PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Stanley 720, 750 and Everlasting?

Gary Herrmann
11-22-2007, 4:03 PM
I'm starting to look at old chisels and have noticed some reasonable deals on individual Stanleys. What are the differences between the 720, 750 and Everlasting series? Can't afford LNs at the moment, so am looking for a decent deal on socket bench chisels. Tuning them up won't be a problem. I have Marples, but the the steel isn't all that great. Thanks.

Brian Hale
11-22-2007, 5:28 PM
Hey Gary

I can't speak for the 720, 750 and Everlasting chisels but i've been real Happy with the Defiance line of socket chisels i've been acquiring and they typically go for much less.

YMMV

Brian :)

Alan Turner
11-22-2007, 8:19 PM
Gary,
The 750 is a bench chisel, about 9" long, while the 720 is a longer paring chisel. The quality of the steel varies from one to the other, with some excellent, and some quite average.

The LN's are patterned generally from the 750's, but the blade in the LN is thicker. I know an Everlasting when I see it, but have no experience with them.

Roger Bell
11-22-2007, 8:57 PM
The 720's are longer....6" long blades plus handle. The 750 butt chisels are shorter....3 1/4" blades plus handle. Naturally, the lengths of used chisels will vary quite a lot. For example, you may find a 720 in "butt" length. Handles in both cases are shaped like the LN's except made of mahogany stained hickory with a leather butt cap. The stock handles are a bit short for my taste, but the shape is nice. The handles vary in width according to the size of the chisel....something else I dont care for. Someone mentiioned Defiance, etc. The 720's, 740's and 750's featured a better polish than the others as well as better machining. I really don't know that the basic steel varied all that much, since I have encountered reasonably good steel in the off-Models.

The Everlastings come in a variety of models and lengths from the 3 /14" butt to 5 1/2" in another series. The head, shank and blade are forged complete with no mechanical joints. Some handles are wood others composite. The handles "wrap around" the metal core. All have a steel striking cap. These are tough chisels made for hammers.

Quality, as has been stated, varies with some ok and others much better than average to quite good. Frankly, some are not much better than your Marples, to speak the truth, but most are.

I have nearly full sets of each, put together one by one over the years. I prefer the Everlastings for butt chisel work or for carpentry. These are heavy in the hand and have a solid feel to them, much like the Perfect Handle screwdrivers, if you know what those are.

I prefer other vintage brands to the Stanleys in terms of edge holding characteristics. The Stanleys are ok, but, due to the internet Boards and ebay fueling each other, are overrated and definitely overhyped. I might give them a B rating among vintages chisels generally but not an A. They are pretty easy to sharpen. If the price is right, Stanleys are fine. I would never pay a premium for them. It just isn't necessary to get a good vintage chisel.

If you really want a decent set of chisels at a good price, I wouldn't get stuck on a single brand, to say less of a single model. Not right away, anyway. You won't find "sets", not priced right, anyway. Buy any good vintage chisel on an individual basis (insisting only to say, bevel edge firmers), and, if you want the "set" look, have a turner friend make handles for them out of a nice wood of your choice and make a rack of some sort for them. As you continue to see deals on individual chisels, you can upgrade as you find them and sell the rejects for what you paid for them, maybe more.

Gary Herrmann
11-22-2007, 9:05 PM
Thanks Roger - good point on the handles. Some of the best prices I've seen are for "handleless" chisels. Since I turn, that isn't a problem, once I get past the first one.

Other good brands are what - Witherby, Swan...? I've heard of them, but no nothing about them. I'm looking for individuals, so hopefully the cost won't be too bad.

Mark Stutz
11-22-2007, 9:23 PM
Good to see you're back in the shop! Handleless ones are definitely cheaper. I've got a couple I'm working on. Other names in socket chisels...Greenlee, Buck,Pexto,and the ones you mentioned are good. Bob Smalser had an article in FWW a few months ago...all you ever wanted to knowand then some.

Gary Herrmann
11-22-2007, 9:58 PM
Thanks Mark. Still fairly limited, but I can turn pens, so I figure I can turn tool handles once I pick up a few chisels.

Supposedly, I can start pushing it once I see the doc in Dec.