor selection of woodworking books - I don't think WW is very popular in this area. We have few woodworking stores as well.

I did add the following to my list:
Workbench: Schwartz
Classic Joints with PTs: Chun
The Joint Book: Noll
Bandsaw: Duginske

I will let you know what I actually get for x-mas.

frank shic
11-25-2007, 10:00 AM
check out the latest spiral-bound book by glen huey on reproduction furniture. it will blow your socks away what this man builds!