PDA

View Full Version : A First For Me

Mark Hulette
02-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Here's my very first posting that includes a picture. It's a TV stand for my Mother-in-law. Red Oak frame and panel (this is also my first attempt at frame and panel). Sorry about the picture quality/background. Didn't have a really photogenic area to shoot from.

Any and all comments and critiques are welcome.

Todd Burch
02-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Hey Mark - nothing wrong with that! Good job on the frame and panel. There are SO many ways to do them.

Is the bottom shelf dadoed into the bottom rail of the side panels? (And then you added a skirt all the way around?)

How did you mount the middle shelf?

Todd

Thomas Walker
02-15-2004, 5:54 AM
Very nice -- the panels are simple, but look great. The overall proportion also looks very pleasing.

What did you use to stain it? Does it have a protective finish?

Tyler Howell
02-15-2004, 7:58 AM
Hey Mark, Where have you been? :mad: Wading for a year and no posts?? You know they charge extra for that!:D

Dude it was worth the wait. very nice EC. Dito Todd's questions. That's a lot of work for the mother outlaw.
Nice.

Waymon Campbell
02-15-2004, 9:09 AM
Mark -That's an almost perfect match to the computer desk I have in my home office. Same panel/frame look, even down to the trim on the bottom. Color looks about the same too. Great job!

Waymon...

Mark Hulette
02-15-2004, 3:05 PM
Is the bottom shelf dadoed into the bottom rail of the side panels? (And then you added a skirt all the way around?)

How did you mount the middle shelf?

Todd

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Todd- You are correct, sir- I did dado the bottom shelf and I tried something a little different... I did something like a face frame w/ screw pocket joinery on the BACK to lend more stability and rigidity as the TV it is holding is a 36"er. Heavy sucker, too.

The middle shelf is also dadoed.

Thomas- Thanks! I was just going to slap a couple of coats of poly on it as I like natural red oak but in my haste in doing a quick inventory of available material I didn't have enough red oak ply to complete the middle shelf so I used some birch ply and used a wood conditioner before applying red oak stain. There are about 5-6 coats of wipe on satin poly on top. It's actually darker than I envisioned but M-I-L is very pleased so that's what counts.

Tyler- I've been semi-active (I'm no Jim Becker) in posting, Dude. Just haven't posted a picture of my finished projects. Hopefully that will change.

Thanks for looking everyone.

Charles McKinley
02-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi Mark,

Very Nice!

Dan Bundy
02-17-2004, 6:58 AM
Looks great!