PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Woodworking - How to spend a $1000

Tim Dorcas
11-20-2007, 7:18 PM
If you are a beginning wooodworker, it can be tricky to know where to start and what to get. Obviously the biggest thing starts with tools. I think everyone already thinks there is an endless supply of money. Go to any woodworking forum and ask what tablesaw you should get with $300. People will completely bypass your budget and say spend the money on a $600-$1000 tablesaw. What if wanted to purchase a jointer? Everyone will tell you to purchase an 8″ jointer. But what if you only have $300 to spend? This almost instantly makes it near impossible to get an 8″ jointer.

So with the limited budget of a beginner in mind, I thought I would compile a list of tools to get the beginning woodworker.

Ryobi BT3100 Table saw $300
Random Orbital Sander $ 70
Workbench with Vise $150
Measuring Tape $10
12 Inch Square $30
Electric Drill $50
Clamps $100
Router $150
Router Bits Kit $100
Shop Vac $70

Total $1,030

I owned the Ryobi BT3100 and thought for the money it was a great saw. It will not cut 2″ or 3″ hardwood all day but it has a decent fence, a sliding miter table, and comes with a decent blade to get you started.

At this price point you cannot dimension your own lumber which will cost you more when you purchase your wood but you should be able to build the majority of items you see plans for.

Upgrade #1 - Bandsaw

If there is anything I would get next it would be a bandsaw. I use my bandsaw as much as any other tool in my arsenal. A 14″ bandsaw with at least a 3/4 hp motor would be the minimum. If you can afford a riser block, get it. For me, resawing was the biggest reason to get a bandsaw but it can do so much more.

Upgrade #2 - Jointer/Planer

Starting with the bandsaw and moving to the Jointer and Planer, I say start to save up your money to get “the good stuff”. I bought the Ryobi 9″ Bandsaw, a 6″ Benchtop Jointer, and a low end Delta planer. I hated them all. The Ryobi Bandsaw was just too small to do any of the tasks I needed it to do. The Delta TP-305 Planer was a snipe monster. I have a Mastercraft 6″ Jointer which barely does the job. I have since replaced the bandsaw and the planer with equipment that does what I need it to. If I had the money, I would replace the jointer as well.

If you have already spent the $1000 and decided that woodworking was for you, it now starts to make sense to get good equipment that you won’t outgrow immediately and will last as long as you stay with your craft.
This all said, I would get a good jointer and a planer at this point. These tools in combination with the bandsaw allow you dimension rough lumber for your projects. This can save you a ton of money as well as expanding the limits of the 3/4ish material you find at your local building center.

Upgrade #3 - Jigs

There are a lot of contenders here.

Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

The first jig I purchased was a Kreg pocket hole jig. If you are new to
woodworking, you are going to want to start building something quickly but with a sense of quality. The Kreg jig will let you do this. This jig lets you create a strong joint without a lot of clamps. They are very easy to master and do not require the type of precision that dovetails, mortise and tenons, or the rest of the assorted joints require. I can do a lot more now and so I don’t rely on the pocket hole as much as I first did. That said, there is rarely a project that I don’t use this jig on.

Dowelmax

Dowelmax is a dowel jig. I consider this a step up from the Kreg Jig. It does require a certain amount of precision but it doesn’t leave holes in your project like pocket holes. It costs about twice as much as a full Kreg kit but it can improve the overall build quality of the projects you produce without that much more complexity.

Biscuit Joiner

I have started to use biscuits a lot lately. They are another joinery method which is easy to use. The biggest negative to using them is the requirement for clamps. However, if you are going to be in woodworking you’re going to need clamps sometime. Typically anything that will get butt jointed has the potential to use biscuits.

After this, you’ll begin to figure out what you need based on the type of projects you enjoy making. If you’re a cabinet maker, maybe you need a dovetail or dado jig. I didn’t mention how useful a router table can be. And there is something incredibly satisfying about using a hand plane to create “shavings”.

PS - I actually wrote this while on vacation in Mazatlan this past March. I believe that Ryobi has since discontinued the BT3100. You can find them used fairly easily but next on the list would be the Ridgid TS3650 10″ Table Saw. This will add a bit more to the overall budget but I think it’s a good saw for the money if not a machine with a lot of power.

James Phillips
11-20-2007, 7:32 PM
I would spend $700 or so to get a good used cabinet or hybrid saw. I did not go this route and have re-purchased alot of tools. I would spend the balance on quality hand tools. I would then add quality tools as $$ would allow. I am living proof that you can spend a lot on tools that you later have a hard time giving away.....

Michael Schwartz
11-20-2007, 7:46 PM
Get an old 20" bandsaw such as a delta rockwell and restore it, and then upgrade it. Find a few old Stanley hadplanes at flea markets with whatever you have left and add some old bench chisels. You will pretty much be in business.

Go with the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig. Not for fine furniture but perfect if you want to build a bathroom vanity or kitchen cabinets.

If you wan't a dowel jig it is pretty easy to make your own.

I use pocket screws more than biscuits, but a biscuit joiter is a good tool to have.

I would recommend buying a 12" starett combination square, it will cost twice as much but is absolutely worth it. You should also get a cheap 2" engineers square, I have a few that I use all the time and they only cost a few bucks each.

Tom Henry
11-20-2007, 7:51 PM
If you shop around and check Craigslist you will find some decent deals out there...

My finds
13" Delta 2speed planer- $150 ebay
Craftsman zipcode table saw w/cast iron tables- $400 new in crate ebay
Powermatic longbed 6" jointer $300 local ads
ShopFox Mortiser $125
13" Craftsman floor drill press $75
hmmm $1050....not too bad for a startup...

Thom Sturgill
11-20-2007, 8:51 PM
I'd probably add a small bench drill press to your list as #1 upgrade/add.
I liked my Ryobi BT3000 TS until my second fence gave way and the table got to where it could not be made stable. But it lasted me 10 yrs.

I'd probably cobble something together for the bench and go a little cheaper on the sander to get the DP. Come to think about it, I did:rolleyes:

Larry Fox
11-20-2007, 9:08 PM
Tim, good list but I would personally take a different approach. I would take about $500-600 of it and set it aside for a decent used cabinet saw. I would then look to spend the rest of it on a decent combo blade, some decent measuring tools (Combination square, etc). Round it out with some flea-market planes - block, #4, #7 and the rest on clamps. I think you can improvise on some of the other items on your list.

Bob Slater
11-20-2007, 9:36 PM
I have a nice powerful table saw now (General 350), but started with a Bosch contractors saw, It was a great machine. Get a used drill press, a nice jigsaw (love my Bosch) and a compound mitre saw, as well as a shop vac. That is probably around $750. Use the rest for some handtools, squares, measuring equipment, etc.

JayStPeter
11-20-2007, 9:41 PM
There are very few purchases I regret. I've upgraded just about every tool I've bought. But, at least I was building stuff and not staring at my shiny new expensive saw. That said, the beginner should purchase with an eye toward resale. My favorite upgrades were the ones where I got 80-100% of the purchase price back out of the tool when I was done. Unfortunately it was luck when it happened, not good research.:rolleyes:

Tim Dorcas
11-20-2007, 9:47 PM
Get an old 20" bandsaw such as a delta rockwell and restore it, and then upgrade it. Find a few old Stanley hadplanes at flea markets with whatever you have left and add some old bench chisels. You will pretty much be in business.

Go with the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig. Not for fine furniture but perfect if you want to build a bathroom vanity or kitchen cabinets.

If you wan't a dowel jig it is pretty easy to make your own.

I use pocket screws more than biscuits, but a biscuit joiter is a good tool to have.

I would recommend buying a 12" starett combination square, it will cost twice as much but is absolutely worth it. You should also get a cheap 2" engineers square, I have a few that I use all the time and they only cost a few bucks each.

If you were new to woodworking, I think you'd want to get right in and start building something. I'm not sure you'd want to rebuild something first.

Joe Mioux
11-20-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't see anything wrong with your list, but probably would re-priortize them a bit.

table saw and a lunch box planer would be one and two. you can build a sled for jointing boards with the planer. Next a jig saw.

four would be the router and other hand power tools. such as a drill.

remember you could also go the non-electric route and buy some hand planes, a brace, coping saw, CHISELS!, etc many of these items can be found at garage sales, or local classifieds or evern ebay.

one other item would be a book(s) like Tage Frid's three part series on woodworking. He showed many alternative ways to cutting and assembling. Some hand work and some power tool work. it is a great refernce guide.

joe

John Hain
11-20-2007, 10:23 PM
A poor table saw can make woodworking very cumbersome and annoying. I speak from experience when I recommend going used for a cabinet saw for a little more money. Then I'd add a ROS, router, and some hand planes (get some old glass and some sandpaper for a sharpening system).

With that stuff alone you can do some nice work. You can square up all your lumber first and foremost with the saw and planes; everything after that is gravy. Kinda hard to do nice work without square lumber.

There are many items you can pick up at garage sales for almost nothing:
1. Corded Drill
2. Corded Circ Saw
3. Hand saw
4. Level
5. Jigsaw
6. Oops, forgot chisels (EDIT), buy them cheap and resharpen them
etc etc.

Tom Cowie
11-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Tim

It looks to me like you have already done your research. My only advice is to spend you money on the thing that will help you make woodworking an enjoyable hobby or future vocation for you. I've added quite a bit in twenty years but it all started with one little scroll saw.

Good luck

Tom

Grant Morris
11-21-2007, 2:09 AM
I think your best bet is to start by acquiring the tools you need to actually build something. I would also buy used quality tools as you don't have the budget to start with new ones -and you can always resell them for close to what you pay for them when you are ready to upgrade! Based on that philosophy here is the list of stuff I would purchase/make as soon as I had the tools and materials:

Used decent contractors or cabinet saw $400
Used 2-3 hp router with flush cut and round over bits $100
Grinder to sharpen your planes and chisels $100 (get a fine stone too)
Cheaper doweling jig (Grizzly) $30
ROS $50
Clamps $200 (maybe start with some 24" and 12" ones)
Combination square $50 (get a decent one)
Power drill/screwdriver $50 (for dowel drilling and driving screws)

Used hand planes (flea market)
New chisel set $50

Materials to build the stuff below:
glue
plywood
dowel rods
screws

Stuff to build right away that will help you immensely with next projects:
Workbench ( See woodwhisperer.com for a good and cheap example)
Router table ( can use for joining 3/4-1" lumber)
Table saw extension table (could double as router table)

That should get you started nicely. Good luck with your endeavors.

Jack Camillo
11-21-2007, 7:10 AM
1000 to spend now. But, how about in years to come? I wouldn't attempt to buy the all the mainstays in the cheapy departments. Before realizing how much I truly enjoy making furniture, I went for years with some basic tools and built a curio cabinet, two desks, a table, a kitchen island, kitchen cabinets and many more smaller things with a small portable "table saw", a skill saw, a jig saw, a jack plane, a block plane, cordless drill, and a large tool box of small stuff (sanding block, handsaws, etc., etc.). Don't "invest" in crap. If you have some or most of the above, buy one really nice machine (that will last you forever) with your money for now, and make do with power/hand tools until you can buy the next nice machine. If you don't have most of the above, don't pay a hundred or two each for the good power/hand tools - go to a pawn shop and get these tools for small pennies on the dollar. Buy the best machines you can afford with what you save. Just my opinion, of course.

John Bailey
11-21-2007, 8:28 AM
I can't tell you the best, but I can tell you what I've done. I've got about $1,000 in the equipment I have now and I love being in the shop. I should tell you all my projects - boats, dulcimers, kayak paddles - have curves and influences my selection.

1. Used Bandsaw - $250
I couldn't get along without it. I'll be getting a bigger one in the near future, but the 14" serves all my purposes. I've learned to do all my cutting with it, straight and curved.

2. Used Benchtop Planer - $250
I have deviated slightly from this suggestion as I have chosen to go with an old (1942) Parks Planer that I'm rebuilding. I'm learning a lot and will have a tank of a planer when I'm done, but this is not an easy course to follow. I'm sure you can find a good used benchtop cheaper than $250, but I would go with one of the better ones. I scrounge most of my wood and will spend a lot of money if I don't have a planer. To this point I use my bandsaw and elbow grease and a combo sander to mill the wood to dimensions, but that process is a real tough way to go. Had I to do it over, a planer would have been one of my first choices.

3. Used Combo Sander - $150
I use this in combination with the bandsaw for everything. With careful use, after squaring off with the bandsaw, I can smooth everything out to the final dimensions. It is also a great tool for shaping curves. Mine is a 9" disc and 6" belt combo.

4. Used Stanley Low Angle Block Plane - $40
Again, when in the shop, this is an everyday use. The old Stanley's are very good and can be had cheaply.

5. Used Cross Cut Handsaw - $50
One of the limitations of relying on a 14" bandsaw is the throat depth. It limits the length of a cut. I use a handsaw for this because it's quicker and cleaner than my setting up to use my circular saw. I used a Stanley "Toolbox" saw for years. It worked nicely, but I got a set of vintage handsaws from my dad and they are much better. My dad didn't use them for a couple of decades, so they're not in good shape, but they still outperform the toolbox Stanley. When I get them refurbished they will be a go-to combination.

6. Used Stanley Bench Plane - $35
I don't use it as much as the block plane, but when I need it, it's indespensible.

7. Used Chisels - $50
Just buy some old ones and sharpen them up. Most of the old ones are very good. I've got two sets, one for doing work that I care about, and another set to use for things you shouldn't use chisels for.

8. Assortment of Marking and Measuring Tools - $25
The better, or should I say more over-confident, I get, the more I use these.

9. Two Cordless Hand Drills - $150
I use these for everything. It's really nice to have two. I've got a Bosch 14.4 v and a cheap 9.6 v. I use the small one to drill pilot holes and the big one to drive the screws.

Total - $1,000

My next upgrade will be either a larger bandsaw or a good guided saw system. Probably will get both in the near future.

John

Mike Marcade
11-21-2007, 8:51 AM
many of these items can be found at garage sales, or local classifieds or evern ebay.

I agree,

You can find lots of good deals at local rummage sales. I just found a brand new PC 690 router and the guy took 50 bucks for it. My boss was able to find a Dewalt 625 3 hp plunge router and got it for the magic 50 bucks. I got a good deal, he got a steal! :D

Richard Dragin
11-21-2007, 9:45 AM
I don't think we could get three people to agree on this subject because we all base our advice on our personal experiance. I love buying used but that can be it's own hobby if you are restoring. I think for someone to start out the the first priority should be wood, without it the tools are pretty much useless. Pick a project and that will dictate what tools you need to buy first. Many plans will have a list of tools needed which can help decide on projects and tools.

Prashun Patel
11-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't buy a table. Build one. It's a great 1st project for a beginning woodworker.

My 1st tools would be a good circ saw, 2 cordless drills, and as many clamps as you can afford.

Appreciating the quality and versatility of good tools is something every person has to discover for themselves. No matter how many lectures you hear, a guy's always going to want to buy a $300 saw first bkz he doesn't anticipate using it as much as he invariably will. I made the same mistake. I have a $300 Delta Shopmaster which I'd LOVE to trade up for a cab saw. LOML would kill me though for getting YAUT (yet another useless tool).

Scott Coffelt
11-21-2007, 10:06 AM
A different approach.

1. hand saws (all the basic ones)
2. planes (good assortment)
3. hammer
4. tape measure
5. good chisels
6. used ts
7. router & bits
8. good squares

I started off and only had a cs, router and some hand tools. I made lots of good stuff. Starting off, you can buy lumber already milled. Granted you pay more, but you can get buy. You can make lots of jigs for a router to accomplish many tasks. Also, if you learn how to make good joints with the saws and chisels, you'll be much farther along than most wood workers.

Andrew Chavchich
11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Sounds like an interesting challenge, little strange though.
Usually I have a project in mind and then buy the tools needed.

Here is a typical scenario:
an enthusiastic beginner goes to Home Depot or Harbor Freight (because other stores prices seems to be ridiculously high )and buy whole bunch of
of brand spanking new bargain tools or even worse "homeowner set" Attempts to accomplish something with them, quickly looses interest to woodworking and sells them dirt cheap at a flee market.

Here is what I would do (having 15 years woodworking experience and no tools and very limited funds with an intention to never sell/upgrade anything from my starter kit):

1. Go to a flee market and buy the following hand tools:
Stanley#4 hand plane
small low-angle block plane
level
small carpenter square
pliers
utility knife
chisels
tape measure
hammer
drill bits
screwdriver bits
scraper -$150

(All that stuff I see abundant every time I go there to hunt for antique tools. I would never touch anything that is made in China or Taiwan.)

2. Norton 220 and 1000 water stones and another stone to flatten them ( to sharpen chisels and hand plane blades) -$75
3. Festools smallest cordless drill $350 ( cost a lot but cordless drill is a super-important tool)
4. $250 jig saw (If I was allowed to only one saw it would be a jig saw)
5. $200 chop saw

Now though not very productively you can build almost anything. You can use a 2x4 as a guide and cut a straight line with a jig saw and then use a hand plane to make it "really" straight. Of course you can cut curves. You can produce a bunch of jigs now to increase your capabilities.

Tom Walz
11-21-2007, 11:48 AM
I’ll go along with buy what you need for the project. Also leave $100 for little stuff. I have several tapes and can usually find one. Sandpaper. Maybe a screw assortment.
When my daughter moved out of the dorm she asked me for a tool kit for Christmas. For under $100 at Sears I put together a nice kit with screwdrivers, torpedo level, twine, screw asst, nail asst. etc.

I like a folding carpenter’s ruler because they are just neat. Hand planes have been magic for me since my grandpa taught me to use one 50 years ago. Get a nice, square straight one that fits well in your hand. Figure out some way to keep track of your tools. I now have 4 essentially identical claw hammers and really don’t know why.

Be careful buying big, early. I bought a Ryobi portable sliding compound miter saw. It was great but I never used it. Just really didn’t do anything where I really needed it. Finally sold it.

Remember if you spend $1,000 than you have spent $1,000. However if you buy a tool for a project you really haven’t spent anything because you can always use it again.

Tom

Chris Smith
11-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Sears is closing out these so called zip code saws for under $300. Order it online to pick it up at one of your local stores. Act fast and pick it up immeditately because at this price the won't last long and once they are out of stock they won't honor the price. Spend the other money slowly as good deals pop up:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922104000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws

Next in line in my option should be:

Small hand held router
3 hp plunge router for router table
random orbital sander
kreg pocket hole jig
14" band saw (look at the sears model which goes on sale for around $300)
other tools such as a biscuit joiner, jig saw, circular saw, miter saw, cordless drill also help in the shop.

After buying router bits, clamps and other supplies your money will be long gone. Save up for the jointer and planer for the next go around.

Justin Bukoski
11-21-2007, 12:20 PM
To be honest I've spent thousands on tools. I have a serious problem when it comes to the "add to cart" button. Just recently I invested in just about every tool that Festool makes - for no good reason really just lust. What I've found is a little amazing. If I had just bought the circular saw and guide rails as well as the router and guide rails a long time ago instead of the cheap table saw, cheap router (you know, all the stuff you buy and then replace because you realize its junk) I would have had a lot of fun, saved a ton of money and made better projects than I did to start out with.

Right now if I were starting over and had limited space and budget I'd buy the TS55 with an extra 55" guide rail to handle rip cuts in sheet stock and the 1400 series router and then build a table similar to the MFT. If I were really flush with cash I'd add a Domino and probably never "need" to add another tool for years. I know there would be some limits to what I could make but I think those limits would be about right for a beginner.

Anyway, I'm sounding like a Festool shill here but what I've found is despite the huge combo machine in the middle of my shop, the big bandsaw the shapers etc, etc the tools I use the most are the Festools and my lathe.

Pete Clifford
11-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Remember if you spend $1,000 than you have spent $1,000. However if you buy a tool for a project you really haven’t spent anything because you can always use it again.

Tom

Tom, I like your economic theory. I'm going to utilize it on SWMBO the next time that I make a major purchase, "Honey, this garage full of tools hasn't cost me/us anything!";)

Art Mulder
11-21-2007, 1:36 PM
I have never met anyone who started woodworking this way.
What I mean is, I have never met anyone who started from nothing with a budget, and then spent it all on tools.

With me it was incremental - buy what you need for the project at hand - as other people have said.

Norm Koerner
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
I see little use for spending part of your "start-up" money for a jointer. I have an 8-inch longbed model and rarely use it. Instead use just a small portion of the money for a quality saw blade. Those carbide alternating top bevel (ATB) blades will create an edge quite good enough for edge-to-edge glue-up of table tops, for instance. And even biscuits are not needed.

The primary use of a jointer for most folks is to true up the edge of a board. There are other ways to accomplish this, and all are cheaper than a jointer which won't guarantee perfectly straight edges unless it's perfectly adjusted, which is difficult for many woodworkers to accomplish.

What I do with a curved board is to draw a straight line on it with minimal waste. Use another long board or even a chalk line. Then use your table or Skil (portable electric saw), cutting on or close to the line. Now you're ready to touch it up using your rip fence on the table saw.

However, on longer boards, your rip fence is not long enough and you will continue to get less-than-perfect edges. I solve this problem by fastening a 6- or 8-foot level to my rip fence to extend the length. To avoid the expense of a loooonnnngggg level, you could use another board or extruded aluminum piece.

Jason White
02-27-2009, 7:22 AM
Avoid the Ryobi tablesaw and try to find one of these on closeout at Home Depot. I've seen them for $400 or less....

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100608588&onlineStore=true&navFlow=3&keyword=ts3660&langId=-1&searchRedirect=ts3660&searchBox=Search&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.bean s.EndecaDataBean%4066fcbaad&ddkey=Search

If you are a beginning wooodworker, it can be tricky to know where to start and what to get. Obviously the biggest thing starts with tools. I think everyone already thinks there is an endless supply of money. Go to any woodworking forum and ask what tablesaw you should get with $300. People will completely bypass your budget and say spend the money on a $600-$1000 tablesaw. What if wanted to purchase a jointer? Everyone will tell you to purchase an 8″ jointer. But what if you only have $300 to spend? This almost instantly makes it near impossible to get an 8″ jointer.

So with the limited budget of a beginner in mind, I thought I would compile a list of tools to get the beginning woodworker.

Ryobi BT3100 Table saw $300
Random Orbital Sander $ 70
Workbench with Vise $150
Measuring Tape $10
12 Inch Square $30
Electric Drill $50
Clamps $100
Router $150
Router Bits Kit $100
Shop Vac $70

Total $1,030

I owned the Ryobi BT3100 and thought for the money it was a great saw. It will not cut 2″ or 3″ hardwood all day but it has a decent fence, a sliding miter table, and comes with a decent blade to get you started.

At this price point you cannot dimension your own lumber which will cost you more when you purchase your wood but you should be able to build the majority of items you see plans for.

Upgrade #1 - Bandsaw

If there is anything I would get next it would be a bandsaw. I use my bandsaw as much as any other tool in my arsenal. A 14″ bandsaw with at least a 3/4 hp motor would be the minimum. If you can afford a riser block, get it. For me, resawing was the biggest reason to get a bandsaw but it can do so much more.

Upgrade #2 - Jointer/Planer

Starting with the bandsaw and moving to the Jointer and Planer, I say start to save up your money to get “the good stuff”. I bought the Ryobi 9″ Bandsaw, a 6″ Benchtop Jointer, and a low end Delta planer. I hated them all. The Ryobi Bandsaw was just too small to do any of the tasks I needed it to do. The Delta TP-305 Planer was a snipe monster. I have a Mastercraft 6″ Jointer which barely does the job. I have since replaced the bandsaw and the planer with equipment that does what I need it to. If I had the money, I would replace the jointer as well.

If you have already spent the $1000 and decided that woodworking was for you, it now starts to make sense to get good equipment that you won’t outgrow immediately and will last as long as you stay with your craft.
This all said, I would get a good jointer and a planer at this point. These tools in combination with the bandsaw allow you dimension rough lumber for your projects. This can save you a ton of money as well as expanding the limits of the 3/4ish material you find at your local building center.

Upgrade #3 - Jigs

There are a lot of contenders here.

Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

The first jig I purchased was a Kreg pocket hole jig. If you are new to
woodworking, you are going to want to start building something quickly but with a sense of quality. The Kreg jig will let you do this. This jig lets you create a strong joint without a lot of clamps. They are very easy to master and do not require the type of precision that dovetails, mortise and tenons, or the rest of the assorted joints require. I can do a lot more now and so I don’t rely on the pocket hole as much as I first did. That said, there is rarely a project that I don’t use this jig on.

Dowelmax

Dowelmax is a dowel jig. I consider this a step up from the Kreg Jig. It does require a certain amount of precision but it doesn’t leave holes in your project like pocket holes. It costs about twice as much as a full Kreg kit but it can improve the overall build quality of the projects you produce without that much more complexity.

Biscuit Joiner

I have started to use biscuits a lot lately. They are another joinery method which is easy to use. The biggest negative to using them is the requirement for clamps. However, if you are going to be in woodworking you’re going to need clamps sometime. Typically anything that will get butt jointed has the potential to use biscuits.

After this, you’ll begin to figure out what you need based on the type of projects you enjoy making. If you’re a cabinet maker, maybe you need a dovetail or dado jig. I didn’t mention how useful a router table can be. And there is something incredibly satisfying about using a hand plane to create “shavings”.

PS - I actually wrote this while on vacation in Mazatlan this past March. I believe that Ryobi has since discontinued the BT3100. You can find them used fairly easily but next on the list would be the Ridgid TS3650 10″ Table Saw. This will add a bit more to the overall budget but I think it’s a good saw for the money if not a machine with a lot of power.

Mike Hess
02-27-2009, 8:29 AM
I'm a used tool and bargain hunting enthusiast, and when I think about it, I've probably spent less than $1000 on my core woodworking tools.

1. Shopsmith machine with bandsaw, 4" jointer, SS dust collector, biscuit jointer, tenoning jig, 8" stacked dado set, 3 10" blades, and other small accessories - $300. This is probably the best deal I've ever gotten on anything, but it does happen from time to time.

2. Old Delta Rockwell Floor standing drill press - $100

3. Old Dewalt MBF Radial Arm Saw - $85

4. Newer Delta chop saw (36-585) - $60

5. Grizzley Planer - $100. This one leaves a lot to be desired. I wish I'd spent some more money here and gotten one with a locking cutter head.

6. The one place I did splurge was on a brand spankin new (well, OK - factory reconditioned) Porter Cable 7000 series plunge router. I think that was about $200, but the built in height adjustment lets me use it as a router lift when I use it in "makeshift router table" mode.

So that's what, about $850? Leaves $150 for assorted odds and ends.

This answer will probably draw plenty of ridicule, but I say go with a used Shopsmith machine. It's not ideal for every tool, but it is a great way to get started, and you can pick one up for about $500 without having to look for too long. You may eventually upgrade to a cabinet saw, or a standalone drill press, etc., but the Shopsmith is a great backup machine to have in the shop for tools you only use once in a while (the lathe for example, if you only need to turn a table leg on occasion) or to use as a second setup (say dadoing on the cabinet saw and a crosscutting on the Shopsmith). Even if I someday have a shop full of dedicated machines, which is doubtful due to space limitations, I'm keeping the Shopsmith for these reasons.

Chris Kennedy
02-27-2009, 8:47 AM
When I started woodworking, I had pretty much no budget. Built some shelves with a $100 miter saw and a doweling jig. Like many here, my collection of tools has evolved over the past few years, but I still don't have some of the standards (jointer/planer).

I made the mistake of spending a small windfall I had on a LN #4. Not that it was a mistake to get it, but it made me realize the value of good tools. So, I save and make do until I can afford a decent version of a tool.

Cheers,

Chris

keith ouellette
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Even though I have had my shop for about two years I am no where near finished setting up. For people on a budget its very hard.

I lost a lot of my start up money getting rid of a combination machine that I couldn't have hated more if it was chasing me around and poking me in the eye with a stick.

I like the OP's plan to start up and wish I had gone that route.

Its a good plan for a person on a tight budget because it allows you to see how things work and further more to see how much more difficult wood working is without spending to much money.

You watch tv and think. boy that looks fun and impressive but in the real world it can be very hard and frustrating.

I'm sure its easy for people who can plunk down a lot of money for the best and get to learn on the best equipment made but for most people it is an odd mixture of excitement and severe disappointment , fun and frustration, unwavering dreams and horrible nightmares.

I couldn't be happier (unless I found $20K to go buy A bunch of equipment)

Douglas Brummett
02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think there is a perfect starter kit. $1000 is not enough to set up shop. Every single list so far has left out crucial elements.

Here is a list I posted over on woodwhisperer forum:
I am not too far removed from this process having been setting up shop since June. I had a budget similar to what you have suggested. Not one of my tools has blasted over the $500 mark. I am a fan of used tools off craigslist whenever possible. Here is the breakdown of my woodworking specific tools purchased for my shop:

Tablesaw and router table ($150 off e-bay + $340 in add ons):
Craftsman 2HP contractor, belt drive, HTC 50" Biesemeyer style fence, extension table
I have added a mobile base ($50)
I also added a cast iron router extension ($290)
It's not new, but has many more miles left in it. The fence alone would have cost over $400. The CI router table was not a necessity. I needed a router table, fence, and insert (when all is said and done those 3 items add up to about $200 at a minimum). Eventually I will upgrade the saw, but for now this setup works.

Jointer ($350):
Delta JT360
I actually got it for under $200, but it was a floor model and missing parts. I would likely go grizzly if I did it again. Main reason I got this was price and that it was from a local Lowe's.

Planer ($310):
Sunhill SM-346, 13in
It had better features than planers much higher in price (long tables, locking cutter head, easy to set knives). Jet has also sold a branded version of this exact planer in the past. Honestly most of the benchtop planers come out of the same factory. I just found that Sunhill had a great price on it. On a limited budget I couldn't justify paying double for the dewalt.

Bandsaw ($370 + $130 add ons)
Rigid 14in BS1402
Purchsed new with a coupon from HD
It did require a bit of tinkering to get it tuned. I also added the price of cool blocks, new blades, new v-belt, and a Kreg fence into my cost. I think it is a decent saw and suposedly it has the Rigid gaurantee.

So I am sitting at $1650. Not bad, now time to throw in hand tools and accessories.
($300) Mix and match of handplanes mostly Stanley rehabs (jointer, benches, blocks, smoothers, scrapers, rabett, and shoulder)
($30) handsaws (flush, dovetail) I already had a bunch of others (Ryoba, back, coping, etc...)
($200) Sharpening supplies (cheap grinder, water slones, sandpaper)
...dang, over budget already...
($30-100) TS combo blade
($80-250) 8in dado set
($100-200) push blocks, push sticks, feather boards
($50) Respirator, goggles, ear plugs (hey, it's cheaper than a dust collector)
($100) Shop-Vac (again, cheaper than a DC and does a decent job of reducing mess by atleast 50%)
...going way over budget...
($400) nice selection of clamps (parallel, F-type, c-clamp, spring clamp, wooden, quick grip, etc...)
...OUCH, that hurt and that was being cheap...
($20-60 per machine) mobile bases?
($$) Spare blades?

It just keeps going and going. Looking back at my list I was able to put most of the major tools into the shop at about $2K. But also notice that most were cheaper. There are no $600-700 machines in my shop. Just not realistic with this kind of a budget in mind. There are areas to save money. I could have just mounted my router directly to extension table on my tablesaw, but the trade off is that I don't know how flat that really is so my projects might suffer. My choices take into account a very tight budget and a lot of scrutinizing to get the best tools into my shop within my limits. Some guys get by with a lot less, some spend $2K just on hand planes, I picked and chose over the last few months. What does all of it add up to? I would imagine I have sunk close to $4k into my shop if you consider everything above, add in about 15-20 items I am forgetting, and also consider the $300 I spent to upgrade the electrical into the shop (remember, you may not be able to just plug in these larger power tools and go with it).

Also, I can't really make assumptions about what you already have. I already have drills (corded, cordless, impact, Drill Press), sanders (belt, ROS, 1/4 sheet), router, jigsaw, circular saw, sawzall, etc... These things add up. I think a circular saw and jigsaw are both essential tools for panel work. I guess the point is if I didn't have these tools there goes another $1500-2000.

Paul Johnstone
02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Right now if I were starting over and had limited space and budget I'd buy the TS55 with an extra 55" guide rail to handle rip cuts in sheet stock and the 1400 series router and then build a table similar to the MFT. If I were really flush with cash I'd add a Domino and probably never "need" to add another tool for years. I know there would be some limits to what I could make but I think those limits would be about right for a beginner.

But the thing is, you can get a very nice contractor's saw or hybrid for what the TS55 costs, and it's much more versatile. I guess it depends on what you build, but I would truly hate to rip a bunch of 2" wide hardwood strips using a circular saw and a homemade MFT.

Also, I have a domino, but it's a pure luxury item. Someone else mentioned a $250 jig saw. I think a decent router is a much better investment for a beginner. A beginner can by fine with a cheapo jig saw. I used a $30 jig saw. It lasted for 10 years. It would've probably lasted a lot longer if I didn't drop it off the roof 4 times. :)

So my list in priority is:

1. Decent contractor's saw
2. Random orbit sander
3. lunchbox planer
4. decent router
5. make your own table for the router
6. (optional) budget circular saw, homemade guide
7. (optional) budget jigsaw
8. (optional) 6" jointer

You can make a lot of stuff with just 1-5. I got by for a long time with just 1-7.

Prashun Patel
02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I think it's a fool's errand to try to buy a complete set that will last you for the forseeable future. Tools are addictive. The more you get, the more your hunger for better tools gets.

I'd advise not to spend yr whole $1000 yet. Pick a project to build, and then buy good tools to support that project. Buy yr tools as you need them.

John Keeton
02-27-2009, 12:04 PM
So my list in priority is:

1. Decent contractor's saw
2. Random orbit sander
3. lunchbox planer
4. decent router
5. make your own table for the router
6. (optional) budget circular saw, homemade guide
7. (optional) budget jigsaw
8. (optional) 6" jointer

You can make a lot of stuff with just 1-5. I got by for a long time with just 1-7.Best advice yet!! Start slow, and buy as you have needs and money! Odds are vey good that you will spend $1000 right now, and find out the next project you need/want to do requires another tool, but you have no more available money.

Jeff Dunlap
02-27-2009, 1:23 PM
If it were me Home depot is closing out the 3660 contractor saw for $400, i have it and think its a great saw and at only 100 more than the ryobi well worth it.

Second i would pick up a lunchbox planer, i got a dewalt 734, and right now they are on sale for 300 at lowes.

with these two tools you can, you'll have to build a few jigs, but you can start dressing rough cut lumber, and the saw is accurate enough for precision joinery and shold last a long time

With the rest of the money i would buy hand planes clamps, a router, jigs etc, whatever you think yo will need. the kreg pocket jig is a must, you can pick up there mid model i guess i would call it for 40.

Well that my 2 cents

John Bailey
02-27-2009, 2:20 PM
This is my list.

$200 MBF DeWalt radial arm saw. One of the all time best tools.
$250 An old (older the better) Delta 14" bandsaw. Again, one of the
all time best.
$150 An old Delta drill press
$125 Bosch 14.4v cordless drill (factory reconditioned)
$125 Bosch Jigsaw (factory reconditioned)
$150 As you need them buy measuring tools, old planes, whatever you
think you may need.

You can pretty much build anything you care to build with these machines. You'll have to buy dressed wood, or take it somewhere to have it planed. Later you can buy yourself a nice planer and jointer.

John

Dustin Lane
02-27-2009, 3:29 PM
I know I have come in way below $1000 so far. I don't have a complete shop, but I am an amateur by every definition of the word. My shopping list was as such:
Older Craftsman 113.xxxxx 10 inch contractors table saw for 22.50 at auction
Old CI Delta 10 inch chop saw for 35 at auction
Various hand tools for $5 a handful at auction
Ryobi Circ saw for 25 shipped from the bay
Bosch jigsaw for around 100 using MS cashback from the bay
Dewalt power drill from local hardware store for 60ish
Dewalt ROS from internet for 50ish
PC 6902 router with plunge base for $50 from CL
PC 6902 router with non-plunge base and table for $40 at auction
and soon to be mine a dewalt 734 planer for around 200 from CL
throw in another 50 or so for other random hand tools (planes, saws, clamps...) from auction/garage sale/web deals.

Grand total of less than 450 + whatever I get the planer for. That leaves plenty for all types of fasteners and wood. I still have intentions of getting a jointer but as is I think I can do everything that I want to with what I have. I do of course know I'll be getting what I pay for and will have to replace/upgrade things as I go but for starting out I think I did good.

Lesson learned: Local Auctions!! Don't be afraid to buy used, there is a huge amount of savings available. Though sometimes there is nothing like the smell of a new tool fresh from factory.

John Messinger
02-27-2009, 4:04 PM
The initial post asked about a jointer. I have been woodworking for for over 20 years and had a small cabinetmaking business for about 5. I have never had a jointer. Everything that I know of that can be done with a jointer can be done just as well, often just as quickly, and far more enjoyably with handplanes. One of the greatest joys of woodworking is taking a nice long thin curl of wood off a board to get a glass smooth surface. Compare that to another screaming, dust producing, immoble monster that takes up a lot of space. If I want that, I'll have more kids.

Steve H Graham
02-27-2009, 5:48 PM
I'd say bandsaw before table saw. It's safer, it does more stuff, and it's more fun to use.

Chris Konikowski
02-27-2009, 5:56 PM
LOL! You guys notice that before yesterday, the lext post was 2007? :eek::D

I love it when people are searching and they start responding to way old threads...

John Keeton
02-27-2009, 8:32 PM
Chris, that is the great thing about senility! Each moment is a new day:D Give us another week, and all of this will be new again!

Good catch!!!

Steve H Graham
02-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I'd say bandsaw before table saw. It's safer, it does more stuff, and it's more fun to use.

Whoops, I'm out of Depends.

Charles P. Wright
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I've started in the last two years. One thing that I think matter is whether or not you have basic hand tools and portable power tools for home improvement, that helps a lot. I didn't need to go off and buy a drill, circular saw, coping saw, screw drivers, etc. I just had them.

I started out by spending $420 on a RIDGID TS3660 after borrowing a Craftsman benchtop from my dad. Accessorizing your table saw will close to another $100 for a Dado set, and building a sacrificial fence with hold downs (remember when you are just starting you won't have much scrap to work with for jigs, etc.). Having a good table saw really makes things a lot more fun. I would say that the best way to start a shop is to buy a contractors saw (because it is big and heavy); a shop vac; and whatever you need for that particular project.

The miscellaneous things will just eat up your budget when you are starting out. Right now I am building a very simple TV stand that is basically just a box. The real interesting part for me is that I'm doing drawers. The materials (3 sheets of plywood, drawer slides, and a little bit of maple for edge moulding) came out to $193, but I've also spent another $100 on clamps, because I don't want to use any visible mechanical fasteners. I need glue brushes throw in $5, some hardware $15, finishing supplies $15. If you are just starting out, you won't have sand paper and other things like that either. Every project will expose more of these holes, and possibly require new tools. I like purchasing them just in time, because then if I see a deal on something that I know is on the "list" of impending tools, I can pick it up. If I preemptively buy things, I might miss those sales.

Rick Grossi
03-01-2009, 12:08 PM
This is rather timely, as I find myself in the OPs position some two years later (and I suspect that at any moment there are 10 poeple trolling this site in exactly the same position). I have been cobbling togehter projects over the last few years and becoming more interested in developing this as a hobby. I have an area about 17' x 18' that i have claimed as my work area in the basement. I have the basics - corded drill, some clamps, etc. from a general home repair necessity. Now, the desire for an AV console plus two cabinets has pushed me in. In the last three weeks I have put together:

The rigid TS 3660 for $400
Bosch 1617 combo router - $209 (coastal tool threw in a free edge guide)
Kreg pocket hole jig from Woodcraft sale - $118

and i may pull the trigger (so to speak) on the bosch 1590/91 jigsaw.

These should easily get me through this set of projects and test my mettle for further ones.

No idea what the next one will be.

I am always on craigs list looking for clamps, planes, etc. to try to get cheaper. I figure i can tell if a clamp is working rather than a power tool.

The big thing i will need to spend some money on: lighting.

As a newbie, everyone's experience and perspective is greatly appreciated.

Brian Tuftee
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm also an advocate of the idea that you need to pick a project, and acquire your tools at a gradual pace. If you're brand new to woodworking, and someone gives you $1,000, how on earth would you know how to spend it? All of us have answers, because we've trudged through projects, and we know what tools we appreciate, and what ones we don't.

Restoring used machines isn't for everyone, I know I personally wouldn't have the patience for it - my interest is making sawdust, not tuning up old machinery. Also, good used equipment isn't necessarily the easiest thing to come by - you really have to be vigilant at garage sales and auctions to come up with anything decent. I've actually never seen a used tool that I wanted to buy. Start out small, to see if you even like woodworking. It would be pretty foolish to drop a grand, and only find out that you really don't have the time, patience, or passion for it!

My first "real" project was an Adirondack chair, built with a cheap miter saw, router, some clamps, a drill/driver, jigsaw, and a really cheap 1/4 sheet sander. The sander was the only tool I bought for it, since I already owned the other items. All of the wood was pre-dimensioned cedar, cut to length on the miter saw, with a few cuts on the jigsaw for the rounded parts. At this same time I did a japanese-style garden bench, entirely out of 2x4 lumber, glue and screws, and painted. But these two projects were enough to confirm I was "hooked".

Next project was a jewelry armoire, which required me to add a basic Craftsman table saw, a few more clamps, and not much else. Again, built mostly from pre-dimensioned and finished red oak, but the drawers and top did require the table saw.

Bottom line, you need to know what sorts of things you like making, in order to really set up shop.

John Danner
03-02-2009, 6:38 PM
One thing that has helped me is just a little networking. I got a radial arm saw free from an old guy who was now scared of it. My dad has some old planes from his dad and never uses them so I will be getting those soon. My father-in-law is a dedicated woodworker who has given me a drill press, table saw, and jointer in the process of upgrading. Many people lose interest in the hobbie and would be happy to have the space if you mentioned your interest. I think spending some money on fresh blades for any used or handed down items makes sense. The router, drill and table saw are tools I use most and with the most varied uses. My shop has a long way to go but I can tell you staying organized is something I need to improve on. I spend way too much time in the shop looking for this or that.

Jim Rimmer
04-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Don't overlook school auctions. Unfortunately a lot of high schools are doing away with their wood shop classes. Most of the power tools are 220V but hand tools are available. I bought a 5'x6'x2" maple work table with three sliding vices at a school auction for $250. I sold one vice for $100. It is really nice to have a large, flat, sturdy surface to work on. A good work surface is essential for a shop.