PDA

View Full Version : how to brighen up my shop with cinder block walls

jason lambert
11-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Just putting in a new shop in a two car garage (using one side for the shop). The walls are old dark cinder block, untreated/painted. I was thinking of painting the walls white to brighten it up, it is kind of drab and dark in there, is this a good idea? Will the paint hold over the years? I also think it will help block moisture.

I could also put up furring strips and sheet rock but I think that might be over kill. I don't have the room to frame a 2X4 wall wish I did but there is almost no room to the sides of the doors.

Any other solutions? Or should I just leave it being that the cinderblocks will never peal and will always look well, like old cinder block.

Prashun Patel
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Paint it. if you're not happy, you can always furr and frame later.

I'd use a good stainblocking primer like Kilz or Zinsser BIN. Then you can paint it with a good exterior paint (white). It'll be cheap and you'll be amazed how much the light will improve.

Scott Long
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I painted my shop which is also a cinderblock garage.

I went to the local HD and picked up block and stucco paint. The nice thing about this paint is that it already has a primer in it. I would just powerwaash or scrub your walls to make sure that there is as little dirt as possible.

Gary Keedwell
11-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Yup ...what shawn and Scott said......

Gary

Jim Becker
11-20-2007, 2:40 PM
By all means, painting the wall will be the biggest single improvement you can make to the light levels of your shop outside of floodlights! Block isn't "fun" to paint, but the end result is worth it, IMHO. Of course, furing out and putting up a wall covering has additional merits, including some space to put insulation and the ability to hang things more easily.

Mike Marcade
11-20-2007, 4:57 PM
Block isn't "fun" to paint

As opposed to what? :p

Wilbur Pan
11-20-2007, 5:16 PM
I have a cinder block basement workshop. I used Drylok to paint it, which made it nice and white and blocked moisture. Since you seem to be interested in blocking moisture, this might be the ideal solution.

The only problems I had with peeling was when I was first painting the cinder block, and put on too thick of a coat. Since then, it's been fine.

Vernon Taylor
11-20-2007, 5:36 PM
Jason
You might want to consider going to a real paint store such as SWP or a Benjamin Moore store and getting block filler. It is white in color but can be tinted, this will make it much easier to paint as it fills in the pores etc. You could probaly just use that for now and when it needs it repaint with latex in the sheen of your choice. Ask for their pro-line as this usually has better pricing. You might want to investigate renting a commercial airless sprayer for quick application I am not sure if they will spray the block filler but they should be able to advise you.

Jim Fox
11-20-2007, 6:00 PM
I just got done painting the block walls in my basement shop using two coats of Kilz 2. I debated throwing on a coat of actual paint afterwards, but decided against it cause of the added cost right now.

Doug Shepard
11-20-2007, 6:19 PM
How bright do you want it?
I'm also cursed with cinder block walls. They're probably due for a recoat if they cant be cleaned well to get rid of the off-white "patina" but it was still a rather dark space. It wasn't til I finally put down white epoxy floor paint last year that it became less gloomy.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37683

Jim Becker
11-20-2007, 8:06 PM
As opposed to what?

Yea, well...the gazillion holes suck up the paint in a very thirsty way and the really heavy stuff made for block is harder to use than regular house paint. Doing drywall is a piece o' cake in comparison!