PDA

View Full Version : Mission Style cabinet w pics

Chris Zenda
11-23-2007, 5:25 PM
This is my first attempt at making a piece of furniture, 80% of the lumber was rough sawn from my father in laws property. However, I hope no building codes were violated by doing so.

Lee Koepke
11-23-2007, 5:28 PM
Nice.

I wish I could get the wifey to introduce some wood into our living room. I have been die-ing to build a nice entertainment center with some walnut / maple combo.

Paul Girouard
11-23-2007, 5:35 PM
However, I hope no building codes were violated by doing so.

None that I see :D Looks nice.

Bill Bryant
11-23-2007, 6:10 PM
Two questions:

1. What kind of joinery did you use?
2. What kind of amp is that sitting on top?

Rich Torino
11-23-2007, 6:11 PM
Chris,
real nice work..... was it your own design?

Jim Becker
11-23-2007, 6:17 PM
Chris...I don't think you have any issue with codes... :D

Seriously, that's a very nice piece. I need to do something similar for our new multi-purpose room in the addition...about that size, even. Great job!

scott spencer
11-23-2007, 6:35 PM
Nice design...looks like an original.... shall we name it the "Chris-Zenda credenza"? :D Very, very nice!

Is that a tube amp? :)

Bill Wyko
11-23-2007, 6:41 PM
Chris that's a real beauty. Nice work.

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 1:29 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback guys, the jointery was a mixture of cope and stick, Tongue and groove, mortise and tenon and some dado butt joints. I really didn't have a plan or even a sketch . I just started jointing some really beautiful 1" cherry boards and had a top with no idea what to do next until my wife sold our ugly 55" projection tv and bought the plasma.
The tube amp is a Dared mp5 amp , very warm compact amplifier that also looks fantastic, IMO.

Rick Gifford
11-24-2007, 7:19 AM
It looks very good. I love the style as well. Really a nice looking peice. Congrats on a job well done!

Jim Dunn
11-24-2007, 8:32 AM
So long as your FIL doesn't want the wood back now, your all right.

NIce looking piece of furniture.

Gary Garmar
11-24-2007, 9:15 AM
Beautiful, very well done. Only suggestion I would have is make the next one out of quartersawn white Oak.

Randal Stevenson
11-24-2007, 11:11 AM
This is my first attempt at making a piece of furniture, 80% of the lumber was rough sawn from my father in laws property. However, I hope no building codes were violated by doing so.

Hopefully your Fil doesn't live in a log cabin, that you obtained the wood from.:D

Looks good!

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Hopefully your Fil doesn't live in a log cabin, that you obtained the wood from.:D

Looks good!

Randal, His home actually is a log cabin on 30 acres.

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 11:19 AM
[quote=Chris Zenda;701472]

I just started jointing some really beautiful 1" cherry boards and had a top

quote]

So the top only is Cherry?

If that face frame , doors and self edge are Cherry you better check on what tree you cut down, there could very well have been a violation as it sure looks like flat sawn Red Oak to me. :confused:

Randal Stevenson
11-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Randal, He home actually is a log cabin on 30 acres.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If not a violation, your sure as heck gonna make him cold this winter, cutting up his house like that! :D

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 11:27 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If not a violation, your sure as heck gonna make him cold this winter, cutting up his house like that! :D

Check my staircase thread for the explanation of the code violation.;)

David G Baker
11-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Chris,
You have definitely violated every building code in existence. Your fine and punishment will to forfeit the furniture you built from the lumber and forward it to me in Mid Michigan.
Great work!

J D Thomas
11-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Really nice Chris. I especially like the size and proportions.

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 11:55 AM
[quote=Chris Zenda;701472]

I just started jointing some really beautiful 1" cherry boards and had a top

quote]

So the top only is Cherry?

If that face frame , doors and self edge are Cherry you better check on what tree you cut down, there could very well have been a violation as it sure looks like flat sawn Red Oak to me. :confused:

Geez Paul your really taking me to task so heres the explanation;), a couple years ago my father in law gave me a truckload of rough sawn lumber as a Christmas gift and I was down to the last bit of really twisted worm holed and what I thought at the time was unusable lumber. I thought it would be neat to try and use as much of the wood as possible for the project . The top was 2/3 cherry and the remainder ash. The front face frame originally was ash but no matter what I did I couldn't stain it. (stain just wiped off and was very light) I literally spent more time trying to stain and restain the front then it took me to build the whole cabinet. I was very disgusted and probably should have consulted some experts on the forum as far as finishing is concerned as I'm a novice. Finally at a weak moment I gave in and bought some 1/2 Oak slats from Home Depot and just pin nailed them to the face however this posed another problem of having to extend the front top ovehang of the cabinet and I didn't have any cherry left so I glued and face nailed some oak.

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Really nice Chris. I especially like the size and proportions.

Thanks JD,

Whenever I build something I always try to adhere to the golden ratio.

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 12:05 PM
OK that explains it.

glenn bradley
11-24-2007, 2:01 PM
Love that style and really like your design. A suitable pedestal for that Dared.

jim gossage
11-24-2007, 2:09 PM
nice work. it looks sturdy as heck!