PDA

View Full Version : jet j/p combo

Rafael Carias
11-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I found a review and video of the jet jjp 12 (see links below) there have been a few discussions about j/p combos but i haven't see much talk about the jet j/p. it seem like a capable machine and from the look of the video the change over is fast and simple. the best price i seen so far was about $1700 to $1800.

vid link:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/graphics/photos/tools/jetjfm5rvu/jetjfm5vid.wmv

review link:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetjjp12rvu.html

Rob Bodenschatz
11-23-2007, 12:53 PM
I've seen a few discussions both here and on woodnet about it. Try another search. I haven't seen one in person but it looks VERY interesting, especially the ease of change-over.

Paul Johnstone
11-23-2007, 2:30 PM
I saw a brief writeup on one in one of the WW magazines (only a couple paragraphs). They liked it. Switch over time was less than a minute (I want to say 30-40 seconds, but I don't remember exactly).

I kind of question the value of it though. It seems like the primary selling point is that it saves space. Well, with mobile bases, two dedicated machines don't take that much space.

The big disadvantage to me is the relatively short jointer beds.
Could you comfortably joint a 6' long piece of wood? That's a common size for me for bookcases, etc.

I realize that for some people, this is an ideal solution, but I remember a lot of people upgrading from 6" jointers to 8" jointers primarily to get a longer bed length (I did).

Jameel Abraham
11-23-2007, 2:52 PM
Nice link.

The article mentions jointer technique as the deciding factor over bed length for getting straight edges. My 6" jointer only has about 4' of bed length, and I can get plenty straight edges. Then again, I almost always tweak my edge joints with a handplane anyway.

This machine is real attractive, but a huge disadvantage for me is the position of the planer table crank. I'm not exactly short, and having to bend over for each and every adjustment would spell backache over a long planing session. Of course, that's an issue with every combo machine with manual adjust. Anybody else care to address this particular issue?

Rafael Carias
11-23-2007, 3:34 PM
the short beds are surely a disadvantage for some but with the proper technique you can get a good length of straight line.

personally, i am inclined to grab this j/p over the grizzly primarily because of the ease of change over and the low price, if i could afford it i'd take the hammer first.

Eddie Darby
11-23-2007, 10:50 PM
You might find this thread helpful.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68692&highlight=review+jjp-12

It would seem that bed length is not what it's all cracked-up to be.

Wilbur Pan
11-23-2007, 10:57 PM
The big disadvantage to me is the relatively short jointer beds.
Could you comfortably joint a 6' long piece of wood? That's a common size for me for bookcases, etc.

I realize that for some people, this is an ideal solution, but I remember a lot of people upgrading from 6" jointers to 8" jointers primarily to get a longer bed length (I did).

I have a Rikon 10" combo jointer/planer machine (unfortunately not being offered any more), with a 40" bed length, and I've been able to joint 6' boards. My back door neighbor has an Inca 10" jointer/planer machine, and he has built furniture pieces at least 6' high with it.

The main reason I got my machine was that I was able to get 10" jointer width for less than $700, and to save space. Bed length really wasn't an issue.

By the way, I'm sure that my changeover process between jointer and planer modes is more difficult than the Jet, but I haven't found that it inhibits my workflow at all.

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 8:04 PM
That looks like a very nice machine at an unbeatable price, I think grizzly's version is due out soon .