PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for vectoring extruded material

Chris Conger
11-20-2007, 4:54 PM
I work on a 75W Epilog helix, I have a job I need to get some help on.

I have 3/4" cast acrylic.

I would like to know what settings I could use for best results.

I already learned to raise it off the vector table. I have it sitting on blocks. Let me know, thanks guys.

Larry Bratton
11-20-2007, 5:54 PM
I work on a 75W Epilog helix, I have a job I need to get some help on.

I have 3/4" cast acrylic.

I would like to know what settings I could use for best results.

I already learned to raise it off the vector table. I have it sitting on blocks. Let me know, thanks guys.
Chris, I just looked at the Helix manual for 75watt power and speed recommendations. It recommends 3s/100p/5000 for 3/8! Based on this information I'm not sure you can cut 3/4" (especially in one pass) I have a 40watt EXT and I cut 1/4" in one pass. I'm sure some of the other members can tell you their experience.

Scott Shepherd
11-20-2007, 7:07 PM
75 watts will probably get you through it. On the Epilog we had (45 watts), I cut 1/2" with it at 3 speed, 100 power, 5000 frequency.

It didn't cut as clean as the 1/2" extruded. It was really pushing the limit to cut that thick. I'd guess with the right lens (maybe 2", maybe not), you might be able to get it there. I'd try it with the above settings Larry mentioned on a test piece. Also, I'm not sure this matters or not, as I haven't worked out the actual difference or not, but leaving the paper on one side or both sides may very well have an impact on it.

Gary Hair
11-20-2007, 7:11 PM
If I can cut 1/2" with my 30 watt, I would be surprised if you can't cut 3/4" with your 75 watt. I used 100% power and 0.1% speed (41 ips max). I was pretty amazed that it worked, but it did.

Gary

Frank Corker
11-21-2007, 9:56 AM
You should be able to cut it very easily with a 75w. I cut 20mm acrylic in one pass and get a clean very acceptable finish at 1/100/1500

Larry Bratton
11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
75 watts will probably get you through it. On the Epilog we had (45 watts), I cut 1/2" with it at 3 speed, 100 power, 5000 frequency.

It didn't cut as clean as the 1/2" extruded. It was really pushing the limit to cut that thick. I'd guess with the right lens (maybe 2", maybe not), you might be able to get it there. I'd try it with the above settings Larry mentioned on a test piece. Also, I'm not sure this matters or not, as I haven't worked out the actual difference or not, but leaving the paper on one side or both sides may very well have an impact on it.
Scott:
That was kind of my point. Recommended settings are the same for 3/8". He'll just have to experiment. I would also be surprised if 75watts won't get it.