PDA

View Full Version : My new DW716 is uneven!

Wade Lippman
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I just got a Dewalt 12" CMS.
When I put a straight edge across it there is a 0.007" gap between the straight edge and the the center part that rotates; the shoulders are higher then the center.

I emailed Dewalt asking if this was design or a defect. If a defect, could I fix it by applying some 0.006" thick self adhesive 220 grit sandpaper.

They replied that that gaps up to 0.011 were considered normal. They did not address my question about the sand paper.

I think a gap is undesirable, but returning it is a hassle. What do you think of my idea for putting down the SA sandpaper?

The saw seems to have twice the power of my old Ryobi 12", and in general it seems fine; I just don't care for the depressed center.

Greg Cole
11-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Depressed center as in the kerf plate?
If that's what you are referring to, make one the correct thickness or buy a pre-made ZCI.... you will appreciate the ZCI on the CMS if you've never had one.
While you are at it make a sub fence for it for the same reasons as assing a ZCI... to improve the cut quality.

Greg

Wade Lippman
11-20-2007, 1:16 PM
No, the entire aluminum section that rotates; it holds the kerf plate.

Paul Fitzgerald
11-20-2007, 2:20 PM
Hmm... Now that you mention it...

I have the same issue with my DW716. I'll have to check to see how bad mine is, which means I need to look for my set of feeler gauges.

Thanks for the heads up.

Paul

Barry Beech
11-20-2007, 2:36 PM
Do you really need to have tolerances less than that on a CMS?

The only thing my CMS is used for is breaking down stock. Any precise miters are cut on the TS.

Not sure that you could find sandpaper that is less than 1/124ths of an inch thick.

Greg Cole
11-20-2007, 2:38 PM
Ohhhh... gotcha.
ZCI and aux. fence are still good ideas though. :D If you are going to use for shop-finer-WW'ing.
I have the 718 I think it is.... have had for 5 years or so now. Mine is mostly used now for decking & lesser "precise" stuff than finer ww'ing. Not sure how flat mine is.... hmmm.... something to try to remember to check for the helluvit.
I do have some phenolic BB ply coming that I am going to make a miter saw station out of with Incra scale track etc to make the miter saw a little more "accurate" in the shop.

Greg

Rod Sheridan
11-20-2007, 2:39 PM
So Wade, I'm assuming this thread could have been titled "Depressed CMS depresses Owner"?:D

Regards, Rod.

Louis Brandt
11-20-2007, 3:05 PM
I bought my DW716 about a year ago. I just checked mine with a straight edge, and it's perfect. Maybe there was a bad run of them, and maybe checking serial numbers on good ones versus bad ones might provide a clue as to when the bad ones were built.

Greg Cole
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Wade,
My DW 718 is 'bout as far off as yours. Can't say as I've ever really had a problem with inaccuracy from it, maybe whatcha don't know doesn't "hurt" you? :confused:
Honestly, as I've progressed deeper into WW'ing not just home remodelling etc, I expect less from the CMS.

Greg