PDA

View Full Version : Grammercy DT saw

Mark Stutz
11-21-2007, 8:34 PM
Two weeks ago I found myself in Manhattan on business, and decided to venture onto the subway for the short trip across the river to Brooklyn. Just a short walk from the subway station you can find Tools for Working Wood. I Felt like a kid in a candy store! Now I rarely purchase anything, let alone a tool, without at least holding it in my hands. I picked up this little saw lying on the bench, made a few cuts in some scrap, and immediately knew it was going to have to have a place in myshop. I finally had a chance to make some cuts, no real DTs, just practice, but PWW didn't rate it in their best new tools for 2007 for nothing. It is smaller than a lot of other saws, and lighter, and is filed 19ppi. The handle is VERY comfortable, with a higher hang than my Adria or W&S. This translates, at least for me to a more comfortable grip, and I find my hand more relaxed, and don't try to choke the handle, which has been a problem for me. It starts almost magically...effortlessly, if the instructions that come with it are followed. Place the saw in full contact with the top surface and with NO downward presssure it cuts on the first stoke. Now I know a light touch is important with all saws, but this starts much better than the Adria, and just slightly better than the W&S. In all fairness to Mike, and Adria, however, it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, since ppi, rake, etc. are not exactly the same I think anyone in the market for a DT saw should put this on their short list.

The first shot is of the saw, the second a size comparison of the three, and the last a comparison of the hang angle vs. the Adria

Jim Becker
11-21-2007, 9:28 PM
Mark, thanks for that! Cute little bugger, too. I'll have to check that out one of these days if I can get some extra time when I'm in NYC for business.

gary Zimmel
11-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Mark

Nice looking saws. How many does that make now?

Marcus Ward
11-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh man! I must have one!! Saws are the devil. I swear.

Scott Brihn
11-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Mark,

Similar experience to mine. On one of my business trips to NYC this summer I ventured into Tools for Working Wood, tried the dovetail saw and ordered one on the spot. I'm not sure they were in full production at the time so I waited a bit for delivery. Well worth the wait. My personal preference is not walnut but the form and function are appropriate. Chris Schwarz has a write up in PW #164 and the saw earned a "Best of 2007" status.

Did you try the 12" Bowsaw?

My plan was to simply buy a straight gouge to form the gutter on Windsor chair seats. I ended up ordering a couple of saws, a corner chisel and the straight gouge. I had to get out of there before my enthusiasm got the best of my credit card.

Now I just need to find more time to practice sawing.

Mark Stutz
11-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Oh man! I must have one!! Saws are the devil. I swear.

That's for sure! I'm almost starting to think that the "saw slpoe" is worse than the palnes!:eek:

Gary, You're not really going to make me count, are you?;):D I'm going to have to make a saw till one of these days.

Scatt, I didn't try the bow saw...already have one, or two...:eek::D

MArk

Marcus Ward
11-22-2007, 12:33 AM
The saw slope is definitely worse than the plane slope. I can vouch for both!!