PDA

View Full Version : Entry Staicase pics

Chris Zenda
11-23-2007, 1:10 PM
Heres a couple pics of an entryway in my house we completed a couple years ago.

Jim Becker
11-23-2007, 2:40 PM
That's really nice work, Chris.

Paul Girouard
11-23-2007, 2:53 PM
Nice looking work.

You must know your building official or must work in a area that does not enforce codes, as that stair railing/ hand rail is not code complaint.

It is good looking work/ job, just not code -compliant.

Chris Zenda
11-23-2007, 3:12 PM
Nice looking work.

You must know your building official or must work in a area that does not enforce codes, as that stair railing/ hand rail is not code complaint.

It is good looking work/ job, just not code -compliant.

Are you referring to BOCA ??

Dixon Peer
11-23-2007, 3:27 PM

Probably he's referring to BOCA, but it wouldn't comply in most of the U.S. regardless, I don't believe. The handrail should be continuous. Where the stair makes the turn with the "twister", there's no handrail for a bit.

Chris Zenda
11-23-2007, 3:46 PM
That's really nice work, Chris.

Thank you Jim.

Richard Wolf
11-23-2007, 4:05 PM
Most areas use IRC codes, (International Residential Codes) and the continuous rails came into effect in 2003. Chris said that the rail was installed a few years ago. Most times, when people are remolding the staircase no building permit is issued, hence, as long as the house was built prior to the continuous rail clause, no one can dispute if the work was done before code or not. You are not required to always bring your house up to present codes.
Anyway, nice job on the stairs, working with winders is always a difficult situation.

Richard

Brian Weick
11-23-2007, 4:18 PM
Very nice work and I have to tell you- that is exactly the layout I want to do with my stair case. do you have any information you could share with me on how you did the framing for the stairs- any information would greatly be appreciated and will help me immensely when I do mine. My stairs currently go straight up and I can't stand them- your plan is exactly what I have in mind- Great job Chris! :)
Brian

Paul Girouard
11-23-2007, 4:25 PM

No IRC 2003/6 International Residential Code. You have no grip-able hand railing on either side that meets the IRC code.

I assume you are in the USA, at least I couldn't find any location on your profile so that's( USA ) was my assumption.

The code says the hand railing must be grip able and no larger then 1 1/2" in cross section, or some such wording , mine here (wording )may not be exact.

Your flat / wide hand railing does not meet code.

This link is pretty small to read but it's all I could snag off the web.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-WNG7k5SYa8C&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=international+residentail+code+stair+hand+rail+ requiremnets&source=web&ots=c37lZ0uoEN&sig=4JwLsug_ZYPjPDauEkj03mQsgkY#PPA36,M1

I don't aways agree with the code , in fact I seldom do , but I have to build to conform to it , generally , YMMV.

Don't take offence , I think theses sort of things need pointed out on forums as others will see your railing system and think they could build a like and kind only to be disappointed when told , "Your rail looks good , BUT you'll have to fix "X, Y & Z " for me( local building official) to sign your occupancy permit!"

The workmanship looks good , but like I said it's not code compliant to IRC 2003/6.

Paul Girouard
11-23-2007, 5:10 PM
I also noticed a pretty high tech door stop , looks a lot like a sponge :D Was that a special order? Renovator supply? Pottery Barn? :p

Richard Wolf
11-23-2007, 7:51 PM
Paul is right about the lack of profile on the rails. I did not pick up on it at first. It is something that you should address, because a handrail like that never met code. You could order a few lengths from your millworks suppler and change them in an afternoon.

Richard

Paul Girouard
11-23-2007, 9:20 PM
Paul is right about the lack of profile on the rails. I did not pick up on it at first. It is something that you should address, because a handrail like that never met code. You could order a few lengths from your millworks suppler and change them in an afternoon.

Richard

Adding a grip-able / code compliant railing on wall mounted brackets on the wall side would be a simple solution. Maybe later, someday if or when the place is sold IF it's called out on a house inspection report. Or before a elderly relative comes to visit.

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 1:20 AM
Brian, Send me a pic of your existing stairs and I'll try to help you the best I can. Thanks very much for the compliments.

Steven Bolton
11-24-2007, 9:07 AM
Please send a photo of the wainscoating, as that is interesting and very attractive.

Thanks

sb

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2007, 2:45 PM
Still.....Very nice work. I do not know the codes