PDA

View Full Version : Just got jurried in to Fountain Hills in March.

Bill Wyko
11-20-2007, 7:39 PM
As you all know I'm relatively new at this but I've been selected to show my work at the most prestigious art and wine festival in the state of Arizona. I'm going to have to buy some displays and a canopy but I think it will be money well spent. I'm as nervous as can be. The area where this event is, is the Beverly Hills of AZ. I'm really going to have to kick up my turning a few notches. They said I could bring any turnings I want as long as they are of the same quality as the ones they've seen so far. ANY suggestions are very welcome everyone.:D:D:D:D:D The event isn't until March so I better get busy. Wish me luck.

Alex Elias
11-20-2007, 7:50 PM
Well well well. Congratulations. It sounds like you are in for something good. Tell us how did you exposed your pieces on the past? It sounds like you have to have your work out there somewhere in order to be call.
Anyhow. Congratulation and good luck. BTW how may pieces are you thinking on thaking and what kind?
Alex

Bill Wyko
11-20-2007, 8:01 PM
Most of the stuff you've seen me do before plus some more segmented pieces. I'll be building one more big one and as many medium ones as I can build without sacrificing quality. The way I got in was to use a promoter. I sent her the pictures of my work and she does the rest. BTW I'm not sure but I think I'm the only one with segmented turnings out of all the artists I've looked at that are attending. The website is www.thunderbirdartists.com (http://www.thunderbirdartists.com) if you would like to look. This is exciting.:D

Jim Kountz
11-20-2007, 8:09 PM
Bill, what an honor, you must be very proud and nervous at the same time. Believe me though, with your work, you have nothing to be worried about. It speaks for itself and Im really not surprised at all that you got in. Congrats!!

Now go look up how to spell juried!! LOL Sorry! Just had to throw that at ya buddy! LOL

Steve Schlumpf
11-20-2007, 8:32 PM
WOW!!! Quite the honor Bill! You should have no problem with your turnings! Lets hope that this show has a little more advertising than the last one! Best of luck to you and don't sweat whether you can compete with the 'artists' - you do one-of-a-kind turnings and nobody there can touch you! Have fun with it!

Kevin McPeek
11-20-2007, 9:24 PM
...The area where this event is, is the Beverly Hills of AZ.

Don't let the people of Paradise Valley read that. You'll surely be blacklisted ;)

Maybe Mike will chime in, he went to a recent event in FH and he might be able to tell you what kind of stuff was there.

Pete Jordan
11-20-2007, 9:58 PM
Wow Bill!

You will do great!

George Guadiane
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Congratulations!
I'm sure that we ALL wish you great success...
By the way, don't fret, it won't change anything really.

Bill Wyko
11-21-2007, 1:21 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to be busy:o I learned a lot on Monsoon so I think the next big one will be easier (I better knock on it before I start it):rolleyes: I also brought my drum sander home so I don't have to drive 6 miles to my job to use it any more. That slowed me down quite a bit in the past. I'll get started this weekend.:)Thanks again.

Mike Vickery
11-21-2007, 2:05 AM
Congrats Bill the wife and I checked out the one they had a couple weeks ago. Their was a wide variety of stuff of different quality.
As far as turning went their were four turners not includeing the pen booths. One was really artsy turnings with the price tag to match (2 to 3 K), very good quality stuff but not my taste. Their was one segmented turner and his work was excellent quality. The two other turners I saw I was not impressed with at all.

Good luck on the show.

Doug M Jones
11-21-2007, 7:37 AM
Bill,
I've always been impressed by your work. Make sure you price it high enough. In the rarified air of a premium show. if your art is priced too low, people will wonder what's wrong with it.

Go get em and be sure to post pics of the new display.

Congrats,
Doug

Tony De Masi
11-21-2007, 7:42 AM
Outstanding Bill. From what I've seen of your work I know you will have a successful outing.

Tony

Bill Wyko
11-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks again everyone. A large part of my skill level is due to all the talented people here that have helped me along the way. Dec 15th is my 1 year aniversary of being a turner. Who would have thunk it?:) You are a great bunch here. I really owe a big thanks to you all. What ever I make for the show you'll see here first. I'll get started Friday.:D

Brett Baldwin
11-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Congrats Bill. Looks like I'll have a chance to see your work in person now. I look forward to it. Just keep doing what you've been doing and you can rest easy knowing you are doing good stuff.

robert hainstock
11-21-2007, 12:31 PM
SICUM!
You have a lot of good advice here, and though I haven't done any art or turning shows, I remember enough from other shows I did in the past to know that there are good shows and bad shows and to go and be proud of your work whatever the outcome. The turners that I have seen at local shows here are a mixed lot as far as fit and finish go. From what others before me have said, that is not a problem for you. GO HAVE FUN!:p

Bill Wyko
11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Congrats Bill. Looks like I'll have a chance to see your work in person now. I look forward to it. Just keep doing what you've been doing and you can rest easy knowing you are doing good stuff.
That's great Brett. I look forward to meeting you. It'll be nice to have someone to talk to that knows what this all about.

Sean Troy
11-21-2007, 1:11 PM
Way to go Bill. Why is it as soon as I leave Arizona, all the talent pops up?

Bill Wyko
11-21-2007, 2:04 PM
Sean, I'd say some great talent left when you did.

Tom Sherman
11-21-2007, 9:34 PM
Congratulations Bill, quite a feather for your cap.

John Hart
11-21-2007, 9:52 PM
Congratulations Bill. I'm happy for you. I hope it goes well...and with 4 months to prepare...I'm sure it will.;):)

Bill Wyko
11-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks very much. I'll post pics over the next few months if that's ok. Next will be the ornament. should be done this weekend.

Jason Christenson
11-23-2007, 11:46 AM
...The way I got in was to use a promoter...

Where did you find her? How much does she charge? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jason

Bill Wyko
11-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Where did you find her? How much does she charge? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jason
I'll get a hold of her for you and see what she is doing as far as new clients. My friend that makes the sandstone furniture set this up for me. I feel terrible. He's been trying to get into this event for 6 years, he sets me up with the right people then I get in and he doesn't. He's happy for me though.

Brett Baldwin
11-23-2007, 2:15 PM
Any chance you could use some of his work to display yours? That way you could "sneak" him into the show.

Ed Scolforo
11-23-2007, 4:00 PM
Now go kick butt!

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Any chance you could use some of his work to display yours? That way you could "sneak" him into the show.
Unfortunatly they said no to that. They were very specific about displays and the booth. I'm going to have to spend about 3K on the display to be in this show. I figure it to be a good investment in my woodworking future. I was told there were 600 vendors at the last event and only 3 or 4 woodworkers. Someone said that if I can get my booth near the musical entertainment that I'll get the biggest crowd.;)

Bill Wyko
11-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Bill,
I've always been impressed by your work. Make sure you price it high enough. In the rarified air of a premium show. if your art is priced too low, people will wonder what's wrong with it.

Go get em and be sure to post pics of the new display.

Congrats,
Doug
It's like the kid selling coolaid on the corner for a million dollars a glass. He was asked "How do you expect to sell all those coolaids for a million a glass?" The kid looks at the man and says " I don't need to sell all this coolaid for a million a glass....I just need to sell one.:D" Fortunatly I don't make a living at this (yet)so if the price is too high and something doesn't sell.........It looks great in my house.:D Thanks again, you guys are great.:)