PDA

View Full Version : Pecan Bowl

Mike Vickery
11-23-2007, 1:06 AM
This is the first out of a batch of Pecan I got a while ago.

8.5 x 3 finished with Watco Danish oil and buffed.

I went with a taller foot then I usually do with this one, also did a little stone fill for a bark inclusion.

Commetns and critiques are appreciated.

Kevin McPeek
11-23-2007, 1:20 AM
Well I'm not sure about the foot, I'll have to look at it for awhile, it just seems a little too tall. But the rest is top notch. I kind of thought the Pecan would be a little darker.

Tim A. Mitchell
11-23-2007, 1:24 AM
My eye seems to be drawn down to the foot. Might just be because I am tired, though.

Robert McGowen
11-23-2007, 5:18 AM
Hi Mike,

The bowl itself and the proportions seem just right, but I actually thought that you had left the tenon on and just had not finished the bowl yet. :) I would amputate the foot!

robert hainstock
11-23-2007, 6:11 AM
great looking bowl, though I agree iwth the others about the foot. I have a pecan cofee table that is stained a warm brown, and I like that look. All in the eye of the beholder. TURN ON! ;)

robert hainstock
11-23-2007, 6:12 AM
great looking bowl, though I agree iwth the others about the foot. I have a pecan cofee table that is stained a warm brown, and I like that look. All in the eye of the beholder. TURN ON! ;)

John Hart
11-23-2007, 6:36 AM
It's a very handsome bowl Mike. The foot, with the slight curve to it, gives it an oriental flavor that people might look for....so I'm not sure if amputation is really the only prognosis doctor. :D

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2007, 8:08 AM
I agree with John - this bowl has a great oriental style and I would leave it as is! I really like this one and think you did a nice job!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-23-2007, 8:09 AM
Personally Mike, I think the foot is fitting. I like the flow and somewhat like John, get an oriental feel from the form with the foot. I vote keep it. Nice job by the way!:)

David Peno
11-23-2007, 9:13 AM
Looks nice to me, The foot looks a hair big from this angle, but on a table from a normal perspective I think it will look perfect.

Dave

Pete Jordan
11-23-2007, 9:19 AM
Mike,
I like the foot. It makes it more of an art piece. I have been lopping off all of the feet on my bowls and now I am leaving them on.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2007, 9:36 AM
I like it Mike. I like the flow of it and agree with John about the oriental look. Well done.

Jim Becker
11-23-2007, 10:33 AM
This is nice...very nice.

I've done a few of similar form with a similar foot...and agree that it gives a more oriental feel. It's obviously not something for a "user" bowl due to balance, but for a display piece...wonderful!

Curt Fuller
11-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I really like this bowl. The form is perfect with the foot.

Ed Scolforo
11-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Mike, I'm back and forth on the foot, altho the longer I look at it the better I like it.

Clem Wixted
11-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Mike,

I don't have much of an eye for design.

Having said that I wonder how it would look if the foot had a curve to it rather than having straight lines?

Clem

Paul Engle
11-23-2007, 3:25 PM
I like it , foot and all, the Asian flavor to me is very asthetic ( ?) I kinda favor oriental any way, they do not seem to be confined by western infulence in their artistry, some how me thinks Shep had a special " lilt " when he left the Ark and headed east......( least I think it was Shep) Anyway keep it up, the bowl looks great .:D

Mike Vickery
11-23-2007, 9:16 PM
Thanks everyone.
It seems split about 50 50 on the foot. I go back and forth on it myself. It depends on the angle I look at the piece at if I like it or not.

It is a very small diameter foot and quite tall. It was what I was going for on this but I think the foots diameter might be a tad to small and make the piece look unbalanced

I will say their will be no amputation of the foot. I just cant decide how much I like it.

Neal Addy
11-23-2007, 9:40 PM
Beautiful. Perfect contour on the bowl.

The foot fits the form perfectly. This is a wonderful example of the Asian "rice bowl" form, characterized by a long foot and elegant simplicity. Very nicely executed, Mike.

Gary DeWitt
11-24-2007, 12:37 AM
I like the bowl as is for an art piece, or it could be a "user" with only a slight difference, a bit bigger diameter on the foot. Here's a pic of a Japanese soup bowl intended to be used.

Richard Madison
11-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Mike,
What would you think about a dovetail foot, rather than straight? Larger diameter at the base, smaller where it meets the bowl.

Always easy to make it smaller, usually more difficult to make it bigger.

P.S. It is indeed a fine looking piece. Just got caught up in the whole "foot" discussion and neglected to mention that.

Allen Schmid
11-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Mike,
The bowl is classic, great look! The foot, well as it's been said, in the eye of the beholder. But overall you did a great job.
Nice work,
Allen

Alex Elias
11-24-2007, 3:44 PM
Great looking bowl. The curve looks awesome and the whole design is nice and thin. I like the foot on the bowl altough I'd try a bit shorter. Never the less it looks great.
Alex

Tom Sherman
11-25-2007, 9:34 PM
Mike I like your bowl with the foot as is Variety is the spice of life, not all of us like the same thing.