PDA

View Full Version : Block Plan Identification Needed

Jack Norfleet
11-23-2007, 1:31 PM
I bought one plane from Clint Jones and the next thing you know, I am speeding along on Black Friday o look at a box of old planes listed on Craigslist. This slippery slope is more like a sheer cliff.

One plane in particular has me stumped. I have attached pictures hoping someone can help me identify it.

It is a low angle adjustable mouth block plane. Blade is marked Stanley and it is marked Made in the USA on the body under blade.

There is no lateral adjustment. Depth of cut is adjusted by the knurled wheel at the back of the plane. The mouth is adjusted buy turning the two wings under the front knob.

Any help is appreciated.

Clint Jones
11-23-2007, 1:34 PM
The block plane is Sargent or Craftsman made by Sargent. It should have a sargent or craftsman blade in it which has the lateral adjustment connected to the back side of the blade.

It just gets worse from here enjoy the ride down the slope;)

-Clint

Jack Norfleet
11-23-2007, 2:26 PM
Thanks Clint.

You wouldn't by chance know where I can get the proper blade and lateral adjustment would you? I also need a lever cap for a Stanley #7 with the non-kidney shaped hole.

Jack

Mark Stutz
11-23-2007, 4:10 PM
I need one as well. It will work just fine with the Stanley blade, just have to adjust the blade with very light hammer taps, but it's always nice to have original equipment:D. I look for "parts" planes on the auction site, but since I'm cheap, usually get outbid. I have patience, though, so will get one sooner or later.

Randal Stevenson
11-24-2007, 10:43 AM
I thought some of these didn't have the lateral adjustment, when new?

As for blades, if the one that is with it, is junk, I would say get a Hock blade for it.