PDA

View Full Version : What's the "central" power tool in your shop? (brand name if applicable)

Rich Engelhardt
11-24-2007, 8:20 AM
Hello,
I've noticed a few general trends here, mostly based on what types of "projects" people build. Some people seem geared towards a TS as the "central" tool, while a few others lean towards a "router solution" or a "band saw solution" .

Myself, I'm leaning towards a "router solution", due to what I'm finding is the sheer versatility of a router.

I'd been considering saving up for a table saw upgrade, but..

A few of the recent threads really got me wondering. A dado blade for instance. I'd like to get one ,,, but,,for the price of a couple of them, I could buy a router - a very good router and a guide system- to do pretty much the same job.

I'm slowing coming to the conclusion that most of the power equipment I have is ancillary to the router(s).

As far as brand name is concerned, it seem like the Porter Cable is the router that most of them are judged by and/or the vast majority of accessories are geared towards.

Anyhow - just a curious thought for an after holiday weekend.

Bob Genovesi
11-24-2007, 8:26 AM
My Jet tablesaw takes center stage in my shop..

James Phillips
11-24-2007, 8:27 AM
SS cabinet saw

Charles Wiggins
11-24-2007, 8:45 AM
I'm still 'building' my compliment of tools (don't have BS, DP, planer), and not getting a lot done yet, but most of my projects seem to involve the TS, with the router/router table a close second. I've done a couple of small things without the TS since I got my CMS, but I don't imagine I'd be too anxious to get out in the shop if I had to rip lumber or cut sheet goods by hand.

My TS is Old Iron - a Rockwell/Delta 9" combo with a 4" joiner. If I was going to upgrade I would probably get a contractor saw (Ridgid, Jet, Delta) and build my own station around it and eventually get a Biesemeyer fence system.

My routers are both PC.

Charlie Plesums
11-24-2007, 8:48 AM
I have a MiniMax combo machine with sliding scoring table saw, shaper, jointer, planer, and mortiser. But I still use a hand router rather than a dado blade for dados, so that it follows any warp in the panel.

I have DeWalt and Festool routers.

James Suzda
11-24-2007, 8:52 AM
My Grizzly table saw.

Jim Hill
11-24-2007, 8:52 AM
My General 650 cabinet saw.

Jim

scott spencer
11-24-2007, 8:57 AM
My Craftsman 22124 TS is the most used tool in my shop. My router is indeed the most versatile. I can do dado cuts with both tools, but I can't trim down stock with the router...especially rough stock, I really need both, and can't see one replacing the other.

Todd Bin
11-24-2007, 9:13 AM
If I was going to buy only 1 router and base all my work on it then it would be the Festool OF1400. Try the Festool, I think you will find that for $150 more than the big PC it's features justify the price.

Note. I am not a dealer just a WW like everyone else here and have no affiliation with Festool other than I happen to like their tools.

Todd

Dewayne Reding
11-24-2007, 9:19 AM
Craftsman 22124 by a wide margin. Uncle Norm's router station stays busy. I suspect my Rikon BS will take over some tasks as I get more comfortable with it.

Don Bullock
11-24-2007, 9:33 AM
My SawStop is the center of my shop.

I don't, however, see how that relates to your situation. If you don't have a "good" router or equivilent hand tools, you are missing out on an important tool for the woodshop. You are correct in your assumption that one will help with many tasks and that many "add ons" are based on the PC brand. A router and router table will help with many different tasks.

Bill Huber
11-24-2007, 9:38 AM
I have a very small shop, 12x16 so I have to really watch what tools I have and not get to wild and get everything.

With the projects that I have build to date this is the way I would rank them as to use.

The 54 year old 8 inch Craftsman Table Saw.
The Bosch router and Jessem Router Table
The Ridgid oscillating edge belt sander EB4424.
The Ridgid 13 inch TP1300LS planner.
The 30 year old Craftsman Drill Press.

Now if you told me you were going to take some of my power tools away I guess I would give up my sander first, then the planner.

Lori Kleinberg
11-24-2007, 9:41 AM
Even though I have been at this for a few years now, I still consider myself a beginner :o. I do alot of projects from magazines and their weekend projects usually takes me 6 months to do :(.
Anyway that being said, I could never get by without a TS (Rigid 2400, I think). Never the less I also could not complete alot of projects without my routers (Dewalt)and my Bench Dog router table.

Rich Engelhardt
11-24-2007, 9:45 AM
Hi Don,
I do have 3 routers already - and thinking about adding more to that number down the road. Of the 3, the Freud 1700 is a "good one". Not great, but "good". Accessories are a bit difficult to find for it though. Every time I see something I'd like to get - even simple bushings - they all seem geared towards the PC.

I guess my "situation" is that I tend to associate people (posters) with their preferred "style" - stuff they build/projects they turn out. When I see a post of something someone has done, I try to think of all the steps taken to get there, and what tools they used.
The "stuff" that really get's my attention, has more often than not, been "stuff" that a router has been the central tool used to produce it.

I dunno, does that make sense?

Art Mann
11-24-2007, 9:49 AM
Quite honestly, I can't think of any woodworking project of any size and scope in which the router is the most important or most often used tool. It is, however, one of the tools I enjoy using the most.

Like so many others have already said, the tablesaw is the tool I use the most often and the one I consider the most essential for the kinds of projects I do.

Chuck Lenz
11-24-2007, 9:51 AM
Delta 34-445X Contractors table saw.

Brian Hale
11-24-2007, 9:54 AM
Front and center is my Bridgewood BW10LTS table saw. Built Like A Tank!

Don Bullock
11-24-2007, 9:54 AM
Sorry, I guess I didn't understand the question.

I have to agree with Art on this one and add that my SCMS has stepped in and taken over many duties that I used to do on a table saw. I still consider the table saw the central tool of my shop.

Gary Keedwell
11-24-2007, 9:56 AM
My Uni is the centerpiece of my shop...pride and joy.

Gary

Larry Fox
11-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Delta Uni - rock solid

Jim Becker
11-24-2007, 10:12 AM
My table saw is the central element of my shop...a MiniMax S315WS slider with an 8.5' wagon.

Routers to play important roles in my shop, but they are generally "supporting actors" for the way I work.

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Delta TS is central to all I do.. The router tables add a lot of options and are vital but 2nd...

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 10:20 AM
I would have to say it's a harmony of all of my tools. I do a cut on the saw then take it to the router then to a glueing station then to the drum sander so on and so on. I do like using my dado blade for dados more than my router because the pull of the bit goes into the table vs a circular cut from a router. I do small projects so the router can be a little dangerous. If you don't have the footprint for a table saw, a bandsaw is a great alternative too.

Mac Cambra
11-24-2007, 10:39 AM
For me the fundamental tools are TS, jointer, planer and bandsaw. These tools form the structural basis of all of my furniture projects. Tools like the router add to the aesthetic elements.

1. Delta unisaw.
2. Grizzly 8" jointer with Byrd Shelix
3. Shop Fox 20" planer with helical cutter head.
4. MM16

Don't get me wrong the routers are important but not the central tool. Going forward I can see hand tools taking a more important role.

Allen Bookout
11-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Delta 3hp Unisaw.

Jesse Cloud
11-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Festool multifunction table with a TS55 saw and OF1400 router that use the same guiderails and dust extraction.

Stan Welborn
11-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Bandsaw, MM20. In conjunction with the jointer and SCMS.

Seldom use my tablesaw. It's the only tool in my shop that's mobile. Just so I can stick it in the corner, and when the rare need for it arises, I can roll it out. I don't think I've used it since I got my jointer. Maybe if I had a really nice cabinet saw or slider I would, but even then, I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost/space.

Mike Marcade
11-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Mine is a Delta Contractor Saw with a bench dog router table as the left wing. With all the mods done to the Contractor saw I probably could have bought a cabinet saw by now. :eek:

Mark Singer
11-24-2007, 12:09 PM
for me it is usually the SawStop tablesaw. My work bench and hand tools are a key element in creating "hand built " pieces. My minimax technomax elite is a great follow up center, with planning, joining and mortising

David Tiell
11-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Without doubt it's my Shop Fox cabinet saw.

michael osadchuk
11-24-2007, 12:28 PM
.....interesting thought.... I wonder if in Europe where "workshop" space seems more limited and tablesaw costs are higher, amateur woodworkers have leaned more toward portable power tools, including the router.....
..... certainly, the router has been the new power tool of the last decade and a half, with lots of good books on techniques and jigs for extending its use, so it would be interesting to hear of the experience of anyone who has gone the route of foregoing a tablesaw and attempting to substitute routers (and other tools)...
..... off the top of my head, the easy/quick guides of the miter gauge and the fence of the tablesaw are hard to beat; could the fence of a router table be made to be as versatile and as quick to set up a cut.....

regarding Porter-Cable routers: agreed they are popular and I have the 690 model, but for hand-held use of a mid-size router, I typically reach for the DeWalt 621; with its easy to hook on to vacuum attachment, dust collection makes for more accurate and safer operation with minimal housekeeping.....

Jeffrey Schronce
11-24-2007, 12:47 PM
As far as brand name is concerned, it seem like the Porter Cable is the router that most of them are judged by and/or the vast majority of accessories are geared towards.

Anyhow - just a curious thought for an after holiday weekend.

Porter Cable set the standard and how now fell behind in hand held routers. Bosch, DeWalt, Festool, Triton, Milwuakee all have better hand held units. The PC 7518 is still kind of the standard for big router table motors, though Milwaukee has a little more powerful, less expensive option that is really catching on.

Since PC set the standard, you are correct that PC bushings seem to be the standard or as close to a standard as you can get in WWing.

James Williams 007
11-24-2007, 1:00 PM
I use my jet TS everytime im in my shop couldn't live with out it. My two routers are always handy though Bosch and porter cable! A good Dado blade is better than a router because the different sizes you can achieve.

glenn bradley
11-24-2007, 1:21 PM
TS / RT combo is center stage with BS playing a supporting role. All other tools are mobile.

Andy Coverdale
11-24-2007, 4:05 PM
I am moving my Unisaw out. There is nothing I can do on it that I can't do better and safer on my:
Dewalt Radial arm saw
Powermatic 20" Bandsaw
and my EZ Smart guide to cut up panels.

Brett Halle
11-24-2007, 4:27 PM
It's a toss up ... certainly for material prep my Unisaw and Dewalt SCMS take center stage but I am finding that my ShopBot and lasers are taking over as the most used tools in the shop.

Burt Waddell
11-24-2007, 4:37 PM
Until about a year ago, the Unisaw would have been the center of my shop. Now it has been replaced with the EZ Smart System using both the square and PBB.

The router is an important member of the shop but I see the primnary cutting tool more as the cneter of the shop.

Burt

Gary Keedwell
11-24-2007, 4:41 PM
Until about a year ago, the Unisaw would have been the center of my shop. Now it has been replaced with the EZ Smart System using both the square and PBB.

The router is an important member of the shop but I see the primnary cutting tool more as the cneter of the shop.

Burt

Gee Burt...What took you so long?:rolleyes::)

Gary

Steve Clardy
11-24-2007, 5:31 PM
Cabinet saw and SCMS

John Ricci
11-24-2007, 5:47 PM
Shopsmith Mk5/510 with all the toys...for now until I can get my late fathers Unisaw back from the aging friend he sold it to. The guy has already done himself a TS injury in the past and I'm waiting for him to hang it up someday soon. My mom keeps reminding him that I want it:cool:

J.R.

Dave Lewis
11-24-2007, 6:40 PM
My Delta Unisaw and maple workbench occupy the shop central location

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 6:43 PM
My Knapp Combination Machine.

Jeff Raymond
11-24-2007, 7:31 PM
I'd have to say the TS...but the 12" wide x 8' jointer is closing in on the home stretch. Hmmmm.

Michael Lutz
11-24-2007, 8:56 PM
For me it would be my, PM 66 table saw. I guess I consider the router to be secondary, since I am only just getting around to adding a router table to the shop.

Mike

Steve knight
11-24-2007, 9:24 PM
It's a toss up ... certainly for material prep my Unisaw and Dewalt SCMS take center stage but I am finding that my ShopBot and lasers are taking over as the most used tools in the shop.

me too well I have a shopbot but no laser yet. shopbot then my used unisaw and sanders and chopsaw are the most used.

Vernon Taylor
11-24-2007, 9:40 PM
My first inclination was to answer that the tablesaw was the most central.Delta uni w/excalibur slider. Reflecting on it considering other posts I have to say the most essential to me would have to be the planer. I work almost exclusivly with solid wood bought in rough form,without the planer I do not have the skill or inclination to hand plane boards, I would not want to,but could find alternatives to cut to size.

Rod Sheridan
11-24-2007, 9:40 PM
Oneida cyclone, General 650..............Rod.

nic obie
11-24-2007, 9:41 PM
I just went out and counted, and even though I have 8 routers (I hate to change bits) and a big kick ass band saw that seems to be used the most, I would have to say that the table saw is the most important even if just for the table.

You have to have some where flat to assemble your stuff. :D

Chuck Burns
11-25-2007, 1:06 AM
SS Table Saw, Bosche 12" SCMS. Just getting a router table set up. Have a Milwaukee 5625 on order to go in a Woodpecker PRL. I know PC seems to be the std but I've had better luck with Milwaukee. My 35 years old Milwaukee router runs as good as the day I bought it and I've done nothing but use it and replace brushes. The 5625 is cheaper and more powerful than the big PC.

Denny Rice
11-25-2007, 1:06 AM
Just like Scott my zip code 22124 with recently built outfeed table takes center stage in my shop.

Keith Outten
11-25-2007, 6:31 AM
For thirty years my table saw has been the central machine in my shop. Because of changes in the kind of work I now do in my shop my CNC Router has taken the top spot, in fact between the EZ Guide system and my ShopBot my table saw has been partially retired.

I have recently removed the 62" slider from my table saw and as soon as I get a few minutes I will be removing the 50" right side table and reinstall the original cast wing. I purchased a mobile base for the saw so I can store it in the corner of my shop and reclaim the floor space it has been occupying for many years. I'm not ready to give it up entirely just yet but it doesn't warrant the floor space it takes up anymore.

I have been putting off this task for a long time but it must be done, floor space is something I lack and need more then anything these days.

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2007, 7:06 AM
Hello,

Because of changes in the kind of work I now do in my shop my CNC Router has taken the top spot, in fact between the EZ Guide system and my ShopBot my table saw has been partially retired.

As I pretty much figured, the TS is runaway "king of the floorspace" in all but a few shops - so far.
Some really interesting alternatives are popping up though.:)

Karl Laustrup
11-25-2007, 9:35 AM
My X-31 Combo machine. Close second a tie with band saw and drill press.

Karl

Mike Heidrick
11-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I have a Wood shop that is my detached garage and storage for my tractor.

For wood working the SS cabinet saw and Router table I made gets the award for central power tools.

Truth is though that I do a ton of other work out there as well. For that the corner stones of my shop are my Sams Club Stainless tool box (and the hand tools inside), my LXT 202 Makita set (drill and impact from Mark at Heavy Duty Tools), and the bench and vise.

Right this minute I have a 72" 7-iron mid mount belly mower that weighs in at 650lbs hanging from a set of pallet forks on the loader of my Deere 3320 tractor. I have it chest high and just finished cleaning 3 years of buildup from the underside and the blades have been removed for sharpening and so I can paint the underside of the deck.

Also my Dewalt 18V radio is one of my most used tools. Its on for WW or anything else in the shop.

Just my perspective.

Steven Wilson
11-25-2007, 2:26 PM
Minimax CU350 combination machine (8.5' slider w/ dato, tilting arbor shaper, 14" jointer, 14" planer, horizontal mortiser) is the main shop item, flanked by a Minimax MM20 bandsaw, Oneway 2436 lathe, and Oneida cyclone.

gary Zimmel
11-25-2007, 4:56 PM
For me it would be my Unisaw

Dave Malen
11-25-2007, 5:24 PM
My Jet cabinet saw. However routers are invaluable tools for many jobs. They just can't cut lumber. I also love using my Laguna 14se Bandsaw for cutting veneers.

Dave

Jon Lanier
11-25-2007, 8:01 PM
With what I mainly do or have been doing I'd have to say my Hawk G4 Scrollsaw. I would think that a Table saw would be most everyone's main item, but my table saw is just good enough to cut close to what I need. For precision work it is a disaster. When that 'dream' saw comes, it'll be the focal point of my shop.

Don Stutsman
11-25-2007, 9:42 PM
Delta cabinet saw is central; however, the router table gets plenty of use as well.

Dave Falkenstein
11-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Festool multifunction table with a TS55 saw and OF1400 router that use the same guiderails and dust extraction.

I agree with Jesse (and sort of agree with Burt) but I'll add my Jet cabinet saw as a tie for the most-used, can't-do-without tool.

Greg Pavlov
11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I just went out and counted, and even though I have 8 routers (I hate to change bits) and a big kick ass band saw that seems to be used the most, I would have to say that the table saw is the most important even if just for the table.
You have to have some where flat to assemble your stuff. :D
When I read your post I got a picture in my mind of you pulling out a bit you needed to use and running down to the store to buy a router to put it in.... came from a Simpsons episode where George wants some chocolate ice cream, so he opens up the freezer which is packed with vanilla-chocolate-strawberry hafl-gallon boxes, but the chocolate is gone from all of them, so he yells out "Marge, we need some more vanilla-chocolate-strawberry ice cream!"

Jason Stein
11-25-2007, 11:04 PM
My Grizzly G1023SLW is first. Most projects make their way to my Rockler router table next.

Danny Thompson
11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
LOL. Humble pie, here. My central tool is a Franken-combo table saw/router table: a $99 10" Delta table saw embedded in a 3' x 7' workbench with a drop-in Hitachi router off to the right and a Biesemeyer fence with 7' rails. Not an incredible amount of power, but with the Biese fence my cuts are always square and true. An incredibly versatile machine cobbled together over time.

If I had to choose TS or router, it would be TS. No question. First off, the router is hurts my ears more, makes much finer dust, and I believe the bits wear faster than a blade.

Randy Klein
11-26-2007, 7:00 AM
came from a Simpsons episode where George wants some chocolate ice cream, so he opens up the freezer which is packed with vanilla-chocolate-strawberry hafl-gallon boxes, but the chocolate is gone from all of them, so he yells out "Marge, we need some more vanilla-chocolate-strawberry ice cream!"

George?! Does Homer know about this guy?

Gary Muto
11-26-2007, 7:40 AM
My table saw and drill press are probably the two most used used. Likely since they are set up and ready to go. the router table is probably next. Lately though I've done away with mortising in the router table since I never got great results with that method. I find that I use my CMS less since, again my table saw is ready to go and cross cutting is really convenient with an Incra 1000se. some day I plan to get an incra LS table saw fence and use that on the table saw with an integrated router table.
Don't get me wrong, I like my routers, but the TS and DP are always ready to go.

Ron Bontz
11-26-2007, 11:46 AM
I must say that although I love my unisaw I also have a router table I use alot. I make pretty much all my own moldings for the various projects. I have found over the years that no one tool can really be central if you build a variety of items. One tool greatly enhances the other. My work bench is what I use the most, however. OK, so it doesn't have a power cord hooked to it. But it is used for a work table, assembly table, storage, and organizer. At times a dinner table, (family get together) and once or twice a place to take a nap. I was in the dog house then. Ha. It is the one tool I have had the longest and has taken the most abuse. Just a thought.:)