PDA

View Full Version : Cake Toppers

Joe Pelonio
11-21-2007, 10:44 AM
With my daughter planning her wedding for next fall, we discovered that a lot of bakers are now using personalized acrylic toppers instead of the traditional bride and groom statues. This may be a good opportunity for people to contact their local bakeries to offer their services. By coincidence I received an order to make custom acrylic knife holders for one in our area, that my daughter passed on because of their prices, and in the course of doing the job made sure they knew I could make the toppers too.

Do a google search on "acrylic cake toppers" and you will see what people are doing. They seem to be getting $25 for most of them, not much for one or two but nice if you get all the orders for a bakery.

Edit: Just for fun, I think I'll do one for our Thanksgiving desert.

Mike Null
11-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Joe

I did a little search and confirmed what you say. This looks like a great idea.

But I wouldn't limit myself to bakeries. There are many gift shops which sell this kind of merchandise including Hallmark stores.

Keith Outten
11-21-2007, 2:39 PM
I did a couple of these for Jackie's niece's weeding awhile back. This is the only picture I can find.
I cut long points on the bottom of the letter to insert in the cake, the topper was cut from acrylic mirror.

Alan Young
11-21-2007, 9:03 PM
Keith

I race a sail boat and at first glance I thougt it looked like a couple of sailboats, then I blew it up and saw it was a "M". Looks great though.

Alan

Keith Outten
11-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Alan,

I can see the resemblance to sail boats now that you mention it :)

James Aldrich
11-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Does it take a special acrylic for these cake toppers, or will standard cast and extruded work. I know some materials are not rated to come in direct contact with food products.
Jim

Joe Pelonio
11-22-2007, 2:51 PM
Standard, but should be cleaned with dish soap and water to get any residue off.

Ray Mighells
11-22-2007, 4:08 PM
Hey Alan; where in Iowa do you race a sailboat??

Alan Young
11-22-2007, 9:44 PM
Ray

We have a lake just north of Des Moines called Saylorville. Not a supper big lake but big enough to have fun on. We have a 22' Capri. I think I will make a sailboat cake topper and take it to one of the club events.

Alan

Bill Cunningham
11-22-2007, 10:15 PM
I had a lady ask me to do a cake topper for her daughter.. nothing special she said, I only want it to be about 4" x 6" by 2" thick!!! I told her it would probably sink to the bottom of the cake..

Brian Conklin
11-23-2007, 1:27 PM
a cutout of bride and groom and lasering pictures of the couple...

Ricky Gore
02-11-2008, 9:42 PM
Keith,
Or anyone else who knows. How long should the points going into the cake be?
Could you share the file with the M, I can get a better idea from that.

Thanks,
Ricky

Joe Pelonio
02-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I made one for a peach pie at Thanksgiving, and made the "points" 1.5" long and it worked great.

Keith Outten
02-12-2008, 7:27 AM
Keith,
Or anyone else who knows. How long should the points going into the cake be?
Could you share the file with the M, I can get a better idea from that.

Thanks,
Ricky

Ricky,

The file is on my old computer, I will try to retrieve it tonight and post it here.

Dean Flannery
02-12-2008, 5:13 PM
Does anyone know where to get large premade acrylic or glass hearts wholesale ? Maybe 4" to 6" tall.

Thanks,
Dean