PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Tucson AZ

Tom Hamilton
11-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Happy Post Thanksgiving Greetings:

We're off to Tucson for a little R&R with three other couples next week and thought perhaps someone would have some tips on special things to do and see in the area.

We're staying at the Tanque Verde dude ranch so we'll have plenty of on- site activities but will probably try to take in the Desert Museum and the old western town.

Any great lunch spots?

Any other "don't miss this" spots?

Any woodworking galleries or turning blank sources? We all have Rockler and Woodcraft in our respective cities so that is probably not high on the list.

Anyway, if you have a special spot please chime in.

Thanks, Tom, in Houston, wondering what to pack for saddle sores.

Stephen Beckham
11-23-2007, 1:26 PM
Tom...

How crazy are you...? Okay let me elaborate - they have some of the best skydiving out there... I went out at 13,000ft in a tandem jump. Never felt a feeling like it since.

Other things to do out there that my son really enjoyed was the Titan Missle silo. Neat little tour.

You a hiker? There are some really nice hiking canyons in and around. I think it's too late for the humming birds.

Military buff? There are some great Buffalo Soldier sites to see - Geronimo's hide outs - ghost towns - Ft. Huachuca (active post) and some other old ghost forts (hiking involved again).

One last one that I enjoyed when I was out there was Tomstone - the town to tough to die. Have beer at Big Nose Kate's - see where the Earps shot and killed / were killed in some cases.

Okay - really the last one - you have any yuppie in you? What about (you don't have to answer here) hippie in you? There's another town out there called Bisbee where all the left over hippies/yuppies went to stay. You can get all kinds of hemp products and tie die stuff. Some old music to dance freely to. Some pretty cool antiques etc... And they have some mine tours that are kind of neat.

That's my memories of being out there several trips while in the military...

Paul Brinkmeyer
11-23-2007, 6:02 PM
Gotta tell what you would like to see.

Might be able to help guide you in the right direction.
There are some caves, Kartchner Caverns that are nice, best caves I ever saw.
2nd largest collection of air planes at the Pima air and space museum. They are connected with the Titan silo tours. All real close by. And all the other spots allready mentioned are good. Lots and Lots of Cacti.

And just watching the Sky diving is great, did that yesterday.
Locatioin is Eloy az. skydiveaz.com is the website.

Tom Hamilton
11-23-2007, 9:29 PM
Thanks Paul and Steven for the tips. Skydiving is probably a little too extreme for our group.

The Caverns and the missle silo tour have gotten good reviews and I'll suggest them to the group.

Other Creekers, any woodworking related sites to visit?

Thanks, Tom

Tyler Davis
11-26-2007, 4:39 PM
Woodworker's source on S Palo Verde Rd has some great hardwoods, and they are Jet and Powermatic dealers

There's a Woodworker's Supply on Oracle but I've never been up there.

The Missile Silo , Pima Air and Desert Museum are musts, as mentioned, if you are with a couch potato group, drive up to Mt. Lemmon for some amazing views. They may get snow up there this week (6000 feet or so) "A" Mountain is 5 minutes from downtown and you an see across the whole valley. Otherwise, send me a message for hiking routes if that is your group's speed.

Go to the original El Charro downtown for a great Mexican meal

Enjoy! :D

John Downey
11-27-2007, 2:24 AM
Woodworker's Source used to be Woodworker's Supply (or something similar), they changed the name years ago due to confusion with the mail-order supplier/retailer of the same name. The store on Oracle road is a Woodcraft. Woodworker's Source has a great selection of exotics and turning material, including mesquite and a little desert ironwood.

The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum is always worth the trip - its like a desert zoo - its on the west side of the mountains west of town, so you also get a nice senic trip over gate's pass.

There's also Kitt Peak National Observatory for any astronomy buffs. They have a visitor center with guided tours and a night observing program for those that are really interested (beware, its cold up there and runs fairly late into the night).

Most authentic Mexican restaraunt in town is La Indita on Fourth Avenue, north of Sixth Street. The chicken mole is especially good.

If you're into old tools and machines, check out Kent's Tools on Grant Rd, just east of Stone. It's a bit like your grandfather's barn, only a lot smaller.

Tom Hamilton
11-27-2007, 8:45 AM
Thanks, fellows, the ideas just keep coming.

We are in Tucson enjoying the beautiful views and mid 70's temps.

The rest of the group arrives today and we gather up at the Tanque Verde Ranch for the rest of the week. The Desert Museum is on the list and I think we can get to Kent's and Woodworker's Source when the SWMBO's hit the local Chico's store.

Best regards, Tom, in Tucson, waiting to meet his horse!