PDA

View Full Version : Straightening bent auger bit shafts

Gary Herrmann
11-22-2007, 8:21 PM
Was sharpening some auger bits as my family sleeps off turkey overdose. Several have bent shafts. I suppose I could clamp the shaft in a vise to straighten them.

Anyone had any success with this or other methods?

Edit: Just checked my machinist vise - jaws are too wide to clamp the shaft. Other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark Stutz
11-22-2007, 9:19 PM
I've never tried, but as plentiful as the old ones are, I'd just get another. OTOH, what have you got to lose if it breaks?:D

John Goodridge
11-22-2007, 11:06 PM
I would probably support the bit on two pieces of wood with the bent portion in the center with the bend facing up and tap it with a hammer. I would go with many small taps rather that a few large taps.

I would also set my expectation of success fairly low. The metal work hardens when it bends and does not want to unbend.

I also have some bent bits, so I may give it a shot as well.

Good Luck

harry strasil
11-23-2007, 1:00 AM
No need to worry about breaking them, they are soft as butter, if they old or new as well, they not made to drill metal. Real simple to straighten them, just make a V block outa wood, put some bees wax or candle wax in the V. screw it down to a scrap of 1 by or plywood and hold the shank down with your finger. take a small square of wood and put so the cutting end will touch it and then holding down the shank in the V block, turn the bit with the square tapered shank, this will move the square indexing block and show how much its bent. rotate the bit so the high bent side touches the indexing block and then clamp the auger part long ways in a vice and use a monkey wrench or a small pipe wrench to bend the shank. repeat the V block and index block set up till the auger bit shows no runout, careful as it doesn't take much tweeking to get them straight.

Mark Stutz
11-23-2007, 9:27 AM
Thanks, Harry. Now I'm glad I didn't follow the advice I gave Gary:eek:and throw them out!:D