PDA

View Full Version : Freud FT2200 router help

Pete Clifford
11-20-2007, 4:09 PM
My Freud router comes with both 1/2" and 1/4" collets, which snap into a collet nut. I cannot seem to get the 1/2" collet out of the nut. I understand it is somehow supposed to snap out, but cannot figure out how to do this. I've searched old threads and the WWW without joy. The manual is little help - I'm hoping SMC'ers can provide some assistance. Thanks.

Justin Bukoski
11-20-2007, 4:58 PM
Pete, I don't want to sound insulting but you did remove the nut and push it out the back (side normally facing the router) correct?

Pete Clifford
11-20-2007, 5:11 PM
Justin, no insult taken. I had tried that without success, but after reading your post, applied my Herculean finger strength and finally got the collet out. :eek: The 1/2" collet is really tight, essentially requiring all my miniscule power to remove it with shaking, white fingers. Thanks again, problem solved, things should loosen up a bit with further use.

Dale Lesak
11-20-2007, 6:21 PM
It should come out if you lean/tilt it to the side and wiggle and push at the same time. it has to be tilted to the side before it'll come out. I just change mine 1/2 hour ago and that seems to be the trick. ;) :)

Charles McCracken
11-21-2007, 7:13 AM
It should come out if you lean/tilt it to the side and wiggle and push at the same time. it has to be tilted to the side before it'll come out. I just change mine 1/2 hour ago and that seems to be the trick. ;) :)

Agreed. Usually a little rocking motion as you pull is all that is required. After being used a little it gets easier.

Lee Schierer
11-21-2007, 9:46 AM
The best solution is to call the Freud parts center and get a separate nut for one of the collets. I have two collets for mine and two nuts. Switching from 1/2" to 1/4" is quick and easy.

James Gillespie, Jr.
11-21-2007, 12:02 PM
What do they charge for a spare nut?

Charles McCracken
11-21-2007, 1:39 PM
What do they charge for a spare nut?

I don't recall the price off the top of my head but you can call (800) 334-4107 (option 3) and the parts guys will give you the cost.

Lee Schierer
11-21-2007, 1:41 PM
What do they charge for a spare nut? I don't recall, but it wasn't much. Don't know why Freud doesn't sell it as a set any way.

Maybe Charles M from Freud can answer!!!!

Lee

Pete Clifford
11-21-2007, 4:13 PM
I don't recall the price off the top of my head but you can call (800) 334-4107 (option 3) and the parts guys will give you the cost.

The helpful rep at Freud USA tells me that it is $20.64 shipped. For Canadians, Freud Canada is at 1-905-670-1025, but after speaking with them, they do not sell direct but ask you to go through a local dealer (who can order in the part if it is not in stock).

As an aside, I have previously dealt with Max, one of the reps at Freud Canada. He was excellent and helped resolve a problem that was my own doing. Their customer service was top-notch, and they have gained my loyalty.:)

Justin Bukoski
11-21-2007, 4:33 PM
Just call Bob Marino and he can short you out. I too have multiple collet nuts - wow that sounded funny the first time i read it :D