PDA

View Full Version : Table saw dust

Jack Clay
11-23-2007, 9:23 PM
I have been looking into dust collection for my table saw. I have seen in example a Unisaw that has a chip guard under the blade. I was wondering if anybody has tried to enclose the chip guard and hook the dust collection to this point. The hope being to pull the dust before it is thrown out of the saw or down to the bottom of the saw. Thanks for any input.

frank shic
11-23-2007, 10:04 PM
jack, i'm not sure if i understand you clearly, but it sounds like you want to build a dust shroud that's WITHIN the cabinet saw to pick up sawdust, right? the newer portable table saws like the bosch 4000 and the ridgid but neither one picks up the dust that well compared to an aftermarket device like the sharkguard. place your order now and you might have it in january!

Rick Thom
11-23-2007, 10:29 PM
The General International 50-220 hybrid saw has a dust chute located directly under the blade to improve dust collection.

Chuck Lenz
11-24-2007, 2:06 AM
What table saw are you trying to hookup dust collection to ?
I have been looking into dust collection for my table saw. I have seen in example a Unisaw that has a chip guard under the blade. I was wondering if anybody has tried to enclose the chip guard and hook the dust collection to this point. The hope being to pull the dust before it is thrown out of the saw or down to the bottom of the saw. Thanks for any input.

Bob Genovesi
11-24-2007, 7:42 AM
Due to the rotation of the blade, and gravity, most of the sawdust falls downward into the saws base or on the floor below.

I attached the dust chute to mine and connected the dust collection hose as shown below.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Jet-02.jpg

98% of all the sawdust is vacuumed away.

Jack Clay
11-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I have been looking at the overhead dust collection and from what I read some people like them and some hate them. I have never used a blade guard and the only reason I would want one is the dust collection. I have a Delta contractor saw that I have a dust collector port on the bottom of the saw in a cabinet and I do not pull the dust I only transfer the dust from the bottom of the saw to the collector. This is just one of the reasons I am changing to a Unisaw. It just seems from what I have read here and other sites are that the blade guard is only on for dust collection for the most part.
With the enclosed cabinet on the Unisaw I am sure it will do a better job but I don’t think you would get all the fine dust. Anybody that is using one please let me know. If you could pull the dust off the blade before it thrown at you or in the air, would you need the dust collection on the blade guard? The other issue that I can not check until I change saw is space inside for the enclosure of the saw. I would appreciate any help on this issue.

frank shic
11-24-2007, 10:46 AM
i think the effectiveness of dust collection from the BOTTOM of the blade is being slightly overstated. i had my PM64 hooked up to a dust collector on a relatively short length of tubing and there was still a great deal of dust being hurled out into the air. with the combination of a sharkguard and the dust collection from below, i'm getting pretty close to 100% elimination. if i had room and power for a cyclone, i'm sure it would be perfect.