PDA

View Full Version : "self powered rotary sander"

Ben Richardson
11-24-2007, 1:45 AM
I am trying to find a rotary sander for work on bowls. I don't like the Sorby one as it has only bushings not ball bearings. Do any of you know where to get said device?

Gordon Seto
11-24-2007, 2:06 AM
Ben,

Don't know whether Greg still has them. He took some passive sanders to our Club meeting, they comes with 2 different size sanding heads. I believe they can be hooked up to vacuum also.

Greg Jensen
gnjensen@cox.net

Gordon

joe greiner
11-24-2007, 6:48 AM
Remnant of arm from patio chair - roadside orphan. $0.
1/4-20 hex nut with nylon-insert locking nut. About $0.50 max.
Small chunk of cabinet-grade plywood. About $0.
5/16-18 carriage bolt, threaded full length with hex nut and washer. Also about $0.50 max.
Inline skate wheel, with two ball bearings - garage sale, 8 for about $6, or about $0.75 each.
Another hex nut. About $0.10 max.
Slice of swimming pool toy (noodle). Epoxy to wheel. Approx. $0.
Sandpaper disc. Spray adhesive to noodle. Say $0.50 (just because).

Total $2.35. Could add hook-and-loop for a little more.
Sorby (CSUSA), with bushing instead of ball bearings: about $50, plus shipping.

Joe

John Taylor
11-24-2007, 7:42 AM
HI

I think the one Gordon mentions is the Vicmark one here (http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=547).

In my opinion it is the best one on the market, it has sealed twin bearings on the shaft and is a dream to use. The only things that doesnt work for me is attaching the vacum to it to remove the dust. I have found this doesnt work and the additional tube just gets in the way.

I have several other makes of sanders and had nothing but problems with them, since getting this one the others are all left in the draw.

john

John Hart
11-24-2007, 7:54 AM
Cool Tool Joe! :)

Greg Just
11-24-2007, 7:59 AM
Cool Tool Joe! That's what is great about these Forums - sharing of the special tools and techniques that we develop

Tom Hamilton
11-24-2007, 8:41 AM
Very cool Joe, I'll take one with the hook and loop option please and a blue noodle slice. Regular ground shipment will be fine.

Best regards, Tom

John Shuk
11-24-2007, 9:44 AM
Joe,
Why is this the first time we are seeing this?!
Very cool.

Paul Engle
11-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice work Joe, I ran into same problem, they turn to junk in a while , I converted burned out orbital h&l by just using the clutch and pad I mounted in a stick ,one at 5 in and I cut another down to 4" and use em on all surfaces that I can reach.I wore out two no name brands motors doing F_____ work and cut the armatures off, works great and is VERY quiet....

Curt Fuller
11-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Remnant of arm from patio chair - roadside orphan. $0.
1/4-20 hex nut with nylon-insert locking nut. About $0.50 max.
Small chunk of cabinet-grade plywood. About $0.
5/16-18 carriage bolt, threaded full length with hex nut and washer. Also about $0.50 max.
Inline skate wheel, with two ball bearings - garage sale, 8 for about $6, or about $0.75 each.
Another hex nut. About $0.10 max.
Slice of swimming pool toy (noodle). Epoxy to wheel. Approx. $0.
Sandpaper disc. Spray adhesive to noodle. Say $0.50 (just because).

Total $2.35. Could add hook-and-loop for a little more.
Sorby (CSUSA), with bushing instead of ball bearings: about $50, plus shipping.

Joe

Excellent idea!

Kevin McPeek
11-24-2007, 11:00 AM
I just use an inline skate wheel with the mandrel for a sanding pad stuck through it. I have multiple mandrels so I can have a few grits mounted and just swap mandrels.

David Fried
11-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Sorby (CSUSA), .... about $50, plus shipping.

What!!??!! I bought mine online, on sale for about half that. I just checked that same site and they have it listed at $52!!!:eek: Whoaa.

I paid $28 and at that price I'm happy with it. I got to use it immediately, it works, it came with some sample sanding discs - well worth the twenty-odd bucks. I don't think it is worth $50+.

I think the use of bushings vs. bearings is an engineering trade-off and it works fine with bushings. Occasionally, I break out the spray lithium grease and give it and the live center a shot.

I was thinking about getting the three inch pad for it but I have some old inline skates the kids have out-grown and I really like this homemade version. Think I'll give it try - thanks for posting it.:D

Ben Richardson
11-24-2007, 1:31 PM
Thanks for all your replies! This forum is much better that a Google search!:D

Allen Neighbors
11-25-2007, 8:09 PM
I made mine from Rollerblade wheels, flip-flop shower shoes, Industrial Strength self-stick velcro, 1/4" allthread, 3/4" dowel, and contact cement.
At 3" diameter, they work very well. Since this pic, I now have about 18 or 20 of these. Some are dedicated. A few are 1-1/2", one is 1".

Paul Engle
11-25-2007, 8:34 PM
Allen got the right idea. way to go !

Scott Rathburn
11-25-2007, 9:20 PM
Theere is a very nice but expensive sander at thesandingglove.com . There are all different size disk holders at hard, medium and soft and a adjustable angle head. Take a look.
Scott

Bob Hallowell
11-26-2007, 3:32 AM
Randy Privett is selling them at http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.php

Randy can you tell us anything about them? there duribility. I have had 2 of the woodcraft ones and the both wore out in a month the bushing ate right through the steel and I even lube it.

Bob

joe greiner
11-26-2007, 6:27 AM
I made mine from Rollerblade wheels, flip-flop shower shoes, Industrial Strength self-stick velcro, 1/4" allthread, 3/4" dowel, and contact cement.
At 3" diameter, they work very well. Since this pic, I now have about 18 or 20 of these. Some are dedicated. A few are 1-1/2", one is 1".

Confession time. This is where I got the idea for mine. On another forum several months ago. Thanks Al.

In lieu of trying to guess the correct angle, I made mine adjustable.

Joe