PDA

View Full Version : RANT--Shaving Tech

Dan Racette
11-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok, So I don't understand why they can't get a shaver to market with real blades in it. I have never been able to get an electric to shave my neck correctly, and now I see phillips is gimmick marketing their same technology with a new head. When is this archaic technology going to be updated? I can put the keenest of edges on a piece of beautiful steel and produce the thinnest of shavings of wood. I would never put the technology in those shavers to work on my pieces. My whiskers are tough like slivers of wood, so am I to go "neander" on my face as well? Well, I can't. Warfarin has keep me sidelined from shaving with a blade, or without weapons of mass styptification for some time now. Well holiday time and my birthday is approaching, and I'd like to know if someone knows if I need to contract a planemaker and a watchmaker to come up with a new gadget? Does anyone know of a good face device? No norelco's, phillips, remingintons, brauns, panasonics, or brands such as that have done the trick, and I don't suspect they will. Does Lie-Nielsen CNC a Face plane yet?

thoughts?

Mike Marcade
11-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Why can't you use a blade?

I have used the Mach III and Fusion blades for a long time. I have been shaving my head for 15+ years now and although very expensive they do a good job for me.

Jim Becker
11-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Why can't you use a blade?

He mentioned blood thinners in his post...

-------

Dan, I hear you. I could never use an electric with any kind of good result so I'd be in a spot if I had the same situation as you. I guess you could go "native"... :D

Dick Bringhurst
11-23-2007, 11:45 AM
I have what I think is the same problem (steel wool whiskers and blood thinner). However I've had acceptable success with the Braun shaver. Dick B.

Darren Ford
11-23-2007, 12:01 PM
I have been completely frustrated with shaving tech for years toom but I have always been afraid to try the old blade method. I need some volunteers to practice on.

Joe Pelonio
11-23-2007, 1:13 PM
Ok, so I do have a beard, but I still have to say that I too tried electric for the areas I do shave, with no luck. It amazes me how expensive blades have gotten, though. For work purposes I buy the single edge blades by the 100 for next to nothing, but the ones you'd let near your throat for shaving are like $12 for 3.

Mike Marcade
11-23-2007, 1:17 PM
He mentioned blood thinners in his post...

-------

Dan, I hear you. I could never use an electric with any kind of good result so I'd be in a spot if I had the same situation as you. I guess you could go "native"... :D

I didn't know what that "Warfarin" was. You learn something new everyday. :)

Al Willits
11-23-2007, 1:23 PM
Like Dick, I've had good luck with a Braun, but I don't take shaving to serious and it takes me two days to get a 5:00 shadow...:)

Al

Stephen Beckham
11-23-2007, 1:37 PM
I've had some success (or should I say the most successful attempts) with Braun. I still have to blade clean up after two or three days for those little fellers that didn't jump in to the blade. Especially in the neck area.

I'm due for a new one soon and I'm eyeballin that new Braun Pulsonic model. I got the self cleaning one now and like that neat little feature. Replace the heads and screen every two years and it seems to do quite well.

Steve

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-23-2007, 3:22 PM
TWICE they fooled me.
Never again

no electric shaver again - - -ever.

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2007, 3:48 PM
When I looked at the OT forum, this thread and the Roomba thread were adjacent...
it's going to take all day to get that image out of my head.

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2007, 3:55 PM
On a more serious note...

Regarding the blood-thinner issue, I seem to draw blood every time I go near a sharp hand tool, but for the life of me I can't remember the last time I cut myself with a Mach 3. I suppose it's possible but you really have to work at it.

(Yes, I have a beard, but I'd look like the caveman in the Geico ad if I didn't shave my neck and upper cheek areas, not to mention what little hair remains on the top of my head.)

David G Baker
11-23-2007, 4:49 PM
I use an old cheap Norelco electric razor that I keep the whiskers cleaned out of the blades frequently and finish with a Mach III with the Fusion blades. I take a blood thinner but very rarely get cut with the Mach III. I bleed twice daily when I do my blood glucose level and that is much more bleeding than I have ever gotten with the Mach III.
I have to shave daily so the whiskers don't get ahead of the shaving. Using the double shaving method gives me a very smooth face.

Dan Racette
11-23-2007, 5:18 PM
I am on Warfarin, (incidentally which was developed at the University of Wisconsin, go Bucky! and was named after the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation or W.A.R.F., hence Warfarin Sodium, brand named Coumadin and is the main ingredient in rat poison, too, wahoo!).

Whether or not on rat poison, my skin has only be able to take shaving a maximum of 2x per week of shaving. When I was in sports in High School that required me to shave more often, I developed a strange series of bumps all over the neck, so I just limit it to onces a week, and come to work gruff, and see if it flies. I still bleed when I shave with a brand new Mach 5 fusion that vibrates, or whatever the new one is with the extra single blade on the back, and that's after a skin care regime that would make most of the women from where I grew up, turn up their brow. While on the thinners, I have tried to go electric, because, well, the bleeding just doesn't stop and styptics, if you have ever experienced them, hurt.

Now I have hit my hands pretty hard with a mallet, cut myself with some awful slivers of exotic woods, sliced ups some skin with a newly sharpened chisel and plane, and planer blades, they all hurt. I guess, I like to keep the pain away from my face.

So...Still no magic solution out there. No magic craftsperson labouring away making a special rotary skin plane, huh?

Well, I guess it was worth a shot!

I figured after they put the women through that whole epilady fiasco, that necessity would create invention, and electrice shavers would actually come with a sharp blade instead of some thin piece of foil in them.

If anyone hears of anything...well...POST IT!

Jim Becker
11-23-2007, 6:03 PM
Dan, perhaps a depilatory might work for you...some folks who have extremely kinky and wiry body hair tend to get ingrown hairs if they shave because the sharp ends of the cut hair dig back under the skin. This alternative to shaving is a possible option that.

Rich Engelhardt
11-24-2007, 5:59 AM
Hello,
I can't use an electric so I use the old tried and true blades.

For the last 3 years, I've been using the "better" type -the ones that cost about $7.00 for the replacements.
Prior to that I used the whole array of BIC - type disposables.
The "cheapies" do seem to "bite" you more often. I don't recall having nicked myself since I started using the better ones (having said that, I'm probably going to lay my jaw open to the bone :rolleyes:)

Gawd I despise shaving!!! I'd grow a beard in a heartbeat if my boss didn't have a cow over it.
(I'm the only one in the comapny verbotten to grow a beard :D) I swear, the day I retire is going to be the last day I shave - ever!

Mitchell Andrus
11-24-2007, 9:09 AM
New Years' resolution.... We're all going on a shaving strike til SOMEBODY makes a shaver, razor, Quisinart that...

Hey, have you tried Nair?

David G Baker
11-24-2007, 9:32 AM
I have, on occasion, thought about letting my beard grow and having it transplanted to the areas of my head where the hair is getting a little sparse.

Randal Stevenson
11-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Using my old safety razors (WWII era, dual edge razor blades), I would tend to get the bumps on the neck. Noxzema, tended to help with that (as I would shave them off otherwise) but it does clog the razors more.
For the electrics, I used to use a Braun foil shaver for my neck, and a Norelco 3 blade electric for my face (if I hadn't shaven for a while). Once shaved, if I stayed on top of it (shave daily), they give me no problems. Miss a day, and plan on pulling out old steel.

As for the female ones, there was supposed to be some kinda razor that electrically shocked the wiskers, then shaved them. I know it ISN'T epilady, as my brother tried that on his face when he dropped and broke his razor (doesn't have a steel backup). He did one little area of his neck and was in tears. He said the razor was worse, then his po'd wife (for using it).:eek:

Chris Damm
11-24-2007, 3:55 PM
I haven't shaved since 1970. Problem solved!

Al Willits
11-24-2007, 4:10 PM
Maybe one of them laser engravers and a reeeeal steady hand???

sorry

al

Mitchell Andrus
11-24-2007, 5:00 PM
My dad has had a full beard since 1963. He was turned away from more than a few restaurants back then, even with a wife and kid (me).

Per Swenson
11-24-2007, 8:34 PM
Yep,

!2 bucks for 4 blades.

So what I do is bang them thar whiskers in with my

16 oz finish hammer, bite em off and spit em out.

Makes me look and feel rugged.:eek:

Per

Gary Herrmann
11-24-2007, 8:47 PM
Hey Dan, maybe a laser treatment? My neighbor had it done on his back at his wife's urging. It may be pricey, but supposedly a permanent solution.

Dan Racette
11-26-2007, 9:34 AM
Now the suggestions are to Nair, Laser's and the other end of no shaving and the two buck chuck of disposable razors.

All are good suggestions, and I thank you.

My rant is still that there isn't a good electric out there! You folks are right there to help a guy out though!

The WWII era safety razors are getting hard to find, as I guess that they aren't as profitable as the Mach's and the turbo's etc. I have tried the dipilatory, at least the only one that I found that is allowed for faces, and it was pretty dismal.

Thanks, everyone for the helpful suggestions. Keep them coming if you have them!

Steven Wilson
11-26-2007, 9:58 AM
Dan, your problem might be with the shaving cream you're using. I couldn't shave more than twice a week for years until I discovered shaving soap and the brush to apply it with. I use hot water to dip the brush in, work up a good lather and work the soap into my face and then shave with a 2 blade or 3 blade razor, doesn't matter. The results are fantastic and I can shave every day.

About those electrics - useless.

David G Baker
11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
People still use shaving soap? I use the gel stuff in a can, it is like adding silicone or Teflon lube to my face. There may have been some improvements since I last tried shaving soap in a mug with a brush, but the last time I did was when I was in the Army between 1963 and 1966. I hated it then. I always had razor burns along with nicks and cuts.

John Schreiber
11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Has anybody actually tried a depilatory like Nair on their face. Shaving is such a waste of time, but I look stupid with my scraggly beard.

Dan Racette
11-27-2007, 1:22 PM
I have both a Badger hair and a Boar's hair brush and soap and have tried soap. Soap was good, but I end up with the same results, with only a "slight" improvement, and it was very dependant on the hardness of my water to get good lather.

Nair says right on the can, you can't use it on the face! Not good to get it near the eyes or nose.

d

jeremy levine
11-27-2007, 3:10 PM
Dan, your problem might be with the shaving cream you're using. I couldn't shave more than twice a week for years until I discovered shaving soap and the brush to apply it with. I use hot water to dip the brush in, work up a good lather and work the soap into my face and then shave with a 2 blade or 3 blade razor, doesn't matter. The results are fantastic and I can shave every day.

About those electrics - useless.

I had similar problems. But I take it one step farther, I brush shave ( mach 3 or other ) in the shower. I have to agree that the soap really helps. I still can find brushes and soap at my local CVS.

Jim Becker
11-27-2007, 4:43 PM
Nair says right on the can, you can't use it on the face! Not good to get it near the eyes or nose.

Check with firms that deal with personal care items for people of African American descent. Because in-grown hairs can be a major problem, they may have a chemical option that is safe for face and neck usage.

Rich Stewart
11-27-2007, 11:38 PM
I have been seeing a commercial on TV about a new electric. The head consists of three heads that move in six different directions. Looked pretty impressive in the pictures. Don't recall the name.

Jim Becker
11-28-2007, 5:33 PM
I have been seeing a commercial on TV about a new electric. The head consists of three heads that move in six different directions. Looked pretty impressive in the pictures. Don't recall the name.

They have billboards of that things plastered all over the London train stations "as we speak"...looks like a bouquet of flowers!

Dennis Peacock
11-28-2007, 6:04 PM
A guy I was stationed with absolutely HATED to shave and used his wife's NAIR to get the wiskers off his face.

One bit of advice............do NOT use Nair on your face. My buddy's face swelled up like a ballon and his skin tissue was blister red for weeks!!!!!

And he still had to shave. :rolleyes: :D