PDA

View Full Version : Argh, what lathe should I buy?

David Parker
11-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi All,

I just finished my first one week woodturning course and have been captured by the experience. We used Powermatic 3520B's in class and I thought it was a nice machine, but a little too heavy to lug down into my basement workshop (the stairs turn a corner too!). Plus I'm not sure I want to spend $2800 on my first lathe, particularly when perfectly adequate ones for my current needs can be had for half that price. After some research, I've narrowed it down to:

Jet 1642EVS $1,250 currently at Woodcraft with their rebates - little brother of the 3520B. I was thinking of going with the 115 volt 1 1/2 hp version of this just to avoid having to install a 220V outlet. For $200 more (plus the cost of having someone install the outlet) I could go with the 220 volt 2 hp version if people think this would make a big difference in performance.

Nova DVR XP $2000 - The electronically controlled direct drive is calling to my gaget side. I'm not convinced though that such technology gives this machine a $750 operational advantage over the Jet. Any opinions? My understanding is that this one will run on either 115 volts or 220 volts. This one is also fairly compact but comes without a stand, which is another expense.

Any other comparable ones I should be considering in this $1K to 2K price range? If I really get bitten by the woodturning bug and find I want a more capable lathe in another year or two, I'd probably then go with a Oneway or Robust. I'm not going there yet, until I know more about what I want to do and what my needs will be. I'd appreciate anyone's worldly (woodly?) opinions. Thanks.

Dave
A woodturning neophyte

Tim A. Mitchell
11-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Welcome.

I wish I could help you out, but I am turning on the Rikon mini. The machines you list are still out of my price range, and take up more room then the LOML will give me in the garage.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your pieces.

Curt Fuller
11-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I've never heard any real complaints about any of those lathes. But no matter how much lathe you buy there will always be a time when you wished you had more. Size does matter in lathes, so go for all you can get into the basement.

Neal Addy
11-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Both are excellent lathes. Can't go too wrong either way.

BUT... how long do you think it would be before you are lusting after a Mustard? Like Curt says, size DOES matter when it comes to a lathe.

George Guadiane
11-22-2007, 12:16 AM
I've never heard any real complaints about any of those lathes. But no matter how much lathe you buy there will always be a time when you wished you had more. Size does matter in lathes, so go for all you can get into the basement.
What he said!

Denny Rice
11-22-2007, 12:29 AM
David,

I am faced with the same delima..... I really like the Jet lathe a lot. I have checked feedback on this forum and at Amazon.com it gets 4 1/2 stars on Amazon and high marks on this site too. I was looking at the smaller 14" Jet but after the rebate and Woodcrafts sale it would be almost crazy to buy the smaller lathe. I have also had feedback from a lot of guys here that purchased the smaller Jet for 899.00 and kept it for awile and sold it due to needing more swing out of their lathe.

Tom Johnson Ohio
11-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Rockler has the Jet 1642 2 Horsepower version on sale for 1399.00 with free shipping, including lift gate service. That's hard to beat.:rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
11-22-2007, 12:51 AM
I have a JET 1442. It was around 800 bucks I believe. It's a great lathe for the money IMHO. I'm saving for a VB36 someday:D

charlie knighton
11-22-2007, 4:15 AM
in the winter 2007 issue of American Woodturner Laguna Tools has their 18/47 lathe for $1695, i have not seen this lathe, anybody have one or any of their other lathes????? it looks very interesting and worth considering

Paul Andrews
11-22-2007, 7:21 AM
Jet 1642EVS $1,250 currently at Woodcraft with their rebates - little brother of the 3520B. I was thinking of going with the 115 volt 1 1/2 hp version of this just to avoid having to install a 220V outlet. For $200 more (plus the cost of having someone install the outlet) I could go with the 220 volt 2 hp version if people think this would make a big difference in performance.

Nova DVR XP $2000 - The electronically controlled direct drive is calling to my gaget side. I'm not convinced though that such technology gives this machine a $750 operational advantage over the Jet. Any opinions? My understanding is that this one will run on either 115 volts or 220 volts. This one is also fairly compact but comes without a stand, which is another expense.

David,

If you chose the Jet, pay the extra and get the two hp. It may seem to be very little difference in hp, but in the not to distant future you will regret not having the extra power.

I have never turned on the Nova. If it is 2k with out a stand then you are within 2-3 hundred of the powermatic, which in my opinion is the best value for this price range. It is also a lathe that should fullfill your needs for a long time.

Most turners, myself included, start out with a lathe they think they will get by with, only to find as their skills increase they desire a larger machine. If the bug has bitten you hard, and turning is what you want to do, then save money in the long run by purchasing a lathe that you can live with for years.

Just my opinion.

Bill Blasic
11-22-2007, 7:24 AM
David,
I have a Nova DVR and a Powermatic 3520b, I like them both very much. Don't count out making your own stand for a DVR as you can make a custom stand that will hold a lot of equipment and be very sturdy. My DVR is also capable of upgrading the electronics to current XP version. I'm wired for 220 and it has a lot of power, quiet, and I have had no complaints at all. Now the Powermatic, this is also a super nice machine, smooth, heavy, very capable! No one would be unhappy with this lathe. Why do I have both - A GREAT WIFE! What can I say! Good luck with your choice.

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2007, 8:40 AM
I had the chance to turn on both the 1642 and the Nova DVR. I chose the DVR and haven't been sorry about the choice. Either lathe would serve you well. I had the same problem with no 220V in my shop.

Jim Becker
11-22-2007, 8:47 AM
David, if you have the choice and go with the Jet, by all means go with the 2hp version. It will make a difference as you go larger and if you decide to do anything like coring, etc.

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2007, 11:12 AM
David - I have the Jet 2 hp version and it is a great machine! I did manage to get it into the basement shop by myself - something not possible without a lot of help if you get the Powermatic. I picked the 1642 because I figured I would never turn anything over the 16" limit anyway. Wrong! Within the first week of having the new lathe I had a project come up that I couldn't turn on the Jet because it was 19". Had to use a router! Hated that!

So, if you can swing it - go with the 3520B and get some assist to get it in your shop area. You would be hard pressed to come up against any limitations with that lathe! If the 3520B is not within your budget - go with the Jet and 2 hp. Even though there are some limitations as to turning size, it is a great lathe and you would be very happy with it!

Reed Gray
11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I would go with the 2 hp Jet, you could get it and get the 220 installed for the same price as the Nova. The 220 volt will work more efficiently than the 110. I was looking at the Nova once, before the DVR, and figured that the PM was twice the lathe for just a little bit more money. While I haven't seen the new Laguna, I would definatly consider that. They didn't have it out in Portland (big mistake on their part) but they do make very good tools. Sliding headstock is better than a pivoting one in my opinion, another consideration.
robo hippy

Mike Vickery
11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I think the DVR is great machine but for the price you are listing I would go with the Jet which is also a very good machine. Oh and yes I would go with the 2HP if you can. If you are interested in coring later on you will definately appreciate the extra power.

Bill Fleming
11-22-2007, 11:56 AM
I too was giving all this consideration some time ago - really looking to make legs for Thomas Moser style stools so was looking at the Jet and not really planning to get hooked on turning.

Found a well used but in very good shape MiniMax T-120 with production duplicator on the local Craig's List for $600 - stool leg problem solved!

Did my stools and then took off the very heavy production duplicator and got hooked!!! This lathe is similar in size to the Jet 16", in fact more like 18" anyway....

If I had done it all from a retail start I would have gone with a Jet mini - would like the variable speed version but the new 12" one add nice capacity. I would of course been hooked and upgraded but would keep a good mini for small items and buffing. Then would have upgraded to the Powermatic which would have been good for a long time or until I would go to a Stubby, VB, Oneway or Robust..... which is where I am today but will probably keep the MiniMax since the duplicator is great for spindle production such as stools, chairs, etc.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving - Bill

Bart Leetch
11-22-2007, 11:59 AM
David Parker

Don't these lathes come apart i.e. legs, ways, power head, tail stock. If so I don't see a problem getting it down in a basement.

Tim A. Mitchell

Gee your LOYL has most of the house doesn't she?

The LOML knows when we get a garage it will never house a car for more that a little maintenance time & as I get older I'm not so sure about that.

We will not settle for anything less than a 2 car garage with the breaker box in the garage & the laundry, freezer & outdoor stuff somewhere else. I don't mind having a electric hot water tank in the garage because that means I can get a deep sink in there one way or the other. I will put up a small shed for outdoor stuff if I need to before I'll let it into the shop.

Gordon Seto
11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
David,

at Amazon.com it gets 4 1/2 stars on Amazon and high marks on this site too. I was looking at the smaller 14" Jet but after the rebate and Woodcrafts sale it would be almost crazy to buy the smaller lathe.

Denny,

Don't mean to be disrespect, been burnt too many times on those Amazon ratings. See this post:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69513
I don't have any inside information, I'll bet the 14" Jet is going to be replaced soon. The Reeves drive was the technology of yesteryears. In the past several years, there has not been a new model introduced with Reeves drive by any major manufacturer (except low quality clones from overseas and boat anchor from Palmgren/Craftsman). I believe its discontinue sale is approaching (don't know when).
I think the best lathe in the sub $1000 is the Nova 1624-44. But the Jet 1642 is a better buy, a lot of lathe for the money.
BTW, I have the DVR and still love it. I would trade it for a Stubby, but not a Jet.
When I got my DVR, it was several hundred cheaper. At that time, the price of Jet 1642 was several hundred higher. Their price went into different directions over the last 3 years. At their current prices, I think the 1642 is the better buy.

Gordon

JerHall
11-22-2007, 5:10 PM
I am Mustard but have turned on both of the above lathes. My thoughts:

VARIABLE SPEED
- Nova raises speeds in steps of multiple button pushes. Lowest speed 250 rpm? Slower response to speed changes. After my Mustard experience I just don't like it.
- 1642: analog dial for speed changes, instant fast speed adjustment, maybe 60 rpm minimum. This is nice for lots of finish related things and mounting fixtures with fast control to "Off" with one control. You can dial easily as you go for desired speed in sanding and friction finishing. You will end up loving this feature.

SIZE
- Nova is a more compact lathe. Maybe 12" shorter. Rotating headstock also helps with your shop footprint in some situations. In a small shop the Nova shines.
- 1642 is in another league when it comes to weight, stability, cast iron legs. You will see the difference immediately. The long bed length may be a plus or a minus.

STAND
- Nova: You will pay to build your own or pay extra for the legs. A risk of building your own is your will be tempted to use your knee room for storage and structure. Knee room is very useful for comfort and performing the "dance."
- 1642: Very robust cast iron legs with supports to simply add storage inside of knee space.

HOLLOWING
- Nova: as mentioned the rotating headstock and moveable rest are a very nice feature. Provides ability to turn large diameter (over 16") objects
- 1642: Moveable headstock, to end of lathe. Very comfortable position for deep hollowing. Need an add-on of some sort to get rest in position to turn over 16" objects. There are severals good solutions to this. They may cost $300 or so. See mustardmonster dot googlepages dot com and go to the "outboard rest" page for some ideas.

MISC
- Each of the few Novas I have seen have had some looseness in the headstock even when locked down. Not usually a practical problem, but it unerved me. I am sure that is not always the case, but I would worry that over time...The 1642 sliding headstock locks solid.
- Jet/Powermatic parts and service are US based and have proven to be excellent with fast response. Nova has an excellent reputation as well. Nova uses a very new technology for powering the lathe. 1642 is a proven, older technology. Nova has a history of upgrades to electronics and software. Good and bad. I like old and proven with industry standard parts.

My bias is clear. Get the Nova if you like the footprint. You will be happy. It is a fine lathe. If you have the room you will be MUCH happier, especially for the price, with a 1642. It has been accurately described as a smaller PM3520. If you get the 1642 the 220V 2HP is worthwhile.

Gordon Seto
11-22-2007, 5:41 PM
The min. speed on the DVR has been changed to 100 for some years.

I don't have a headstock loosening problem. If it does, I don't see how you won't get chattering. Try turning without locking the toolrest. That is absolutely not acceptable.

One advantage of the DVR is that it can be programmed to "soft". That is a safety feature in the learning process. When I tried coring the first time, the blade jammed. The lathe just stopped without breaking anything. You will have to reset after 3 stallings.

The same thing happened to my friend's lathe. The tenon broke from the chuck, bent the blade and the huge blank rolled off the lathe. It was scary.

Gordon

JerHall
11-22-2007, 7:25 PM
Gordon,

Good feedback. I had forgotten that the programming had changed to 100rpm. That is a nice number. The soft stop feature is a great feature that should be appreciated. When I was learning on my mustard monster I loosened the belt a bit, but not the same thing.

I first noticed the head stock movement at a class at Woodcraft. Had a bad catch. Then the instructor was unable to solid it up. Last time on a newer DVR while demonstrating a heavy green oak natural edge bowl. The stand was not great. You expect vibration. But in checking further when I grasped the bowl and headstock with my whole body, there was a bit of movement that we just couldn't eliminate. Even examined the mechanism (I think it was a cone type locking system that allowed rotation.) That's where it ended. Maybe that cone needed adjustment. It was no where near as bad as a loose rest.

In rereading my post I came across pretty opinionated. I guess my main point is just that they are two very different lathes and it is important to know what you want with respect to those differences.

Regards, Jerry

Gordon Seto
11-22-2007, 7:53 PM
Jerry,

I own the DVR, but I am not a cheer leader of what I have. At the time of my purchase, as I posted earlier, the DVR was a better buy. Based on the current price reduction of Powermatic and Jet, probably I would buy the 3520 instead. If I add the price of the legs, outboard assembly and bed extension, the DVR cost would be too close to the Powermatic. I think the 1642 and the DVR have their pros and cons; there is no clear winner. The Powermatic is the next level of lathe. Along with free shipping, Jet/Powermatic are squeezing their competitors hard.

Gordon

Richard Madison
11-22-2007, 9:49 PM
Man, that is such a good price on the 1642-EVS2, if I had some money I'd buy another one just for a "spare".

CPeter James
11-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I have the 3520B and I am not one bit sorry for spending the "big" money. Well worth every penny. It is big and heavy, but you can break it down into manageable pieces for moving it. Two people can handle all the pieces. Three or four would be better, but not necessary. I went through 4 lathes in one year before getting to the 3520B. Don't waste time and money doing upgrades. Jump right to the "big one".

CPeter

robert hainstock
11-23-2007, 6:35 AM
Bigger is better!:D

Glenn Hodges
11-23-2007, 11:14 AM
David I have a buddy with the Nova lathe. He bought it when it first came out, had a few problems, but is happy with it now. I believe the head swivels on it, if it does this is a big plus for me.

David Parker
11-25-2007, 8:25 PM
I want to thank everyone for their valuable insight. I ended up ordering the Jet 1642EVS-2 (the 2 HP, 230 volt version) today from Woodcraft. With their specials, I was able to get it for $1,340, which includes shipping. Now I can't wait for it to arrive. Of course I need to clear out a space for it and get a 230 volt outlet installed while I wait. Plus there are so many other toys, I mean accessories I need to obtain. Christmas is coming early to our house!

David Woodruff
06-02-2010, 3:08 PM
Hi All,

I just finished my first one week woodturning course and have been captured by the experience. We used Powermatic 3520B's in class and I thought it was a nice machine, but a little too heavy to lug down into my basement workshop (the stairs turn a corner too!). Plus I'm not sure I want to spend $2800 on my first lathe, particularly when perfectly adequate ones for my current needs can be had for half that price. After some research, I've narrowed it down to:

Any other comparable ones I should be considering in this $1K to 2K price range? If I really get bitten by the woodturning bug and find I want a more capable lathe in another year or two, I'd probably then go with a Oneway or Robust. I'm not going there yet, until I know more about what I want to do and what my needs will be. I'd appreciate anyone's worldly (woodly?) opinions. Thanks.

Dave
A woodturning neophyte
Spend the money for Electronic Variable speed drive regardless of lathe manufacturer, helps re-sale value and greatly enhances turning enjoyment.David Woodruff

Edward Bartimmo
06-02-2010, 3:55 PM
I started out with the 14" Jet. I bought it for $850 and kept it for 2 years. As soon as I began to feel comfortable with my tools and skills I began lusting after larger more complex pieces of wood...burl, root balls, voids. As soon as you own a large chainsaw you begin fantasizing.

I am certain that the same would have happened if I had started with a midi...happy with a 4" piece and then beginning to daydream about a 10" bowl...

I trade up from my 14" Jet to a 3520B and it is a world of difference. The mass as well as the horsepower is unmistakeable. If you can hold off it is worth saving for a 3520. If this is several years out then don't wait, because it is better to have fun now and get some therapy time in the shop. One thing to keep in mind is which lathe will be easier to resell when you get ready to upgrade in 2-3 years.

Enjoy

Roland Martin
06-02-2010, 4:15 PM
Congratulations David, good choice IMO. I'm very happy with mine. Accessories, accessories, accessories, it never ends:D ENJOY!!

Bill Wilcox
06-02-2010, 4:26 PM
I started out with the 14" Jet. I bought it for $850 and kept it for 2 years. As soon as I began to feel comfortable with my tools and skills I began lusting after larger more complex pieces of wood...burl, root balls, voids. As soon as you own a large chainsaw you begin fantasizing.

I am certain that the same would have happened if I had started with a midi...happy with a 4" piece and then beginning to daydream about a 10" bowl...

I trade up from my 14" Jet to a 3520B and it is a world of difference. The mass as well as the horsepower is unmistakeable. If you can hold off it is worth saving for a 3520. If this is several years out then don't wait, because it is better to have fun now and get some therapy time in the shop. One thing to keep in mind is which lathe will be easier to resell when you get ready to upgrade in 2-3 years.

Enjoy

Well, I wonder if he is planning on upgrading yet? It's been 3 years since he bought his Jet.:D

Roger Chandler
06-02-2010, 4:29 PM
in the winter 2007 issue of American Woodturner Laguna Tools has their 18/47 lathe for $1695, i have not seen this lathe, anybody have one or any of their other lathes????? it looks very interesting and worth considering

I have the Grizzly G0698 version of the 18x47 lathe, and I am very, very pleased with the features [they match up with the PM3520b and is bigger than the Jet 16/42] and the performance has been stellar.

The price is $1295.00 plus delivery. It should be considered, and weighs in at about 500 lbs. I've had mine for 6 months now, and have turned on a 3520b as well as other lathes, and this unit is comparable in features and performance.

Just thought you should have the info for consideration.

John Hart
06-02-2010, 5:12 PM

I'm with Curt too. Fact is...you can turn the itsy-bitsy's on any lathe but you can't do the same with the big stuff. More power is more better.:)

Thomas Canfield
06-02-2010, 8:43 PM
Dave,

I have the Powermatic 3520B and strongly recommend it. That said, I started out with a Jet mini without variable speed, upgraded to the VHS, then a Jet 1236 before making the last jump. I still have the Jet VHS and use it for pens, small bowls, buffing, and small work along with taking it to classes and letting my grandchildren use it when they visit. The bulk and power of the Powermatic is really nice for rough wood and the out of balance. I don't see another upgrade in the future. I have turned 20" and 100# sections. One of these days I am going to try using the drop section and go to a larger diameter for a platter

The biggest complaint against the mini lathes for me was the lack of low speed and also the 10" diameter, and the 500 rpm on the 1236 was again too fast. The new Delta with 1 HP and lower speed, larger diameter, and a add on bed extension might be a consideration for you to decide what type of turning you want to do especially if you think you want to go to something bigger in the future.

Edward Bartimmo
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Good point Bill...not sure why post happened late... When I was younger I simply ran really fast and cause the earth to spin backwards causing time to jump backwards....now that I am a little older I am headed to the garage to pull out my time machine to go back 24 hours so as to provide meaningful input in a timely manner.

Well, I wonder if he is planning on upgrading yet? It's been 3 years since he bought his Jet.:D

Larry Marley
06-03-2010, 1:03 AM
Congratulations David, you made the right choice.

Dave MacArthur
06-03-2010, 1:41 AM
LOL...
Was wondering if anyone would mention that the thread was 3 years old, the prices are now $800-$1000 low, and everyone asking questions has probably bought a lathe ;)

Still a good thread, I love reading about 3520B and 1642 and DVR, as I'm looking for a first lathe myself.

Since the thread is about "what lathe should I buy", and it's 3 years old, I don't suppose there's much risk of usurping, and it's on-topic, so...

I've looked at the Grizzly G0698 lathe, the numbers look decent and price is good. I've read all the issues about Grizzly lathes and speed; then I read some good things about the lathe and thought that maybe they had the speed thing solved. But THEN I noticed that after searching on Google for posts on the G0698, and reading every about two pages, EVERY SINGLE post I could find that said good things about the lathe were all by Roger Chandler. Now please don't take this wrong Roger, no offense intended and I've enjoyed reading your posts--it's got me looking at the Grizzly. However, while your posts are a HUGE help and extremely reasonable, I need more than a data-point of one satisfied customer to consider the lathe. Mostly this is due to my lack of knowledge as a beginner really, I need to rely on a "consensus" to prop up my current novice knowledge. I'd like to hear from at least a few other folks on this lathe--surely Roger isn't the only one who's used one? Although, looking at that low serial number, maybe he is? I'm concerned with the slow-speed on the lathe but also with general quality questions--on paper it looks really nice except for the "standard" low-speed Grizzly concerns I have. And of course future re-sale potential, just in case.

And I like reading your posts too Roger, if you feel inclined, you may be the only guy posting who actually has one! ;) I'm also confused why the G0698 is cheaper than the G0632 (1642 clone?--found it, introductory pricing), and any comments on the big one they have the G0694. Lastly, I've seen you post several times that the G0698 is the same lathe as the Laguna 1847, and made in the same factory as the PM3520 you believe. Both would be encouraging points for the lathe, but where did you get your info on this? I haven't seen anyone else posting, and the companies certainly aren't saying?

Thanks!