PDA

View Full Version : What to put on Santa's list

Doug M Jones
11-21-2007, 8:02 AM
I'm a beginner with a Jet mini with the extension and some basic tools. (a 1" roughing gouge, 5/8" bowl gouge, 1" Skew, also have a basic cheap starter set). I also just got the wolverine system and the beall buffs.

LOML is asking for me to update the wishlist so she and the kids can get me tools for Christmas.

What tool do you have that you can't live without. What are your recommendations.

Again thanks to all,

Doug

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-21-2007, 9:46 AM
Doug---

Got a chuck yet? After I got my little Wilton, that was the first accessory I purchased (well, that and a new live center).

Good luck, and happy spinning!

Kevin McPeek
11-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I think there are a lot of us in the same boat about now.
I'd second a chuck if you don't have one. I'd not get a direct thread chuck so when you upgrade lathes you can just get a new insert to use it on the bigger lathe.
It really depends on the budget though and what you are wanting to turn. Hollowing tools or system, texturing/spiraling tool, tool rest(s), power sanding drill, Jacobs chuck for the tailstock, Craft Supplies gift certificate are all solid gifts.
Chainsaw and bandsaw are must haves for me but they are a little strange to get under the tree, Christmas tree anyway.

Frank Kobilsek
11-21-2007, 3:01 PM
Doug

My Dad is in about your spot. He needs a thin parting tool.

You might think about what books or videos you would like.

She might sign you up for AAW or give you a subscription to Woodturning Design Magazine.

Merry Christmas

Frank

Brodie Brickey
11-21-2007, 10:11 PM
I'd recommend a chuck also. I'd also recommend joining the AAW. The magazine alone is worth the membership price.

Other than those, it really depends on what you want to turn.

Richard Madison
11-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Might consider a good DVD on learning to use the skew. And maybe I could borrow it from you later.

John Hart
11-22-2007, 5:53 AM
Steady Rest. Invaluable ;)