PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Sweetgum Sink

Christopher K. Hartley
11-21-2007, 9:56 PM
Some time back I shared a roughout of this sink and now wanted to show it at it's almost complete state. It has not yet been drilled for the drain nor is it sporting it's protective finish but it is quite an eye catcher as is. It is 15 1/2" X 5 1/2" and buffed with NO finish as yet. The worm cuts that are white and many with a black dye that the worm left are very neat in what they add to the character of the piece. The companion sink is processing now. Comments are welcome as always.:)

Bonnie Campbell
11-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow! That's going to be one heck of a pretty sink! :)

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Very impressive Chris! Great form - beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Tom Sherman
11-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Well I don't know Chris, It aint oak but it sure looks good.

Tim A. Mitchell
11-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Awesome looking sink. I can't wait to see the other along with it.

I forget, were they for a double vanity or similar sinks for different baths?

Are you going to follow the Germans form this thread to turn a tub?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=689587#poststop

Ron Jones near Indy
11-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Really nice wood! Like that a lot.

Jon Lanier
11-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Wow, that is nice. I don't think I've seen wood grain like that before.

Bill Wyko
11-22-2007, 12:55 AM
HOLY SMOKES Chris! That's absolutly beautiful! Do you have a pic of the trunk you started with?

Christopher K. Hartley
11-22-2007, 5:46 AM
...I forget, were they for a double vanity or similar sinks for different baths?...
Are you going to follow the Germans form this thread to turn a tub?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=689587#poststopTim, it is a double vanity, actually I'm doing a his and hers and this is the hers. the his is a bit bigger.

HOLY SMOKES Chris! That's absolutly beautiful! Do you have a pic of the trunk you started with?Actually I do somewhere, Ill try to find it and post it here later

Pete Jordan
11-22-2007, 7:15 AM
It turned out beautiful Chris!

You did a great job with wonderful wood!

John Hart
11-22-2007, 7:22 AM
Very cool Chris! Now, I assume that you are actually going to use this. How are you assuring that no water gets to any part of unprotected wood with all the hook-ups and such. And what are the details of the final finish? I'm just curious about wear and tear issues. Phenomenal idea sir!:)

Skip Spaulding
11-22-2007, 7:24 AM
Beautiful! Whats the finish going to be?

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2007, 8:37 AM
That is beautiful Chris. That is a awesome piece of wood. If they are going to be used I would be interested in the finish you use.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-22-2007, 9:04 AM
Lovely piece of work, Chris. Definitely beats plain old everyday porcelain!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-22-2007, 8:44 PM
Well the big question on everyones mind is FINISH. Well we've given that a lot of thought and with help from one of our Creekers as well as the SeaFin Ship'n Shore Sealer People and their SeaFin Super Spar Varnish, I believe no matter which way we go we've got it covered. The epoxy mix rout leaves a bit to be desired for this amateur and I am leaning toward the SeaFin solution. We will drill out the drain hole first and coat it as well before the hardware goes on. It is a real sink with real use and I'll be reporting from time to time.:)

Brian McInturff
11-22-2007, 9:23 PM
Great Idea Chris. Plenty of options out there for finish but most require the ability to spray. A melamine type finish would be perfect. or a couple of the heavy Bartop coatings. Wish it had been my idea. Very Creative.
Brian

John Hart
11-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Cool! I'm glad you'll keep us posted. I'm really curious how this is going to pan out.

robert hainstock
11-23-2007, 6:32 AM
Maybe this the first time "totaly awesome" hits the mark. Add a big WOW! As ro the finish, while I realy like a sprayed epoxie for water resistance, I share your reluctance to elarn how to use it. Marine varnish sounds good to me. :o

Christopher K. Hartley
11-23-2007, 8:13 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.:)

Jim Becker
11-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Outstanding piece...a lot of character, Christopher!

Ed Scolforo
11-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Cool! I can't wait to see it in place.

Glenn Hodges
11-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Making a sink has always interested me, thanks for this post.

Paul Engle
11-23-2007, 1:21 PM
Nice piece Christopher!, the pair will really shine in the bath. I saw one done with epoxy that was thined and sprayed on several coats, it somewhat yellowed over time. I wonder if clear jel-coat like for boats etc would work? No abrasive cleaner for it for sure.

Alex Elias
11-24-2007, 6:08 PM
Trully awesome. Love the whole thing from the wood choice to the form and creative thinking. Don't forget to post the finish item. Thanks for sharing.
Alex

David Fried
11-24-2007, 6:56 PM
How come you didn't make the hole in the bottom while you were turning it?

Karl Card
04-26-2011, 5:49 PM
that is very nice and inline with what I am looking for to put in my bathroom.... now I do not have an expensive bathroom by no means but when I get done it will have charm, and personality.
I think I will start looking for a piece of wood large enough for that and then find a local turner with a big lathe. Unfortunately my lathes only go up to 12 inches in swing.

Salvatore Buscemi
04-26-2011, 6:36 PM
Cool that you unearthed this thread. So it's been 3 1/2 years, how has it held up?

Sal

Michelle Rich
04-26-2011, 8:00 PM
funny, I'd never seen a turned sink until last week, and now in a few days I've seen 2....gorgeous..hopefully when you get it completed you'll share a picture or two with us.

Tim Rinehart
04-27-2011, 8:31 AM
Chris, that is fantastic. I redid our bathroom several years ago and really liked the whole vessel sink designs that have come into the market. Prices for what I wanted shied me away towards conventional approach :(.... I'm guessing you're keeping the entire sink in view, elevated off a base:)...I at least hope so seeing the outside of the bowl.

Yea...me too...can't wait to see finished form in place. Hey...sweetgum...perhaps you could encase some of the little nasty sweetgum balls in resin, and turn them into handles for the faucet...nahhh, too nice a fate for those little worthless things!!:p

Dan Hintz
04-27-2011, 8:39 AM
This thread was started long before I got into turning, so I'm excited to see it brought to the top. This basic basin design is what the SO and I have been looking at (except in glass) for the (not yet built) bathroom in the basement. After seeing this, she may try to convince me to do something similar... and i can't say I would blame her for it.

Nicely done :)