PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Candlestick Holders & Happy Thanksgiving

Tim Malyszko
11-22-2007, 11:30 AM
A few weeks ago, my wife was looking through a Christmas Catalog and found some turned candlestick holders she liked and asked if I could make something similar. I finally finished my version of the candlestick holders. They are made from a single piece of 4x4 walnut and finished using Watco Danish Oil and buffed using the Beal Buffing System.

The candlestick holders are all 3.5" in diameter and are 10", 8.5" and 4" tall.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but my favorite thing about them is that the grain patterns match on all 3 candlesticks since they were cut from the same 4x4. This is one feature that I imagine it would be near impossible to find at a retail store.

Finally, the ones my wife saw in the catalog sold for nearly $80/set, as oppossed to my set, which cost me less than $15 in materials.

Overall, I was very pleased with the way they turned out. This was my first attempt at turning walnut and my first attempt at any spindle turning for stand-alone objects. While I enjoy working with walnut when building furniture, it wasn't one of my favorite woods to turn. Getting a smooth finish was somewhat challenging and the dust was a real irritant. Other than that, I ruined 2 other candlestick holders when they flew out of the chuck (of course it happens when I was about 95% done with them) - there was a small check that I did not see and it eventually failed, causing the holder to crack and the base of the chuck and then slip from the chuck. I aso had 2 pieces break away from the 2 smaller holders, but was able to find the pieces, glue it back into place and finish the turning. After turning and finishing, you could not even see where the repair was made.

Anyway, have a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday.

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Nice work Tim! I am sure your wife is glad she asked you to make these! Beautiful rich color and great finishes! Nice work!

Mike A. Smith
11-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Very nice variations on a theme. Good work Tim.

robert hainstock
11-22-2007, 2:12 PM
Realy nice fit, design, and finish. Always nice to please Moma!:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2007, 2:58 PM
Tim those are beauties. I really like the designs on each. Well done.

Gary Herrmann
11-22-2007, 3:48 PM
Nice job, Tim. Now light those candles and turn out the lights so you can take a nap from all that tryptophan overload.

Oh wait, I guess that's me.

Tom Sherman
11-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Nice candle holders Tim.

John Hart
11-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Pretty Cool! They kinda look like a family.....and momma is lookin' mighty fine! :)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-23-2007, 8:36 AM
Tim, please don't let the LOML see these or I'll be in big trouble. They are just what she has been asking for. Great work. They are quite a nice set.:)

Pete Jordan
11-23-2007, 9:09 AM
Tim,

Those are really special!

Hart,
You need to get a ventilator!

John Hart
11-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Hart,
You need to get a ventilator!

Are you calling me a dummy?!!!:eek:

...oh wait...that's a ventriloquist.:o

....nevermind.:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-24-2007, 1:28 PM
Congratulations, Tim---I think you've made an heirloom set there. :)

I like 'em!

Alex Elias
11-24-2007, 3:41 PM
They look great. I like the 2 sheter ones the best in terms of shape. Nice set you got there

Paul Engle
11-25-2007, 8:13 AM
Nice work Tim, walnut is a bout the best and you did a fine job with these, maybe the LOYL will commision you to do some something that you may need more tooling for, that's how I got some of my " tools " ..;)