PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's" Black Friday Edition

Karl Laustrup
11-23-2007, 6:48 AM
Friday November 23, 2007

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!!

I trust everyone had a fantastic "TURKEY DAY", whatever that might have been for you.

We ate early [about 1:30] so there would be more time for pie [apple, cherry & pumpkin] and possibly some snacking later. The snacking didn't happen, at least with me. I don't think anyone did any snacking either.

Of course the cooking and eating centered around the Packer/Lions game. So glad I put that 22" LCD on the wall in the kitchen. Another "W" leading up to next Thursday's meeting with the Cowboys. :)

This being "Black Friday", the stores are a zoo. Several of the stores opened at 4 AM. :eek: I was just watching the early local news and the mall parking lots are full. At 5:30 AM. :eek:

I am going to use today to clean up the shop somewhat so I have room for a new toyl which will be arriving tomorrow. I have enlisted Spring's help in transporting said toyl, which we'll be picking up in Madison tomorrow. That will take care of my weekend.

So what's happening in your part of the world? This is a long weekend for most, so I hope you all get a chance to be with family and enjoy whatever you wish.

As always "BE SAFE".

Karl

Heather Thompson
11-23-2007, 7:27 AM
Well we were in Madison yesterday eating Turkey and such with my husbands family and friends, and yes they are Packers fans. We left early and got home around 7:30 so that I could finish the rear breaks on LOML's Subaru. The garage is going to be tight for the next week as I am picking up a new (used) Powermatic 66 this morning from a fellow Creeker. Gloat to follow. :D

Heather

Jim O'Dell
11-23-2007, 7:59 AM
Hi all! I'm at work this morning. By myself for the first time, and on the Cadillac drive for the first time!! Filling in for the advisor that works here. I'm hoping for a slow day.
Radio said that many of the mall parking lots over in Big D were full already this am. You'd never find me up that early shopping, unless cabinet saws were half off for a certain hour. :D
Karl, we'll join you on the TV for that big game next week. Should be a good one!! Jim.

Rich Engelhardt
11-23-2007, 8:20 AM
Hello,
Well, it's 8:00am. Friday.
We hit Kohls at 4:15am to pick up a Harry Potter thingie of some sort for the niece.
Lines were terrible at the checkout. We had to wait in line to checkout for over an hour.

Out to the car and a short drive (5 min) to Home Depot @ ~ 5:25am.
there was one car and one van in the lot. We sat in the car until 5:45am and other vehicles started pulling in. We got out and walked up to the front door - first in line. The other people started making their way to the door at that point. We spent the next 15 min pleasantly talking with the other people in line about this and that/what we were getting/stuff we work on - like I said, very pleasant - not at all like the *other* places.

In at 6:00am - as soon as the doors opened - everyone calmly made their way to where their intended purchases were at. Not too much different than a typical busy Saturday morning.
Got our $29.00 12 gal shop vac and two Dewalt cordless drills ($97ea) and a $10 DeWalt drill/driver assortment.
I ran into an old friend I hadn't seen in 20 years! (he'd started out back in 19986 working for me @ Builders Square - I was his manager)
I shook his hand and made some comment from "The goold old days", and it sunk in who I was.
I asked him half joking if he was the manager of the store or if HD had "gotten smart" and put him in charge of the whole company :D.
Turns out he's now the regional manager w/130 stores under him!
Great guy! Really good to hear that he's doing so well.

The "brood" is starting to stir, so I have to get my share of yesterday's leftovers in quick :D.

Then it's off to one of our rentals for a day of fun and games - painting the exterior of the garage - in the snow & low 30* temps. :(.
Oh well, has to be done. The job only has to last a few months anyhow until we can side the garage next spring.

No rest for the wicked ;)

Nancy Laird
11-23-2007, 9:18 AM
No rest for the wicked ;)

I echo that sentiment, Rich. After spending all day at "diabetes education" class on Wednesday, I was able to restrain my turkey eating yesterday and keep within my carbs budget. Whew!

No "Black Friday" shopping for me. I'm sitting here looking at 14 laser orders to be filled this weekend, plus another four personal things that also need to get done. It's 7:15 here in the great Southwest and one of the lasers is already doing its thing. LOML is having to work to day to preserve his holiday pay for yesterday, but he may be able to get off around noon.

We had snow(!) here last night--about 1" here on the ground this morning, with a little ice under it. Fortunately, the roads were still warm enough that there are few, if any, icy spots, but we dropped from 70 on Tuesday to 40 on Wednesday to a crisp 30 this morning.

Weekend? Listing to the lasers do their thing, package up orders to deliver and/or mail. It's a good thing that the cleaning crew arrived in a couple of hours - my house is a wreck!

Have a good weekend, all.

Nancy (28 days)

Matt Meiser
11-23-2007, 9:35 AM
LOML Jr spent Wednesday night a my parent's and since both of our families have Thanksgiving dinners at our moms' houses we didn't have to rush around yesterday morning so I got a few hours in on the easel project. Today everyone is coming over here for brunch, then my brother and I are doing ???? Tomorrow we are all helping my youngest brother move to an apartment in the next county over where he got his first real job--he graduates in a couple weeks but has already started part time since they had an immediate need. Sunday, not sure. Need to work on wrapping up the easel since I have extensive work travel in the next 2 weeks, so hopefully a few hours in the shop.

Steve Clardy
11-23-2007, 9:56 AM
All 4 of our sons were here.
We ate, suffered afterwards all afternoon :rolleyes:

Played cards, visited.:D

Today. Back to work in the shop.
May do some Amazon shopping, but will not travel out to the zoo's and shop.

Mark Patoka
11-23-2007, 10:08 AM
We're avoiding the Black Friday crowds also. Since both the boys are home for Thanksgiving break we're heading out to cut our Christmas tree today. One of the family traditions.

Jim Becker
11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I do most of my shopping online, so no "Black Friday" crowds for me!

I actually was supposed to be on a train to DC with Professor Dr. SWMBO and the girlie-girls early this morning to visit her youngest sister and brood, but I was up most of the night, seemingly coughing up a lung or three. Damn head cold! But I didn't go due to lack of sleep as well as a major sore throat and coughing.

So...I guess I'll have to spend part of the day in the shop. Another one of life's sacrifices... :) I veneered two door panels yesterday for the cherry linen cabinet and will do the other two today as well as finish up the rails and stiles for the same. I may do something totally uncharacteristic of me and watch some TV...there probably is something interesting on one of the HD channels...

Saturday, I have the YMCA run for karate and swimming, but hopefully will get more shop time over the weekend. I have more business travel coming soon and that will whack at least two weekends...so any time I can get now to work on the projects for the addition, so much the better.

Al Willits
11-23-2007, 1:16 PM
Spent Thursday with my leg up in the air and watched "how's its made" on cable for most the day, that and dirty jobs.
Today I'm at my desk with my leg up in the air hoping the antibiotics finally kill enough of the infection in my leg to finally get out to the shop.

No shopping for me, I don't do well in crowded stores with frenzied shoppers...:)

Did get the boat winterized and all the summer yard stuff put away, snowblower needs to be readied and hoping to get that done this weekend...

We have snow on the ground...grrrrrr:(

Karl hoping your injury is healing nicely?

Al

Scott Hubl
11-23-2007, 1:47 PM
My local Rockler, is what their calling a "ProStore" supposedly the only one.

What that means is most items are "Pro Priced" everyday and they don't have "sales" Most items are between 5% - 20% off the regular price of Rocklers. % taken off at the register if your a Pro member.

My Rocklers 3 Days only Thanksgiving Weekend sales flyer(black friday) Did not seem as good as past years sales this year.

Maybe because I now have most of what they had on it this year? http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raised.gif

I did buy the Rockler Portable Router Table for $189.99 with a FREE Porter Cable 690 Router.

I needed a small put up on a shelf away router table, just no room right now for a stand alone unit.

I then turned my attention to the "25% off Any One Regular Priced Item In The Store Coupon." http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Of course it has the usual stipulations "Exludes sale items, power tools, PC dovetail jigs, Festool products Leigh jigs, and Rockler Gift cards, yadda yadda yadda and so forth."

So I'm thinking I'll ask IF I could use it on the Fien Multimaster tool, Nope!. OK so, I'm thinking another WWII blade? I could, but they don't have the newer one with the raker tooth yet. HMMMM

So, I grab the Incra Miter Express Miter Sled (to go with my recent purchase of the Incra 1000se) priced at $149.99 MINUS the everyday "pro pricing" of 20% Off of that, so I'm thinking in my mind 20% off, PLUS the added 25% Off Coupon, should bring it down to about 90 bucks no? NOPE! I decided to ask about that and was informed the 25% was off the REGULAR price ONLY, so that would really only be 5% off the regular everyday "pro price" I decided to hold off on that then, wasnt worth using a 25% coupon to really only get 5% off in my eyes.

So, since I bought the router table with the free PC router, I turned my attention to Router Lifts.

I ask the manager what Lift will fit the small router table I just bought, he says the-
Rockler/JessEm Router Lift FX, will drop right in and fit the PC router that came with it. It's $189.99 and not real heavy duty looking to me. I said I will use the PC690 freehand and will want a larger router later for perm. mounted router table operations.

I see the Jointech SmartLift Digital Lift sitting there on the shelf with the other lifts. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif Only 1 on the shelf and have read about it online. Rockler had it priced at $299.99 in the store but NO pro pricing markdown on it. I'm reading the box thinking to myself OK self this is Not a "power tool" now is it? NOPE.

The manager see's me looking at it and starts to inform me that the lift wont just drop in nor fit the PC 690, I could tell he was nervous,lol and KNEW I was planning on using my 25%off coupon. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif

Rocklers own online price is $329.99 but in the store they had it clearly marked at $299.99 and with my 25% off coupon it took $75.00 off the price so I nabbed it for $224.00! http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif So I basically got $105.00 OFF of the Digital SmartLift. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif

I then grabbed a premade "template" for the size plate the SmartLift has and will either make a new tabletop OR just route the opening bigger in the portable table I bought.

I did pick up a couple other small items they had on the flyer too. So I had myserlf a GOOD black Friday after all. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif

Now what all did YOU end up buying today? http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif

Rusty Elam
11-23-2007, 5:44 PM
Went over to Home Depot at 7 and picked up the $29 shop vac and extra filter then drove 300 feet to the Rockler store and picked up their $79 roller stand for $39. I also had the email coupon for 25% so I looked aroung and got a set of Jet Cabinet clamps and when I got to the register they rung up $149 instead of $159. They know me so they said they would go ahead and allow it so I got my clamps for $112. Two blocks home and Black friday was over by 7.30......my kind of shopping

Lee Koepke
11-23-2007, 6:09 PM
Went over to Home Depot at 7 and picked up the $29 shop vac and extra filter then drove 300 feet to the Rockler store and picked up their $79 roller stand for $39. I also had the email coupon for 25% so I looked aroung and got a set of Jet Cabinet clamps and when I got to the register they rung up $149 instead of $159. They know me so they said they would go ahead and allow it so I got my clamps for $112. Two blocks home and Black friday was over by 7.30......my kind of shopping
HA, I had a friend that went to HD to get me the shop vac so I didnt have to go:D

( and rockler is way too far for me :( )