PDA

View Full Version : Installing the Wolverine Grinding Jig

Ellen Benkin
11-23-2007, 7:53 PM
I've searched the forums and not found this, so here goes.

I have the Wolverine system jig for sharpening turning tools, and I have a Woodcraft slow speed grinder. I may be as dull as my turning tools, but I can't figure out how to mount the grinder on its little board and how to mount the little board on the big board and then how to mount the jig. I have the Wolverine instructions, but I don't find them useful. Does anyone have instructions -- with pictures?

Thanks.

Jim Becker
11-23-2007, 8:14 PM
The way I did it was to glue the little board to the big board first. Then mark and drill for a couple 1/4" bolts to mount the grinder, being sure to countersink on the bottom for the bolt head and a fender washer. (or a carriage bolt head) Then measure to figure out how long the bolt needs to be and acquire the same. The rest is just busy-work!

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2007, 8:40 PM
Ditto what Jim said. I did the same thing and on the bottom I used a forstner bit to recess the head so it would be flat with the board.

Neal Addy
11-23-2007, 9:22 PM
Ellen, if it helps, here's how I did it.

The base is a piece of 9"x20"x3/4" MDF. The center riser is a 8"x6"x1/2" piece of plywood. The grinder is mounted with two 2-1/2 carriage bolts.

I used a forstner bit to sink the bolts on the bottom. The black things on the bottom are stick-on rubber pads.

Tony Wheeler
11-23-2007, 9:49 PM
do the wheels have to be a certain height above the fixture or is the spacer wood only to clear the fixture with the wheels I did not use a spacer board I hope that I was jsut lucky with my grinder that I didn't need a shim

Jeff Clow
11-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I too am using the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. My board is almost identical to Neal's. The instructions from Oneway tell the height of the center of the grinding wheels, I believe 6 1/2".

Neal Addy
11-24-2007, 1:09 AM
Jeff is correct. The instructions recommend between 6-1/4" to 6-1/2" distance from wheel center to the surface of the base platform. A 1/2" riser puts the WC grinder at the perfect height.

Larry Rupert
11-24-2007, 9:42 AM
This is my base, for a Baldor grinder. I used the little wood strips with brass screws as an edge for the grinder. The grinder just fits inside and that way I don't have to worry about whether or not the grinder or board have moved, etc... Works really well, I'm sure I fussed with it too much.

Larry

Ellen Benkin
11-24-2007, 1:48 PM
Thanks for all the helpful information. I used a 3/4" plywood riser which puts the center of the wheel at 6 1/2". The instructions say the base should be 1/2" or less from the front of the mounting board, but they don't say if they mean the bottom board or the one the grinder is mounted to (the riser). Is that critical? I'm trying to follow instructions and maybe that's my problem.

Neal Addy
11-24-2007, 4:24 PM
I was scratching my head over your 3/4" riser putting the grinder at 6-1/2". Looks like I stand corrected when I said that a 1/2" riser puts the WC grinder at exactly 6-1/2". I just re-measured and it puts it at 6-1/4". As long as your tools ride above the centerline of the wheel you'll be fine either way. Tool edges can catch on the wheel if they get too close to the centerline making for a nasty situation.

I don't see any reason why the 1/2" base distance is critical. The front of my arm guides are in-line with the front of my grinder base. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why it would make a difference?

Tim A. Mitchell
11-24-2007, 5:06 PM
I don't have one (Yet, Santa. . . hint, hint, hint), but my logic says that it really doesnt matter.

The arms coming out are adjustable length to get the right bevel angle; therefore, exact measure should not matter. The only time this would be an issue, is short or long tool length that are close to the limits.

Does a user disagree?

charles kerry
06-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Bought an wolverine system jig from a friend.

Len Mullin
06-15-2015, 10:45 PM
Tim, your logic is wrong. You'll find out that it matters, if and when Santa brings you one. Following the instructions for set-up, is the best way to go with this system. Capt. Eddie has free instructions/video on how to build one, if you want to go that way.
Len

Roger Chandler
06-16-2015, 6:54 AM
I hope everyone realizes this thread is from 2007.....