PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Chisel Type

Robert Lang
11-23-2007, 5:43 PM
I just obtained several Stanley socket chisels without handles from my father-in-law and was hoping someone could help me figure out the model. I can't seem to find them anywhere on the net or in my books...I have several everlasting and several 750's and they don't have any similar markings. He seems to think they would be from the 1940's but he is just guessing based on when he thinks his friend would have most likely bought them.

Each of them say STANLEY in capital letters at the top of the socket with MADE IN USA in caps just below the word STANLEY. They seem to be bench chisels since they are too long to be butts and too short to be paring. But they could have been paring at some point and just used a bunch. They have all been ground/sharpened at least once.

The milling marks look a bit more course as compared to my other Stanley chisels...not sure if this helps.

Sizes ranges from 1/4" to 2".

Roger Bell
11-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Since nobody has stepped up, I will give it a try.

See my reply to the Stanley 720/750 post a couple lines down.

Yours are very common and resemble the 720/750 depending on the length EXCEPT for, as you note, the quality of the milling and the finish. The 720/750 series were the top of the line, according to vintage catalogues I own, showing relative prices. You can really see the difference in polish by comparing examples of each.

Steel is always a wild card with Stanley....I suspect that their quality control was also a bit wild. In other words, I have had good no-model designated model steel and not so great model-designated steel.

Mr Walter shows a number of look-alikes in his book. Not all are designated by a model number stamped on the socket.

Most of this kind were made from around 1930 until nearly 1970. My dad was using these no-names, bought new, in the 1960's....I have a few of his.

In terms of resale, the designated models command the prices....the others simply don't. That's the internet....creating value and devaluating others. So don't take this post as gospel.......just what I have gleaned from my own inquiries and experience.

Robert Lang
11-25-2007, 8:07 AM
Roger, thanks for the input. I agree with not paying a premium for the Stanley's if they are to be users. I must have 15 different brand chisels from the mid 1800's thru the 1950's and most are great users. I have some collectors too as I have a very decent size antique tool collection (my disease) and none of been re-touched since purchased.

These are a vintage I have just not ever entertained owning but the price was right...I am going to spend some time on a few of them and see how they are. My hope is only that they are good users.