PDA

View Full Version : Wenge platform bed

Mark Singer
02-14-2004, 12:25 PM
This is a bed I made for our home about 3 years ago. It uses both solid Wenge and wenge veneer. The veneer panels were layed up and trimmed after on the tablesaw. Then the solid edges were added a 32nd proud and trimmed by hand with a Record 78 set 1/16" from the venner....when flush the last 16 th was taken away by sanding and scraper. The corner "bridal" joints allow for the KD (knock down) requirement for moving and setting up. There is a long screw that is hidden from the bottom of the joint up. The plaform is a series of poplar boards spaced for firmness...They rest on a center ash beam that mortices into the front rail. This was one of those pretty simple projects where all went well and it went quickly.;) Oil finish is Daly's Ben Matte. This makes a nice Valentines gift and if your Valentine likes it maybe you can both put it to use!:rolleyes:

Mike Mastin
02-14-2004, 12:46 PM
The bed is a very nice. I appreciate your ability use mixed media in your work too.

The Wenge is really light in color though. It looks more like Wenge's cousin, Panga Panga to me from its color, than Wenge's extremely dark color. Maybe its just me.

Mark Singer
02-14-2004, 1:21 PM
Mike,
Sunlight and UV lightens Wenge!

Tyler Howell
02-14-2004, 1:55 PM
Mike,

You did it again! Too Nice.

Mark Singer
02-14-2004, 2:04 PM
Tyler,
Get me down safe....Thanks!

Rob Bourgeois
02-14-2004, 2:11 PM
Mike,

How long did it take to lighten up. I just finished using some wenge next too some lacewood on a tissue box cover. picture up coming next week... :D

Roger Barga
02-14-2004, 2:14 PM
Mark,

I have seen several pieces of furniture and home fixtures that you've designed and now photos from your house - you do superb work, both in design and construction. If only you lived in Seattle (and I could afford you) ;-) Keep those photos coming...

Roger

Todd Burch
02-14-2004, 2:43 PM
Nice work Mark!

Jim Becker
02-14-2004, 2:49 PM
As usual, the project in question is exquisite...and it really feels right for the room. ('Love that view!) I can really see how you combine your architecture experience with your woodworking design to make a killer combination each and every time. Furniture that fits the environment is so much more enjoyable from a visual standpoint!

Mark Singer
02-14-2004, 6:25 PM
I greatly appreciate all your comments!
Rob, it seems to lighen over time... Mahonony darkens, paduck darkens, walnut lightens and gets amber... I think in a year in a well lit room the process is complete and from day to day it is not that notieable...

Don Abele
02-14-2004, 6:43 PM
Mark, beautiful piece. Question though...the bridal joint and bolt holding it together and allowing knock-down: what is the bolt "biting" into at the top of the joint? I like this design but would be worried about it wigglin' when the bed is...ummm...wigglin' too :D

Be well,

Doc

Mark Singer
02-14-2004, 7:17 PM
Doc,
Here is a detail of the joint...It is a good one to remember for movement and KD applications

Tony Falotico
02-14-2004, 7:41 PM
Mark, you are a uniquely talented man. Your ability to combine function with environment is extraordinary, combined with you artistic flair makes for winner pieces every time. Please keep the pictures coming.

I dropped out of Architecture school after my sophomore year, I just don't have that artistic flair it takes (that you undoubtedly have). I'm better as an engineer where right angles prevail and nothing sticks out of the box!

Again, I enjoy your work, please keep amazing us. Tony

Mark Singer
02-14-2004, 7:50 PM
I started in Engineering and actually got a degree in it...then I moved into architecture and feel as though I found my calling...I feel blessed because many people never seem to find it... We are all different which is the beauty of life

Tony Falotico
02-14-2004, 7:56 PM
I started in Engineering and actually got a degree in it...then I moved into architecture and feel as though I found my calling...I feel blessed because many people never seem to find it... We are all different which is the beauty of life

Beautifully said Mark.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2004, 9:44 PM
WOW, Mark....beautiful, clean, elegant simple lines with attention to detail on the joints and structural integrity! Nice design and craftsmanship!

In the photo, to the right of the bed there is glass there, isn't there?

And by the way......we should celebrate those differences! It's what makes this world interesting!

Robert Ducharme
02-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Very nice. I am going to talk to you when I replace my staircase.

John Miliunas
02-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Mark, you simply never fail to amaze me! Every piece of yours, which I've seen, just appears so timeless and purposeful, yet very unique. As others have said, your mixture of media is so well balanced that it just seems like it *has* to be that way and no other way would work! I think the most extraordinary thing about it is, you don't just envision it. You design it, fit it to suit and THEN, you go and build the things yourself on top of it all! Sheeeeesh.... Sure you couldn't send some of that talent up here to the frozen North? I'd be happy with just a smidgen of it! :cool:

Mark Singer
02-14-2004, 10:28 PM
John,
Will you be my Valentine?

John Miliunas
02-14-2004, 10:47 PM
LOL! Mark, me thinks LOML would be just a tad bit upset about that! :D Seriously, I'd love to be able to pull off even a fraction of the design and execution, which you always seem to come up with. BUT, I *will* keep practicing and *will* keep screwing up and *will* keep learning! But, *YOU* will need to keep posting your fine examples for ideas and inspiration! Deal? :cool:

Mark Singer
02-15-2004, 9:26 AM
John,
I asked LOML and she would not go for the Valantine thing either....they are a bit funny that way:o She likes the bed and occasionally we test it out a bit if you know what I mean;););)
Maybe next year...
Seriously I really appreciate your comments! I can not tell you how simple this project was...it was a matter of careful design and planning and the individual pieces were very easy.
I cut the bridal joints by hand and the long cuts on the bandsaw...I made a sample joint first. The venneering I used the old wax paper method...apply contact cement to both sides ...let it dry ...place wax paper over the lower sheet (MDF) and pull the wax paper piece by piece.
I hope someone is paying attention:eek: ...I haven't seen that method in any books....Then when you run the sheets through the tablesaw. the veneer edge is perfect. At the end you just assemble the components.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Beautiful work Mark! I like the view as well. I had aspirations to be an architect, but never had the location for a good school or the cash to get to one. I sure do enjoy what I do now though and wouldn't trade it. I do still do some drafting from time to time.

I like the bed frame...are the feet brushed aluminum?

Mark Singer
02-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Kelly,
Thank you! The legs I designed and are made from stainless steel by the master, Frank Smart...don't tell him I called him master...it goes to his head and he raises prices and works even slower! I designed the legs so the wenge frame would appear to "float", hence the "gap"

Adan Madrid
02-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Mark,

Very nice design. Thanks for posting these pictures. Have I mentioned the new shop layout is GREAT! Thanks again. Love the bandsaw too!

Mark Singer
02-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Adan,
Have you tried re-sawing?

Chris Padilla
02-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Great work as always, Mark.

My only complaint is that the pics aren't big enough! :)

What is the head/side board made of?

Mark Singer
02-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Chris ,
I will make it simple by add some new pics soon ...not simpler
Mark

Michael Ballent
02-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Beautiful work and design!!! How does it feel to be that far up the craftmanship food chain :D WOW!! perhaps in a couple of decades I can get there :D

-Michael

Mark Singer
02-18-2004, 8:49 PM
Michael,
Thank you...it is really not that difficult of a project...veneering ro solid wood takes some planning..the joinery is easy....I think a careful design is the most important single element .

Chris,
Here are a few more pics...