PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my new "used" JET cabinet saw setup

Dave Cohen
11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
here are the pics (any hints on how to get links to photos to show up inline?, I tried but they always cam up as blank red "X"s):

I finally got the "new" used saw setup, the mobile base constructed and an under table cabinet built (also had to replace the bearings on the Bosch router, and unwarp the extension table):

And built my first project, a cutting board (paduk, birds-eye maple, mahogany etc.) for my niece with it (thats my daughter holding the board):

so I sold my old contractor's saw for $225 on craigslist and bought the new one above from craigslist a week later for $850 (total net outlay of $625):

Tyler Purcell
11-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Pics aren't shwoing up for me. Maybe attach them in the post?

Bob Genovesi
11-21-2007, 7:04 AM
Congrats on the purchase but all I see is; "2ip.com"

Charles Wiggins
11-21-2007, 1:12 PM
Nice upgrade. Someone else to be jealous of!

Norman Pyles
11-21-2007, 3:31 PM
Pic's showed up for me. Great looking saw.

Jim Becker
11-21-2007, 4:19 PM
The pictures came up fine on the original post but rather then linking, please consider uploading them to SMC so they stay with the thread, even if your remote source goes away in the future...as frequently happens. There is a new tutorial thread stickied at the top of the Forum Technical Support forum on this topic.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jude Tuliszewski
11-21-2007, 4:49 PM
Nice set up, and the drawers make for better use of the space. I also have a Jet cabinet saw (older blue color) and continue to be very pleased with it. I have not had any problems with mine. Also nice job on the cutting board.

Dave Malen
11-21-2007, 7:53 PM
Dave,
I also have a jet (the old blue variety) and it still works great after ten years. BTW what kind of guard is that?

Enjoy your new old saw
Dave

glenn bradley
11-21-2007, 8:49 PM
Excellent deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy that.

Dave Cohen
11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Its a shark guard from Lee Styron which easily ported from my old contractor's saw to the new saw.

Craig D Peltier
11-21-2007, 11:01 PM
I see that theres a mobile base like on my jet. I was hoping to build storage under but wanted the ability to move it out of way to get wood in or trailer or cleaning etc. The way you have it might not be bad to move it with it.Nice setup. Why two dustports hooked up?

Dave Cohen
11-23-2007, 9:06 AM
Hi Craig,

I used a rockler mobile base and 1 1/2 square steel tubing all bolted together to build a base that extends out under the extension table (thanks to some advice from another SMCer). I built the cabinet to sit on top of the steel tubing so that it moves with the saw.

As for two dust ports, I have one for the cabinet, and one for the overarm guard. But I'm finding I get max suction by just using the overarm guard while sawiing (gating off the cabinet one). And then periodically I may ungate the cabinet one two suck out whatever has collected down there. I think this reduces the amount of dust that gets out on the table surface and up towards the operator(me).

I'm no expert though, curious what others have found optimal

Roy Wall
11-23-2007, 9:49 AM
As for two dust ports, I have one for the cabinet, and one for the overarm guard. But I'm finding I get max suction by just using the overarm guard while sawiing (gating off the cabinet one). And then periodically I may ungate the cabinet one two suck out whatever has collected down there. I think this reduces the amount of dust that gets out on the table surface and up towards the operator(me).

I'm no expert though, curious what others have found optimal

I think that's a pretty good idea........

The Jet cabinet saw has long been a good, solid machine - Nice setup and great upgrade! The cutting board is excellent and keep showing that daughter of yours the cool ways of Woodworking!!