PDA

View Full Version : Sharpener 's : Scheppach ($118) VS. Jet ($167)

Grant Vanbokklen
11-21-2007, 8:59 AM
Amazon is having what seems to be good pricing on both. Anyone care to share thought on the two? I am very tempted to get a Jet at the above price.

Scott Coffelt
11-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I bought the Jet this week for more, so I call them and they are suppose to credit the difference. What a deal on the Jet.

Jim Fox
11-21-2007, 10:27 AM
The Jet didn't seemed to be liked all that much in the reviews. How do people like it on here or other WW forums?

I'd be almost tempted to get the Scheppach just on cost right now. With money being a little tight. I do have 4 sets of chisels to sharpen.

Chuck Burns
11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info on the price reduction on the Jet. I had ordered one on Monday and just called and they just credited me with the difference of 18 or so dollars.

As to which one to buy I chose the Jet because of several reasons. First was Tom Hintz' review of the Jet. He said he has owned a Tormek for several years and it sounds like he feels, irregardless of price, the Jet is as good as the Tormek and, in some ways, an improvement. He especially liked the grinding wheel material. Another reason is Jets 5 year warranty. I wasn't considering the Tormek as I can't justify the cost but I did think the larger grinding wheel that the Tormek and Jet share over the Scheppach was a plus.

At any rate all three of the machines are more than I need but at the Amazon price I decided to pull the trigger. I'll probably get more use out of it than I anticipate.

Michael Hammers
11-21-2007, 1:01 PM
That price is too good. I am off right now to order the Jet. FWIW, like the song says, the wheels on the bus go round and round.....
I am sure the Tormek is awesome.... but its a sharpener..I have seen the fit and finish on the Jet and personally cannot justify the Tormek cost.

Kelly Leblond
11-21-2007, 1:20 PM
Too good a deal not to give it a try! Thanks for the heads-up on pricing, will be here Monday...Prime rocks!

Chuck Burns
11-21-2007, 2:06 PM
Kelly,

Amen that Amazon Prime rocks. It's the best 75 bucks I've ever spent. I live, not in the boonies (my wife would disagree with that as far as shopping goes), but in a town of 45k and if HD or Lowes doesn't carry it I'm screwed. Getting everything I order, even if it is a 4.95 item, 2nd day for free is awesome.

I recently needed to upgrade my cordless tools and found the Milwaukee V28 4 tool set on amazon for 528 (cheapest I could find it locally was 695). An extra 3.99 and I had it next day so I could use it on my weekend project.

A lot of people don't realize it but you can sign up three additional "relatives" on your Prime account so they get the same shipping deal.

Gary Ratajczak
11-21-2007, 3:08 PM
Sign me up!!

:)

William Nimmo
11-21-2007, 3:43 PM
I was just about to purchase this item from a store 30 miles away for $299. plus tax. WOW
what a difference $167. no tax free shipping.
Gotta love amazon, but the local guys gotta be hurtin.
Thanks for the heads up

Jerry Olexa
11-21-2007, 5:43 PM
Both great prices...but on a price/value basis, which is the better value? Bang for buck? In your opinions? Thanks

Chris Zenda
11-21-2007, 5:56 PM
I also ordered one and its due to arrive today:D

Alan Trout
11-21-2007, 7:05 PM
I could not take it any longer. I have wanted a wet sharpener for a while but did not want to spend the money. I purchased the diamond dresser and 3 other jigs plus all other discounts including appling for a the credit card and now I am in it for $230.

I went to one of the local stores today and messed a bit with both the Tormek and the Jet. For what we got the Jet for there is no way I would not buy it. By the way this ended up being my X-Mas present according the the wonderful wife. She is such a wonderful woman to put up with the likes of me.

All I have to say is this was one smoking deal.:D

Good Luck

Alan

Grant Vanbokklen
11-21-2007, 7:38 PM
Are attachments interchangeable between ALL the sharpeners; Scheppach, Tormek, and Jet.

I'd like to know from anyone with the Jet knife jigs. What is the shortest knife that the larger Jet knife jig can sharpen?

Chris Zenda
11-21-2007, 8:10 PM
Just received my Jet Sharpener (stand included which I wasn't aware of)and sharpened a couple chisels to a razor edge !!! Everthing is true and could not find a single quality issue or fault as of yet. This truly is a tremendous buy from Amazon. :)

Grant Vanbokklen
11-21-2007, 10:00 PM
OK...pulled the trigger on the Jet over the Scheppach.

Why? Larger wheel, accepts T-brand planer jig, stone grader, drawer base.
And because the majority here seem to be going with the Jet.

(curious those of you who said here they could not pass "it" up, which one you went with).

And of course $230 less than a T.

Thanks everyone for the input.

And thanks Chuck for mentioning the "Tom Hintz review" which I Googled.

Dave Malen
11-21-2007, 10:37 PM
This forum is costing me money. I saw this thread and couldn't resist. I bought the jet. Signed up for the amazon credit card and got the whole thing for 137.

Dave

Chris Zenda
11-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Now we have to hope that Jet will make a festool domino copy.:p

Chuck Burns
11-22-2007, 3:40 AM
Gary,
Already have a couple of "uncles" signed up. Good try though.

Jerry,
I went for the Jet because it's a name I know. I recently got a Jet 18" 3HP band saw and love it. And as I left work today I chatted with one of our contract welders and as I did I noticed we were standing beside the biggest metal band saw I've ever seen (about 3 ft by 6 ft footprint and about 4 ft tall). I asked him about it and he said it got used (and abused) alot and worked great. He's been there for about 5 years and other than blade replacements it's needed no repairs. I like the Jets 5 yr warranty too. And as I said befor Tom Hints review on newwoodworker.com was extrememly favorable.

As to which unit Amazon is shipping I noticed somewhere that the K at the end of the part number referred to the kit version that came with the base. I was hoping that was what they were shipping. Thats all the better as they sell the base for around 33 bucks and I saw it someplace else for 75-80.

All you who are sitting onthe fence need to pll the trigger. One of these the price is going to jump.

Frank Hagan
11-22-2007, 2:45 PM
Amen that Amazon Prime rocks. It's the best 75 bucks I've ever spent.

The Jet deal is certainly tempting ... but my order with them, placed on Nov. 15, for two books and a CD with "Free Super Saver Shipping" "may not arrive" until after December 26. And I can't cancel the order.

Unless you go with Amazon Prime, they evidently put you at the back of a very long line. I'm going back to buying what I can locally, and save Amazon.com for those things I don't mind waiting 45 days for!

Chris Zenda
11-22-2007, 2:51 PM
I went with standard free shipping and received my jet in under three days from the time I placed the order.

Grant Vanbokklen
11-22-2007, 3:40 PM
The Jet deal is certainly tempting ... but my order with them, placed on Nov. 15, for two books and a CD with "Free Super Saver Shipping" "may not arrive" until after December 26. And I can't cancel the order.

Your talking about books and a CD right? Which must be on back order.

I ordered the Jet Sharpener yesterday and it is to arrive on the 28th of November with the free super saver shipping.

Frank Hagan
11-23-2007, 1:26 AM
Your talking about books and a CD right? Which must be on back order.

I ordered the Jet Sharpener yesterday and it is to arrive on the 28th of November with the free super saver shipping.

That gives me hope that they may just be quoting longer lead times and actually supplying stuff faster. I haven't run into this with them before. I have had things on back order, but then they say its on back order (all of this is supposedly in stock, according to their site when I bought them).

I did wait two weeks for my planer when I bought it from them, but I thought that was acceptable for free shipping. A week like you received is even better.

Mike Heidrick
11-23-2007, 2:52 AM
I have the Jet sharpener and it works great for my hobby use. I have used it on quite a few bench chisels and a few straight blade knives.

Amazon is nortorious for publishing LONG ship times and then filling them much faster. Sometime I think it just gives them the option of shipping later if needed due to so many orders being placed for a particular item.

Grant Vanbokklen
11-23-2007, 10:09 AM
It looks like we might be able to also get a $25 gift card for the Jet Sharpener purchase :D

http://content.jettools.com/promotions/2007_04_Jet_Woodworking.pdf

I'd like to put that toward some more clamps.

And for those that buy from today on, Nov 23rd, I think you can actually get a $25 rebate!

Frank Hagan
11-23-2007, 2:20 PM
I have the Jet sharpener and it works great for my hobby use. I have used it on quite a few bench chisels and a few straight blade knives.

Amazon is nortorious for publishing LONG ship times and then filling them much faster. Sometime I think it just gives them the option of shipping later if needed due to so many orders being placed for a particular item.

I received an email this morning that they shipped my order today, and it should arrive around the 28th. That's about 3 weeks delivery from the time I ordered it, which is acceptable for free shipping, I guess.

Gary Herrmann
11-23-2007, 2:36 PM
$167 for the Jet. Hmmm. That may be too good to pass up. I've been thinking of the Tormek for awhile, but this would be half the price and I can't believe the Tormek is twice as good...

Grant Vanbokklen
11-23-2007, 2:46 PM
If you buy a Jet Slow Speed Wet Sharpener today from Amazon at $167 (free shipping) you can also get an additional $25 dollar rebate.

email sent out today:
http://x.jngo1.net/w.z?4DF4F971932B413194D4FA02677E4975
you can follow the links on this page and have this email sent to you by filling in a page

Rebate form for above: http://content.jettools.com/landings/jet%20bonus%20days.pdf

http://toolrebates.com/Jet_Rebates.html

Flyer:
http://content.jettools.com/promotions/2007_04_Jet_Woodworking.pdf
This special offer applies to woodworking products found in the 2007 Fall Woodworking Sales Event Flyer

Now for you savvy deal buyers... I may be reaching on this one though. Today I printed out my amazon invoice that says "order placed: November 21, 2007". But further down near the description is says "Shipped on November 23, 2007"

So would I be able to claim the $25 rebate based on the fact that the item shipped on the 23rd and my CC gets billed on the 23rd?

They don't want photocopied receipts. Amazon does not provide a non-photocopy receipt. You have to print it yourself, which is basically a photocopy, yes?

dan thomas
11-23-2007, 4:41 PM
I just tried to purchase the jet sharpener I had in my cart all day, and wouldn't-ya- know it, the sale ended. Now I'm going to give some thought to purchasing the Scheppach. Jet is $399 now.

Jim Fox
11-23-2007, 4:59 PM
Still in mine for $167, and I added another for $167.

Grant Vanbokklen
11-23-2007, 5:04 PM
I just tried to purchase the jet sharpener I had in my cart all day, and wouldn't-ya- know it, the sale ended. Now I'm going to give some thought to purchasing the Scheppach. Jet is $399 now.

Yep...$399 now here too. I have one in my cart that says $167. But the prices has now changed in the last couple of hours. If I look at the top of my cart page it has the important message of no longer available.

Michael Hammers
11-23-2007, 5:08 PM
I just ordered mine 3:57pm ct and they still had the sale.

Michael Hammers
11-23-2007, 5:18 PM
Post Edit, Amazon now shows only two left as of 4:18ct.

Larry Heflin
11-23-2007, 5:29 PM
I must have made it just under the wire! I've been thinking about this deal for a while. Stayed up late last night researching on the web and took the plunge just before 3:00 am on the Jet and some accessories. Today I went over to Woodcraft where they have the Jet and Tormek side by side. I jiggled some parts, made some unscientific comparisons, and stared for a good amount of time. Woodcraft has the Jet for 299 and its accessories at their full prices also. If Woodcraft could have come close, I probably would have bought locally and added this purchase to the rest of the small fortune I've spent there. As it is, with Amazon I'm out 342 including the accessories I wanted.

If I had gone the Tormek route with the same accessories I would probably have been in it for close to 800. That "weeping once" would have lasted a long time. At this point I don't think I made a mistake, and I am only experiencing some intermittent light sobbing. If the Jet performs as I think it will, then those of us who went for it probably got a heck of a deal and have realized some significant savings.

Larry

Grant Vanbokklen
11-23-2007, 5:53 PM
Well for those that did not go with the Jet there is still the Scheppach @ $118.

One of the main things that made me not go with the Scheppach was that Amazon did not have any Scheppach jigs to go with it.

But if the Jigs for the Jet or Tormek fit the Scheppach, the Scheppach is still probably a great deal too. Heck it is just a slow speed motor, grind stone, and jig rest. And yes the Tormek might be a just bit better than the two, but they are extreeeemely overpriced.

Edit: Also check your Gold Box, because the Scheppach is showing up at $112 in mine.

Chuck Burns
11-23-2007, 9:40 PM
Frank,
You'll most likely get the sharpener sooner. Before I had Prime I used to get that message when I ordered multiple things; some of which wouldn't ship for several weeks. Though they don't have to they will usually break up the order and ship them separately.

If I were you I'd go online and request a callback phone call from them. The callback is almost instantaneous and I'll bet they'll take care of you. If not move up the food chain. I've found them to be most responsive.

I had ordered a Forrest WW II thin kerf blade for my Craftsman Contractors saw. After I got it I decided to upgrade and bought a SawStop. Even though I had the blade for 2 weeks past 30 days they agreed to let me return it for a refund (it was unopened). Try them - in my experience they are extremely responsive. If UPS screws up and something comes a day later then it should they will issue a partial credit.

Joe Cipriano
11-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Looks like the on-sale Jet is already history. The only Jet Amazon has listed is $399...

http://www.amazon.com/708015PK-JSSG-10-Slow-Speed-Sharpener/dp/B000LE22EM/ref=pd_rhf_p_2

I'll probably order the Scheppach - they still have those available for $118...

Maybe I just couldn't find the Jet - if someone could post a link, it'd be appreciaed.