PDA

View Full Version : Special Gift in Remembrance

Waymon Campbell
02-14-2004, 3:28 PM
With all the Freedom Pens Project going ons, work, etc... I completely forgot to post a pix of the first ever project out of my new shop. Some of you may remember my previous post about my neighbor's 19yr. old daughter Jessica being tragically killed in an auto accident two days after this last Christmas. I mulled around the idea of making a gift for the family and with a little prompting from the studio audience (aka SMC'ers), I have completed and delivered this music box. Box is cherry with 3 coats of Watco Natural followed by 2 coats of poly. Dovetails were cut using a Rockler thru dovetail jig. The picture is laser engraved on the lid and the movement is Amazing Grace. Along with the box I included the following note:

Steve and Tammy,

Please accept this music box as a gift in remembrance of Jessica. It was made with my own hands out of cherry. Just like Jessica, the wood is warm and beautiful, with a character all it's own. I have placed a photo of Jessica in the box. Please add many more. And each time you find yourself missing her, open the box and take out a photo and reminisce while you listen to Amazing Grace. Jessica was a blessing to all who knew her. She is not gone from our memory, only from our sight. And there will be a day when we see her again...

God Bless,
Waymon & Fran Campbell

I'd like to thank all those SMC'ers for the encouragement and the offers of help. And I have a message for all of you on this Valentines Day. "Make every day count with your loved ones, because you never know when they might be taken from you."

Waymon...

Rob Littleton
02-14-2004, 4:19 PM
Wow.......touching....

Very cool thing to give.

Beautiful work to remember a beautiful girl

Jim Becker
02-14-2004, 4:21 PM
That's even more beautiful than how I imagined it, Waymon. A fine and appropriate gift, too, especially with the wonderful note and engraving. Very inspiring and thought provoking. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-14-2004, 6:38 PM
I had a tear in my eye reading the note you put in there...I can't imagaine how I would've handled it had you given to me for my daughter.

You've done a very special thing.

KC

Don Abele
02-14-2004, 6:53 PM
Waymon, I read this earlier and just was bowled over by it. Amazing, the thought and caring that went into the whole project (box and the note). Not only does it show your quality workmanship in woodworking, but your compassion and caring as a true friend. Thank you for sharing this inspirational piece.

Be well,

Doc

Greg Heppeard
02-14-2004, 7:05 PM
Awsome, both the box and you.

John Miliunas
02-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Nobody's going to believe this: I'm at a loss for words. Your act of kindness, friendship and the wonderful keepsake are all beautiful. Thanks for the post, Waymon.

Randy Moore
02-15-2004, 7:40 AM
Very pretty box and a very touching note. the whole thing brought tears to my eyes.

Mighty FINE JOB on both

Randy

Keith Starosta
02-15-2004, 8:14 AM
Wamon,
I can only echo what they others have said. Incredibly beautiful thought. You're a good man.

Keith

Mark Valsi
02-15-2004, 10:38 AM
WOW,

I am speechless !

Touching, to say the least

Joe Bourbois
02-15-2004, 2:29 PM
Waymon, that's wonderful. Well done.

Dennis Peacock
02-15-2004, 7:22 PM
Absolutely...PERFECT..!!!!!

Makes me hope and pray for the safety of all 4 of my kids. Thanks for posting.

Jeff Skory
02-15-2004, 7:30 PM
I usually come here looking for advice or laughs. You got me all choked up. Very, very special!

Kent Cori
02-15-2004, 8:52 PM
Waymon,

You can be justifiably proud of both the sentiment and the music box. I'm sure Jessica's parents will never forget you and your kindness. Great way to christen a workshop.

Bob Lasley
02-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Waymon,

You are a prince, sir. My wife and I read your post together and then we both had misty eyes. I can not think of a better gift to give in such a situation. I'm sure it will be treasured.

Bob

Ray Dockrey
02-16-2004, 2:35 PM
Absolutely awesome. God bless.

Ed Marks
02-16-2004, 2:52 PM
Waymon,

Having recently lived through (still living through) a family tragedy I can say that I'm sure her parents appreciate the thoughtfullness of such a gift. Great idea, great work, and thanks for demonstrating that there are still a lot of great people in this world.

Ed

PS: I may PM you to ask a engraving question.

Michael Ballent
02-16-2004, 3:04 PM
It's nice to see there are people out there with a beautiful spirit. Very touching story. Thanks for sharing. It is a reminder that we should hold and cherish every moment we have on the Earth... Thanks for sharing!!!

-Michael

Mike Scoggins
02-16-2004, 3:25 PM
Waymon,

A very thoughtful and appropriate gift and note. It does my heart good to see such thoughtful actions from one human being to another. May God bless you richly, and may God continue to provide strength to your neighbors, Steve and Tammy. I think God may just do that partly through the lovely box you gifted them with.

Mike

Waymon Campbell
02-16-2004, 8:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I have since learned that the music box will be displayed amongst other items that Jessica loved in a special place in their house. It warms my heart knowing that my gift will provide some small measure of comfort to her family. It is truly better to give than to receive.

Waymon...

Mark Singer
02-16-2004, 9:11 PM
Waymon,
Great work ...very thoughtful!! I know how hard it is to make gifts like this....I made a small cofin a few years ago for my nephews daughter that was still born...it was one of the most difficult experiences of my life...Wonderful gift!