PDA

View Full Version : Bessey Clamps(best deal?)

Carroll Courtney
11-22-2007, 3:49 PM
Looking to buy a couple of 50's and 4 more of the 40's.Seems like last year around this time Amazon had a heck of a sale that I miss out on.Does anybody know of a sale, are simliar to that sale between now and the new year?Since tomorrow is Black Fri,been checking Amazon but so far nothing.

Don Dorn
11-22-2007, 4:46 PM
You could check Harbor Freight for their "parallel jaw clamps". I bought some at our local store on clearance as it's going to be an internet only item. I can't believe they didn't get sued by Bessy because they are identical - even the details in almost every part. I even like the handles better on the HF ones as they are fluted aluminum. Worth checking out because they are half the price and work just as well.

Rick Thom
11-22-2007, 9:10 PM
Carroll, not looking to create controversy but given the choice of Bessy 'K- body' or Jet, I would choose the Jet. They have several advantages.. wider face, better handle grip, adjustable stops, more positive ratchet mechanism. I think they are comparably priced and similar lengths to the Bessy's .
Here's an example. http://www.internationaltool.com/jetclamps.htm

James Reichman
11-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Watch Amazon! This time last year I bought quite a few 30" Bessey's. The funny thing is they where also free shipping. But they shipped each one in it's own BIG box. The front porch was loaded! The LOML just laughed.
Good Luck

Jared Cuneo
11-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Agree on the Jet's....I got the Jet's after the Besseys and the Besseys feel flimsy and small after handling the Jet's.

No more Besseys for me.....

JC

Brian Hale
11-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Check Amazon now. They have a "Buy 4 items and get the lowest priced item free" promotion going on and the Bessey (at least the 24") are included. That's $26.47 each and free shipping.

Brian :)

Grant Vanbokklen
11-22-2007, 11:42 PM
there is a good video at the bottom of this page that shows them in action: http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetclmprvu.html

Agree on the Jet's....I got the Jet's after the Besseys and the Besseys feel flimsy and small after handling the Jet's.

No more Besseys for me.....

JC

frank shic
11-23-2007, 12:16 AM
wait until a bessey accidentally opens on you and slams your thumb or head and you will become a JET convert!

Don Dorn
11-23-2007, 5:29 AM
wait until a bessey accidentally opens on you and slams your thumb or head and you will become a JET convert!

I already am after watching that video.

Carroll Courtney
11-23-2007, 5:57 AM
James,I think I remember you talking about all the boxes last year.An I did LOL.Never thought about the Jet clamps being better.I went from the 3/4 pipe clamps to the Bessey difference between night and day.Check out the Jet clamps at the above attachment and they very good.I put them on my wish list at Amazon and remove the Bessey.Also will visit the Harbor Freight and check them out.Thanks Guys

Dan Barr
11-23-2007, 9:26 AM
Can i get the link to the video youre talking about?

v/r

dan

Grant Vanbokklen
11-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Can i get the link to the video youre talking about?
dan

It is in my post above.

Also jet is having some deals:
http://content.jettools.com/promotions/2007_04_Jet_Woodworking.pdf
Looks like I'm getting a $25 gift card for the $167 wet sharpener I just bought :D

"Gary Brewer"
11-23-2007, 1:18 PM
Just a point of information: There was a recent article in Fine Woodworking about clamp pressures and they rated the clamping pressure of a bunch of different clamps. To my surprise the parallel Jet clamps had a very low clamping pressure compared to the similar Bessy's. I have used both types and do like the handles on the Jet a lot better but maybe there is something about the thread on the clamp or what ever. Up to that point I would have gone with the new Jets but if the article is accurate than I personally would wait. FYI I could probably find the article if interested.
Gary

Paul Johnstone
11-23-2007, 2:33 PM
I have a mixed collection. More Bessey's than Jets.

The Jets have a slightly wider jaw, which is nice.

To me, the Bessey sliding head vs the Jet trigger is no big deal.
I actually prefer the Bessey way, but that's probably because I'm used to it.

IMO, you should buy whichever one you get a better deal on. They are both nice products.

Rick Hartwig
11-23-2007, 3:06 PM
I talked to a salesman at The Cayce Company. We recently purchased a few shapers and dust collectors from them. He said the reason for the price reduction of the Besseys was because they knew the Jet style of clamps were coming out and the vendors knew they needed to unload the K-body style. Of course he was selling the Jets. I shook my head and smiled. I told him nice pitch. I bought two of the Jets to try them out. They do seem to work well. The guys here prefer them to the Besseys. I will probably buy more. We will give them a year before we determine if they are a better design.

As far as the clamping pressure, As long as glue is squeezing out, how much pressure do you need. I guess you would need more pressure if you are gluing a bunch of boards face to face. I don't know if I would use K-bodys for this purpose anyway. It is a good point though.

We have tried all types of clamps. The Jorgenson (K-body style) were a little cumbersome and we actually broke one just tightning it up. Cheap metal I guess. We took it back and the others just sit as secondary clamps. Bessey K-bodys are still the prefered clamp (for now).

The little Bessey uni-clamps are nice also. They are like mini K-bodys. We will slowly replace the pony clamps with these.

You are not a professional woodworker unless you have blood blisters in the webbing between your thumb and forefinger from the sliding Besseys.:D

James Phillips
11-23-2007, 3:06 PM
The green woodcraft clamps are bessey's. Bessey makes them in green for woodcraft and they are a little cheaper.

Bryan Rocker
11-23-2007, 5:09 PM
I stopped by the local HF and found the 24" Bessy wannabe's on clearance for $15 each. 4 of them came home with me.....

Bryan