PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck with new Rikon 10-345

Glenn Yoder
11-24-2007, 1:19 AM
I bought a new Rikon 10-345 Wed. I never got to use it. Today I was adjusting the bottom thrust bearing, when I was tightening up the hex screw, it busted the trunnion support bracket. I noticed when I was taking the hex screw loose, I had a hard time getting it loose. Did they use impact to tighten it? It had to have been cracked. I sure didn't have it completely tight yet.
I guess I'll find out Mon. how good Rikon CS is.

Glenn

Bob Genovesi
11-24-2007, 8:03 AM
You can break just about anything if you put too much muscle behind it.

I took a look at Rikon equipment the last time I was at The Woodcraft store and it didn't look all that robust. The Powermatic and SteelCity equipment on the other hand were much more durable and better built and also more expensive.

I remember another brand one of the woodworking stores carried called Reliant and Rikon reminded me of it. It was a lower priced line of equipment that didn't seem to do all that well and then it seemed to disappear.

Mike Marcade
11-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I always use a torque wrench when tightening stuff like that. I am a power lifter and can easily break stuff if I'm not careful. :D

Curt Harms
11-24-2007, 5:21 PM
You can break just about anything if you put too much muscle behind it.

I took a look at Rikon equipment the last time I was at The Woodcraft store and it didn't look all that robust. The Powermatic and SteelCity equipment on the other hand were much more durable and better built and also more expensive.

I remember another brand one of the woodworking stores carried called Reliant and Rikon reminded me of it. It was a lower priced line of equipment that didn't seem to do all that well and then it seemed to disappear.

I think Rikon is a cut above Reliant which was a Woodworkers Warehouse brand. Reliant and Harbor Freight are on par in my opinion. In fact, the 4 speed Reliant 14" band saw & 14" Harbor Freight bandsaw parts are interchangeable. It seems that Rikon is on a par with Jet and the lower end Delta stuff. I agree that most Steel City stuff seems a cut above Rikon, Jet etc. Remember Powermatic is now owned by WMH who also owns Jet. Powermatic=Cadillac, Jet=Pontiac or Chevy.

As far as Rikon's customer service, I think You'll find it pretty good. I had a motor problem and had a replacement in a couple days.

Just my opinion on the matter and we all know about opinions:eek::D.

Curt

Frederick Rowe
11-24-2007, 6:31 PM
Glenn - Sorry to hear about the broken trunnion bracket. I bought a 10-345 almost a year ago and have had no trouble. In fact, it's been one of the best bandsaws I've used. I think you'll find Rikon CS top notch. I had a question about the guide alignment and spoke with Rod who even called back a few days later to check on whether he had fully answered my question.

As for Bob's observation, I disagree. I found the Rikon frame, table trunnion, and table, to be sturdier than the Delta, Steel City, or Jet similar models. It is subjective, but as an owner I can attest to it's quality. The weak point is it's fence, but after market fences and resaw jigs are plentiful. I recently saw the Woodcraft flyer, the 10-345 was/is on sale for $999. Good luck and enjoy your saw when it's back up and running.

Glenn Yoder
11-24-2007, 8:23 PM
I got mine from Woodcraft ( $999.). I talked to them today, they offered to get the parts, said they would bring them out and replace them (60 miles). So will see what next week brings.

Glenn

Bob Genovesi
11-24-2007, 8:48 PM
I think Rikon is a cut above Reliant which was a Woodworkers Warehouse brand. Reliant and Harbor Freight are on par in my opinion. In fact, the 4 speed Reliant 14" band saw & 14" Harbor Freight bandsaw parts are interchangeable. It seems that Rikon is on a par with Jet and the lower end Delta stuff. I agree that most Steel City stuff seems a cut above Rikon, Jet etc. Remember Powermatic is now owned by WMH who also owns Jet. Powermatic=Cadillac, Jet=Pontiac or Chevy.

As far as Rikon's customer service, I think You'll find it pretty good. I had a motor problem and had a replacement in a couple days.

Just my opinion on the matter and we all know about opinions:eek::D.

Curt

Curt,

You are correct, I'm the one that's out to lunch. After I wrote my reply I looked up Rikon and it is a pretty nice piece of woodworking equipment, don't know what I was thinking of.

Must be my age and thinking to early in the morning..http://img439.imageshack.us/img439/2209/deprimetriste294230fr.gif

Phil Harding
11-24-2007, 9:04 PM
I bought a new Rikon 10-345 Wed. I never got to use it. Today I was adjusting the bottom thrust bearing, when I was tightening up the hex screw, it busted the trunnion support bracket. I noticed when I was taking the hex screw loose, I had a hard time getting it loose. Did they use impact to tighten it? It had to have been cracked. I sure didn't have it completely tight yet.
I guess I'll find out Mon. how good Rikon CS is.

Glenn

Mine was last year's Christmas present. Used it all year and then last month when I was changing blades I noticed the the bottom thrust bearing was just hanging loose. I called Rikon and they sent a replacement part in three days. No charge. The repalcement part is a exact copy of the part that failed.

Overall I've been very happy with this saw but I have to admit that although the bracket that holds the thrust bearing and the trunnion support are cast iron, they are in my opinion not very robust. I suspect this problem is a common one because the Rikon service people knew exactly what part I needed.

Good luck,

-- Phil