PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Scheme for Driftwood Plank

Don Hein
11-24-2007, 1:41 AM
I have an ocean-driftwood plank which I'd like to make into a picture frame.

The wood can be ripped, crosscut, mitered, and/or resawn, or any combination of these cuts.

What are best cutting/joining strategies to end up with the least sawn surface revealed and the maximum weathered surface showing?

A secondary objective is to maximize frame size.

Jim Becker
11-24-2007, 9:54 AM
I'm not sure how those questions can be addressed without seeing said plank...can you provide a picture?? Dimensions?

Bert Johansen
11-24-2007, 6:22 PM
In order to show only the naturally aged driftwood, you won't be able to rout any part of the exposed front of the frame. However, you can create a frame within a frame, to give the profile some depth, and preserve the natural look. You can even create three profiles that fit together--something like the attached drawing. You will have to design around the thickness and width of your plank.

Don Hein
11-24-2007, 9:07 PM
Hi Jim,

Well, actually I have more than one plank, but I was thinking there might be a geometry-based scheme to maximize the weathered surface-area in view when applied to any plank. Since I didn't take geometry in highschool, these kinds of problems usually turn into trial-and-error for me, which could plow through lot of wood in "error" modes.

As to planks, I have some 2x6, 2x8 and 1x4 (nominal) of various lengths from 3 feet to 8 feet. Most are cedar or fir, with one or two 4' former pallet slats of low-grade oak.

I could take, and post, some pictures of the various planks, but I'm really hoping for a "theory" of cutting with general application to any rectangular box (plank). Like the folks who make veneers, I want all the "eye candy" I can get out of my unique woods.