PDA

View Full Version : Any tool buying plans for Black Friday?

Rich Engelhardt
11-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Hello,
Anyone else planning on making the tool rounds tomorrow morning?
I'm heading to, probably Home Depot to pick up another (already have two) Ridgid 12 gal shop vac for $29.00.
This year it comes with a free extra filter.
Dang, I don't "need" a third shop vac, but the doggone filters are $15.00 each. I can't see passing up a free shop vac.:p

While I'm there, I'm probably going to end up with one of the cordless drills they have on sale too. Probably the 18V DeWalt compact for $97.

Steve Clardy
11-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Uumm. No plans.
But that might change if Amazon comes up with some good deals ;)

I just got that PC router/sander deal I couldn't pass up. 2 of them.

Tool money's pretty well history now.:rolleyes:

Bill Bryant
11-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm doing my buying online this year, so for me Black Friday is only gray.

Dave Anderson NH
11-22-2007, 12:26 PM
No way, not a chance, will never happen. While I really hate shopping, the idea of going out on Black Friday to even a woodworking store gives me the willies. Crowds, traffic, crowds, long lines, crowds, stock outs, etc, make it the worst of times to shop. In case you couldn't guess, I hate crowds.

Jim Becker
11-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Nope. Not only do I never go to any retail establishment willingly on that particular day, there are more important things to do...like eat leftovers and visit relatives... :)

Jack Camillo
11-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Aside from the borgs, I haven't been able to locate any "Black Friday" screaming deals anywhere. I looked hard. You know, like a (couple) thousand off on a 20inch planer, or 16 inch jointer; or like 50 bucks off on an LN or LV planer. Or SOMETHING. Dang.

Sean Troy
11-22-2007, 1:23 PM
Nope. Not only do I never go to any retail establishment willingly on that particular day, there are more important things to do...like eat leftovers and visit relatives... :)

AH yes, leftovers. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ drooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.. ....

Art Mulder
11-22-2007, 1:28 PM
But that might change if Amazon comes up with some good deals ;)

I just got that PC router/sander deal I couldn't pass up. 2 of them.

Geez Steve, how many PC690 routers do you have by now? :rolleyes:

Bill Huber
11-22-2007, 1:29 PM
I am with Jim on this one.

Turkey sandwiches and then some more pie and then one more turkey sandwich and some dressing to top it off with.

Rich Engelhardt
11-22-2007, 1:53 PM
Hello,
Wow! You guys are all party poopers!

You should give the 4:00am to 6:00am opening crowd a try.
The real "zoos" are the Wal and K marts, the toy stores, the malls and the electronic places.

The "hardware" stores usually have 40 to 100 people lined up, and everyone seems in good spirits.
Heck, at Sears Hardware last year, the manager opened the outer doors so people could get to the shopping carts. A couple of guys at the front of the line distributed carts to the rest of us.
We were in @ 5:00am, out and had the van loaded by 5:15am.
We got to HD at 5:30am, waited until 6:00am when they opened, then out by about 6:20am.
There's a Best buy about 200 yards from HD. Talk about a zoo!
All of us in line @ HD were making fun of them.

There was plenty of time for leftovers/visiting since the relatives were sawing logs until well after 9:00am.

Dave Falkenstein
11-22-2007, 2:07 PM
One of the outlet malls here in north Phoenix is opening at midnight on Thursday to get a jump on the other stores that are not opening until much later - like 4:00AM. Yikes, what some people won't do for a bargain. Not me though. I'll be sound asleep! Happy TG everyone.

glenn bradley
11-22-2007, 2:08 PM
As a demonstration of my love and commitment I subject myself to being "tote-boy" for the LOML on Black Friday. It is nearly unbearable for me and she knows this and appreciates my efforts. As long as I'm out anyway, you can bet we'll 'just swing through' any stores we pass that may interest me and add to my shop stock.

Sean Troy
11-22-2007, 2:19 PM
As a demonstration of my love and commitment I subject myself to being "tote-boy" for the LOML on Black Friday. It is nearly unbearable for me and she knows this and appreciates my efforts. As long as I'm out anyway, you can bet we'll 'just swing through' any stores we pass that may interest me and add to my shop stock.

BIG, BIG points for you ! Yeah, you'll be having a Happy Thanksgiving.LOL !

Gary Herrmann
11-22-2007, 2:29 PM
No malls, no electronic stores, no toy stores. Leftovers. And naps.

But I may hit the local exotic wood store that has an annual sale and I did just get a Rockler coupon...

Greg Heppeard
11-22-2007, 2:32 PM
Getting a bunch of stuff for the new shop...3hp dust collector, drum sander, door templates, dust collection hook ups, air filtration, new Kreg jig (wore the old one out) etc, etc, etc....too much shopping for me.:D:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2007, 2:50 PM
I seriously thought about ordering my DC tomorrow but Oneida is closed.

Go out and shop on Black Friday?

Nope..........!

Darl Bundren
11-22-2007, 3:08 PM
I don't know if it will happen tomorrow, but I am going to buy a Rikon 14" bandsaw within the next week or so. I may do it tomorrow if the store has one in stock.

If I am not buying that, I'll not be out and around the retail scene.

Matt Crew
11-22-2007, 5:20 PM
Not me, nope, no way!

I had to drive past the green borge last year to get to work and couldn't believe those poeple were parking as far away as 1/4 mile and walking to the store. What a mess.

Jim Kountz
11-22-2007, 6:40 PM
Well the best deal I found was not at a store but online. Woodcraft had the Wixey digital fence gauge for $99 plus they are throwing in a free Wixey angle gauge PLUS free shipping. So I was all over that like an ant at a picnic. Thats my black Friday spending and I never had to leave the house! Love it!

Bob Genovesi
11-22-2007, 6:44 PM
Did some shopping yesterday. I went to Lowes "just in case" I needed something. A Bosch 14.4 volt cordless drill caught my eye, sooooooo, somehow it found its way into my shop, can you imagine that!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Bosch02.jpg

I'm not one of those guys who "mingle" well with folks, and I can't stand crowds at all. I watch people that get in lines a little after midnight and wonder; "whats wrong with these people"? My wife knows better than to ask me if I want to go shopping this time of year...

So to answer your question, no, I won't be bargain hunting with all the women on Black Friday. Why should I stress myself since I have the Internet and all these wonderful leftovers from Thanksgiving...

Doug Shepard
11-22-2007, 7:28 PM
Already blew my November tool allowance. Brown dropped this off Thanksgiving Eve day.

There's always Christmas tho....

John W. Willis
11-22-2007, 7:53 PM
Haven't, wouldn't, won't, nope, no chance! I have been doing 95% of my shopping online the last year or so, even tools.

There is suppose to be a big push by the major retailers this year to get internet shoppers. They're calling it cyber Monday, so I'm waiting for that this year. Suppose to be the 26th.

Rob Will
11-22-2007, 7:55 PM
Oh yes, I'm going to camp on the sidewalk at the mall tonight so I can be the first one in the door at 4:00 AM. You betcha;):rolleyes:.

I just try to stay off the road.

Rob

Gary Keedwell
11-22-2007, 8:12 PM
Online sales Monday? I guess I'll be sleeping in my living room next to my computer.:eek::D

Gary

John Revilla
11-22-2007, 8:13 PM
As usual, i'll be the "driver" and "bag boy" for my wife shopping around. Last year, I was inside a Victoria's Secret store at 5:30 in the AM. I was the only one not wearing a bra. No complaints though, I need a new lathe and an oscilating sander as compensation. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Godsped.

Don Bullock
11-22-2007, 8:47 PM
I'm planning some shop time tomorrow, not shopping time.;):D Besides SWMBO has made it clear that I'm over budget this year tho I did buy a couple of the wood racks on sale at WoodCraft yesterday.:rolleyes:

Randal Stevenson
11-22-2007, 8:59 PM
As usual, i'll be the "driver" and "bag boy" for my wife shopping around. Last year, I was inside a Victoria's Secret store at 5:30 in the AM. I was the only one not wearing a bra. No complaints though, I need a new lathe and an oscilating sander as compensation. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Godsped.

You should have wore a t-shirt saying, "free opinions given". Your wife wouldn't have had you in there.

I am thinking of hitting the hardwood store tomorrow, since they were still setting up from opening, the last time I was in there.

Mike Heidrick
11-22-2007, 9:06 PM
I have been overbudget since March this year. Managed to get the DC580 planer in before all doors closed this year though.

Recently a good buddy moving to WA state landed me a new wood hauler in trade for the JGC. 2006 Titan. It even came full of 24"-36" hardwood cut offs so it is a true wood hauler.

That basically shot Christmas (wife's logic) BUT tomorrow I drive 120 miles or so and am pickingup the Powermatic 701 mortiser from Chris Jenkins. I do not know if that is Black Friday shopping or not but it is a deal worth going to get!! May stop by the Sears morning madness and pick up some through Handle Hex wrenches for half off on the way out of town. It will be hard to not stop at the DLPs.

skip coyne
11-22-2007, 9:35 PM
I stopped by HD yesterday and picked up this 12v ryobi lion drill driver combo

nice and compact , used it yesterday and today works great I love the size and weight , nicely balanced

I was going to get the bosh LION screwdriver but I like th drill aspect with this

No early morning runs for me tomorrow:)

Ron Jones near Indy
11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I had planned a trip to Woodcraft. That's about 2 hours on the road (plus who knows how much time at the store) to get the remote switch for my DC on sale. I checked online and it is the same price with free shipping. Ordered it shipped to my door. Looks like shop time tomorrow!:) Life is good!:)

Charles Wiggins
11-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Computer memory upgrade - Office Depot's got a black Friday special on 512MB for $19.99, and our PC will take two. Going from 256MB to 1 Gig. Whoo-hoo! Then it's back home to leftovers and naps.

Friday 7:22 AM - DONE! Waited in line for 40 mins. before the store opened at 6 AM. Took 3 mins. to find the memory (spent waiting to talk to associate to locate memory aisle). 12 minutes waiting to check out, and about 1 minute for the transaction. Back in the car by 6:18 AM. Now I've had breakfast and am going BACK TO BED!!!

Marc Prudhomme
11-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Those green colored Ryobi cordless tools....Lithium, Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jim O'Dell
11-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Nope, not me either. But then, I have to work 6:45 am to 6:00 pm.:( And I'll be on a different service drive all by myself tomorrow. 2 of the 6 service advisors are off. That leaves 4 of us to cover 3 different buildings. Could be fun if it gets busy! But at least it will be better than those years I managed a stereo store!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Glad most of you get the day off! Jim.

Tim A. Mitchell
11-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Luckily no plans for shopping for anything.

As an aside, a few years back, the LOML and I had finished our shopping prior to Thanksgiving. On Fri, we thought, "What should we do with the day off?" Well, we decided to head to the outlet mall down in Williamsburg, VA. We drove down from Richmond, but didn't think about what day it was, until we saw a bit of traffic outside the mall with the officer directing traffic.

We immediately pulled into a nice and close parking spot, and meandered around the mall without a care. Even the mobs of people didn't bother us. Just goes to show, it is not really the day or the people, but what you are trying to do.

I refuse to shop on Black Friday, but hte wife and I joke yearly about going to the outlet mall on the day after Thanksgiving.:)

Oh, by the wy, we just learned this one: Do not do portriates the day before thanksgiving. I guess that the the worst day for that.

Gary Muto
11-23-2007, 2:55 AM
Well the best deal I found was not at a store but online. Woodcraft had the Wixey digital fence gauge for $99 plus they are throwing in a free Wixey angle gauge PLUS free shipping. So I was all over that like an ant at a picnic. Thats my black Friday spending and I never had to leave the house! Love it!

Thanks Jim. I've been eye-balling that fence indicator for a while. I've been thinking that I'll probably upgrade to an Incra Fence and have resisted. With the offer you mentioned, no tax and no shipping AND combined with a postcard coupon code #10161, I was able to get a $20 gift card as well. That put me over the edge, so I just pulled the trigger.:cool:
I added a $6 brass knob T-track kit to get over $100 which changed the gift card from $10 to $20

scott spencer
11-23-2007, 3:35 AM
"Not me, not now"! :D

Rich Engelhardt
11-23-2007, 6:44 AM
Hello,
Wheeee!
Into HD @ 6:00am and out , loaded up and headed home @ 6:11am.

Picked up not one, but two of the DeWalt drills for $97.00 ea.
Batteries are ~ $89.00 and a charger is ~ $55.00, so I figured I might as well pick up another drill w/2 batteries& charger, and be money ahead.

Not crowded at all.

Quite a few people, but not a mob scene like the malls.

Robert Mayer
11-23-2007, 9:18 AM
No shopping for me. I already got so many good deals the last couple months. I got a ridgid 12" scms for $175 with a mobile base, retail its like $800. I got a huge pallet of old black walnut for $50. And just recently got 300 boards of aromatic cedar for $1 a board. Im set! or so the wife says.

Dave Lehnert
11-23-2007, 1:04 PM
I purchased a TomTom one 3rd edition GPS. (To get me to the saw mill) Reg $250. on sale for $229. had a 10% off coupon. = $206.10. $100 rebate takes it to $106.10. Then the store offered a $50 gift certificate good on anything in the store with purchase. (it's a one stop shopping store so I can get grocery) So $56.10 for a GPS ROCKS!!!!

Gary Keedwell
11-23-2007, 1:22 PM
I purchased a TomTom one 3rd edition GPS. (To get me to the saw mill) Reg $250. on sale for $229. had a 10% off coupon. = $206.10. $100 rebate takes it to $106.10. Then the store offered a $50 gift certificate good on anything in the store with purchase. (it's a one stop shopping store so I can get grocery) So $56.10 for a GPS ROCKS!!!!
Dave...they have a thread on the TT going on at Off Topic. Might want to check it out.

Gary

Don Bullock
11-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, I didn't go out to the stores on Black Friday. If the day after counts, the LOML got me a great deal this weekend. Rockler had the Jet 650 Dust Collector with Remote on sale for $199.99 which is a savings of $170.:D

Jet DC-650 Dust Collector with Remote