PDA

View Full Version : Freud Super Dado vs Freud Dial-A-Width

Rick Cicciarelli
11-21-2007, 9:22 AM
Opinions on the Freud Super Dado ($199) vs the Freud Dial-A-Width ($249). One significantly better than the other. I know tons of folks love the Super Dado and I've read top reviews on it. Anyone have both or have tried both? How does the Dial-A-Width compare?

Gary Keedwell
11-21-2007, 9:45 AM
I like the stacked dado because I had a "worbler" years ago and didn't like it. That being said, maybe their making them better now a days. Issues to keep in mind are flatness of bottom cut and resharpening.

Gary

David Duke
11-21-2007, 9:46 AM
Rick,
I haven't used the Super Dado but I can tell you that the Dial-a-Width is a fantastic tool. It leaves a flat bottom and clean edges plus the ease of setting width without using shims was the deciding factor when I purchased mine. From all the reviews I have seen the cut/finish is identical between the two; you will just need to decide if the dial adjustment is worth an extra 50 bucks.......for me it was/is.

David Duke
11-21-2007, 9:47 AM
I like the stacked dado because I had a "worbler" years ago and didn't like it. That being said, maybe their making them better now a days. Issues to keep in mind are flatness of bottom cut and resharpening.

Gary

Gary, the Dial-a Width isn't a wobber it is a stack blade with the outer blade adjustable with the inner hub.

Gary Keedwell
11-21-2007, 9:49 AM
Gary, the Dial-a Width isn't a wobber it is a stack blade with the outer blade adjustable with the inner hub.
David...does it have re sharpening capabilities?

scott spencer
11-21-2007, 9:50 AM
I'm not positive, but I think both sets incorporate exactly the same configuration, so performance should be the same. The SD608 is more convenient to adjust, however, it also takes up more room on the arbor. Most saws less than a 3hp cabinet saw won't accept the full stack.

Randal Stevenson
11-21-2007, 9:53 AM
From what I have read (no first hand knowledge), the Freud, dial a width dado set, has problems on saws that can only use a 6" blade. Seems the biggest problem I read was trying to slip it on the arbor (clearance).

David Duke
11-21-2007, 10:05 AM
David...does it have re sharpening capabilities?

Yep......
........to meet the 10 character mininium

Jim Becker
11-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm not positive, but I think both sets incorporate exactly the same configuration, so performance should be the same. The SD608 is more convenient to adjust, however, it also takes up more room on the arbor. Most saws less than a 3hp cabinet saw won't accept the full stack.

I agree with this; I don't think you'll see any quality differences as they are based on the same kind of setup. The only differentiator should be the adjustability without shims for the dial version.

Dave Falkenstein
11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Worbler? Wobber? Maybe a wobbler???

Grant Morris
11-21-2007, 11:21 AM
I stumbled across this Delta dado yesterday. It looks great and its almost half the price of the Freud. I was impressed by how many teeth the outside and chipper blades have. Even without having seen it actually work I would buy it...

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-35-7670-8-Inch-Stacked-Dado/dp/B000O7YJAQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1195661890&sr=8-1

Gary Keedwell
11-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Worbler? Wobber? Maybe a wobbler???
Isn't it nice that Dave proof reads our posts? :)

I think every site needs one;) http://www.free-animations.co.uk/objects/images/object_84.gifGary :~)

Jim McCarty
11-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I have the Dial-A-Width and it gives perfectly flat bottom dados and is chip free. The ease of adjustability was the deciding factor for me.

Dick Bringhurst
11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but please just one. Dick B.

Dave Falkenstein
11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Isn't it nice that Dave proof reads our posts? :)I think every site needs one;) Gary :~)

I forgot to include the smiley face. Ooops. :):):):)

Don't take it seriously, Gary.

Peepl that dont spel rite mak it hord to reed stuf.

Gary Keedwell
11-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I forgot to include the smiley face. Ooops. :):):):)

Don't take it seriously, Gary.

Peepl that dont spel rite mak it hord to reed stuf.
;) It was all in good fun Dave....Have a nice Thanksgiving.

http://www.free-animations.co.uk/holidays/thanksgiving/images/thanksgiving_5.gifGary

scott spencer
11-21-2007, 12:30 PM
I stumbled across this Delta dado yesterday. It looks great and its almost half the price of the Freud. I was impressed by how many teeth the outside and chipper blades have. Even without having seen it actually work I would buy it...

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-35-7670-8-Inch-Stacked-Dado/dp/B000O7YJAQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1195661890&sr=8-1

Grant - That's the same as the DeWalt DW7670 (http://www.epinions.com/review/DeWALT_8_Stacked_Dado_Set_DW7670/content_314538299012), which is an excellent set for the price IME. I suspect the higher end sets at $75-$150 more, like the Forrest, Freud 508/608, Ridge Carbide, Infinity, CMT, or Systimatic may have a slight edge but the 7670 is alot of bang for the buck. I just recently replaced my DW7670 set with a Systimatic Superfine set due to a killer deal, but I miss some things about the DW set already.

Scott Whiting
11-21-2007, 2:04 PM
The two dados are exactly the same in performance. You are paying more up front not to have to deal with shims. You still have to have the correct chippers in place. Sharpening requires the sharpener to have a spare 5/8" bore adapter to install in place of the dial assembly. Seeing as none of my commercial accounts as yet has purchased a 608 I will wait until one comes in for sharpening and then it will sit here while I, as a non Freud dealer, try to figure out how to get one in here.

Dave Falkenstein
11-21-2007, 2:05 PM
;) It was all in good fun Dave....Have a nice Thanksgiving. Gary

Thanks. U 2.

Charles McCracken
11-21-2007, 2:15 PM
Sharpening requires the sharpener to have a spare 5/8" bore adapter to install in place of the dial assembly.

The one adapter included with the set can be interchanged between both outside saws. It's obviously not as convenient for the sharpener as having an extra but I haven't heard any complaints so far.