PDA

View Full Version : Smoker Incense Burner

Tim A. Mitchell
11-21-2007, 6:02 PM
Well, the other night I decided to pull a piece of firewood and turn it down for practice. Previously, I had mindlessly stacked what I thought was all Oak, and was just looking for a piece with little cracking. This piece I grabbed was obviously not Oak, so I decided to make something out of it.

My grandfather used to make these wooden smokers, so I thought now was a good time to give it a try. It still needs some paint, finish, and other embellishments such as hair and feet, but this is all the turning work (unless I add some theme type stuff to it).

I was pleased with the turning, although I need to get better at the assembly. I tried to keep it simple for my first time (just to see if I could do it). I was very happy I could get the left/right arms and legs essentially the same. I even used my skew. All things were done on the lathe, with the exception of the hole for the mouth and the copper wire for the pipe. I will be happy to post a pic when it is finished off.

Any critiques or comments are welcome.

David Fried
11-21-2007, 8:04 PM
That is very cool! I think Grandpa would be proud. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it!

John Hart
11-21-2007, 8:05 PM
Tim....That is WONDERFUL!!! What a delightful project.:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-21-2007, 9:30 PM
Tim, that is adorable!

Seriously---I grew up in Princeton, WV. In nearby Athens, at Pipestem State Park, there were several artisans who worked at the gift shop there. Dad, Grandpa, and a gentleman who made dulcimers were among the ones I recognized at a glance (I never knew the dulcimer gentleman's name). Your smoker reminds me of that level of craftsmanship---simple, elegant, rustic. A beauty to behold. Something that Dad would make for the kids at Christmas, and for which a California aristocrat would pay kilobucks.

I'm in awe!

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow! That pretty much sums it up! If possible - I would sure like to see a picture of the finished smoker! Very nice work Tim!

Skip Spaulding
11-22-2007, 7:39 AM
Wonderful piece, looks like something that will be cherished for generations. Kind of like the "nut crackers". Looking forward to seeing the finished smoker.

Tim A. Mitchell
11-22-2007, 8:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I like it more and more as I see it on its own, and not try and compare to my grandfather's. I think I will leave this one a "plain" man, without a lot of decor on him. I will definately post the finished piece.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-23-2007, 8:49 AM
Wonderful and memorable all rolled up into one. I would offer one small piece of advice though. Scrap the fireplace and turn the rest of that fire wood. Great Job!!:)

Ben Gastfriend
11-23-2007, 4:59 PM
That's nice wood... you mean you were going to burn that?

Roy Hatch
11-23-2007, 5:12 PM
Tim, your pictures brought a smile to my face. And they add another reason why my shop needs a lathe.

Roy

Paul Engle
11-23-2007, 7:40 PM
Tim, ya done good :D, and Roy ... get it on man!