PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023 question

Lee Koepke
11-21-2007, 5:19 PM
Hello All.

My first post here. Looked around a bit and hopefully ya'll can help a bit

I am perched on the moment of ordering a Grizzly 1023SL for my basement tinkering. Spent the last several years using a 1960s Rockwell cabinet saw I fixed up. It had another arbor related issue, and I think I am ready to upgrade a bit.

I really have two questions, if anyone can help out....

1. Any comments on that particular saw?

2. I have a 50" Beismeyer fence, and was wondering if the Shop Fox that comes with the Grizzly would work with the Beis rail system? The stock fence appears to be a bit smaller on the saw I was ordering.

Well, I thank you for the forum.

scott spencer
11-21-2007, 5:47 PM
Hello All.

I really have two questions, if anyone can help out....

1. Any comments on that particular saw?

2. I have a 50" Beismeyer fence, and was wondering if the Shop Fox that comes with the Grizzly would work with the Beis rail system? The stock fence appears to be a bit smaller on the saw I was ordering.

Hi Lee...welcome to SMC!

1. The 1023SL is popular and a well proven value here and on many forums around the web...current price is excellent IMO.

2. The two fences are interchangeable AFAIK. The stock rails on the 1023SL only give 26" rip capacity.

Enjoy your new saw!

Lee Koepke
11-21-2007, 6:02 PM
Thanks.

Its coming at a good time, I am currently restructuring my basment "shop" area and might as well include a new centerpiece.

Don Morris
11-21-2007, 7:01 PM
I've got a 1023SL, upgraded from a Delta contractors saw, and am extremely happy with it. After all it's really a Unisaw in disguise...at least to some extent, design-wise. I bought a Bies anti-kickback spreader and it fit on without any modification. The fence works well as far as I'm concerned and although thought about a Bies at the beginning after using the stock fence, have long ago stopped thinking about a Bies.

Lee Koepke
11-21-2007, 7:17 PM
I've got a 1023SL, upgraded from a Delta contractors saw, and am extremely happy with it. After all it's really a Unisaw in disguise...at least to some extent, design-wise. I bought a Bies anti-kickback spreader and it fit on without any modification. The fence works well as far as I'm concerned and although thought about a Bies at the beginning after using the stock fence, have long ago stopped thinking about a Bies.
i liked the fence portion of the shop fox with the T tracks. i figure i could use my existing rails to extend my rip capacity.

my wifey gave me the rolling eyes ( which i naturally took as a sign of approval ) :D

Justin Bukoski
11-21-2007, 8:24 PM
Great saw and the Bies is a good upgrade and will work fine. You may need to drill a hole or two but no bid deal.

Dick Parr
11-21-2007, 8:29 PM
I love my 1023

Jack Tanner
11-21-2007, 8:50 PM
I love my 1023 to. The only thing I did to modify it was to change the 4" dust port over to a 6", works a lot better on dust pickup. Jack

Ken Deckelman
11-21-2007, 9:13 PM
Another happy 1023 owner here:D

Sue Wise
11-21-2007, 9:31 PM
I bought a used 1023L and I am happy with it. I upgraded splitter and guard with Shark guard. Now I am very happy.

Norman Pyles
11-21-2007, 9:45 PM
Welcome, I am new here also, great place. I have never heard any bad comments on the 1023. I have never used one but I have seen one in person and it was a great looking saw, and as Scott said great price. Is that 1960's Rockwell cabinet saw you have a Unisaw. If so lot's of folks looking for those saws.

Bill Bryant
11-21-2007, 10:03 PM
When you raise and lower the saw blade on a 1023, does the blade stay in the same plane?

Rob Blaustein
11-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Excellent saw--I'm very happy with mine. Replaced splitter with a Bies one and added an overarm guard (Excallibur). Nice review of the saw here (http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/g1023s.htm).

Not sure I know the answer to Bill's question, but I'll try to check over next few days with a dial indicator.

Clint Winterhalter
11-22-2007, 12:18 AM
I bought a used 1023L and I am happy with it. I upgraded splitter and guard with Shark guard. Now I am very happy.

The 1023 with a shark guard is fantastic! Money well spent..

Best of Luck
Clint

Lee Koepke
11-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Welcome, I am new here also, great place. I have never heard any bad comments on the 1023. I have never used one but I have seen one in person and it was a great looking saw, and as Scott said great price. Is that 1960's Rockwell cabinet saw you have a Unisaw. If so lot's of folks looking for those saws.
Thanks for all the great replies.

My old saw is ( to the best of my research ) is a 34-425 contractors hangin motor type. It was a proverbial rusty boat anchor that someone set out by the road. 3 months of first-time cleaning up yielded a pretty darn good saw. I had something shear off last weekend, its arbor related I am sure .. but I would like to tear it down again and see if I can fix it up. one more time. I dont know if I ever would sell it, but I would like some other stationaries .....

Thanks again.

Chris Barnett
11-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Bought the G1023 SLW which has more surface space to the right, which also doubles as a platform for a router. Have unpacked mine, operated but have not yet cut a thing ... just too purdy to get dirty :D. Really have no projects now and many other issues to solve. If I had to do over, would probably go with the Shop Fox since I also bought the Promax and don't need both. Why, so I could have all the colors....green BS, white TS, babydoo lathe...etc.

Lee Koepke
11-28-2007, 9:37 AM
Well, I did it.

I just ordered the Grizzly. Pretty excited. I have to get the room ready for it ( bring my 220 over to it ) and I wanted to stain the floor before it gets here.

Gotta have a pretty new room for a pretty new machine !!!!

Thanks for everyones help. I really like this site. Its inspiring

Larry Browning
11-28-2007, 1:50 PM
Well, I did it.

I just ordered the Grizzly. Pretty excited. I have to get the room ready for it ( bring my 220 over to it ) and I wanted to stain the floor before it gets here.

Gotta have a pretty new room for a pretty new machine !!!!

Thanks for everyones help. I really like this site. Its inspiring

Lee,
One thing that you may not be aware of is that the saw does NOT come with an electrical plug on the end of the power cord. You need to provide that yourself. So you should have that on hand when the saw arrives.

Lee Koepke
11-28-2007, 7:52 PM
Lee,
One thing that you may not be aware of is that the saw does NOT come with an electrical plug on the end of the power cord. You need to provide that yourself. So you should have that on hand when the saw arrives.
Thanks to this forum, I found that out. The previous house owner had a 220V for his compressor, I will get the male version to match, and relocate the plug.

Thanks for the reminder. Its really my first major tool purchase.

Don Dorn
11-28-2007, 7:57 PM
Mine is now three years old and I love it. I wanted at least a 30" rip capacity but didn't really have the room for 52 rails, so I made a modification. Since it's a left tilt saw, I couldn't see ever putting the fence on the left side of the blade, therefore, I shifted the rails that came with it about 7" to the right and it works perfectly. I did have to cut out new areas for the miter slots, but it's been this way for almost the full three years I've owned it and it was a great mod.