PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Blanks

Dave Klear
02-13-2004, 11:06 PM
I have both parabolic and brad point drill bits but can't seem to get a hole that doesn't drift. I tried drill press and shopsmith horizontal.. The bits appear to bend.. What kind of bits do ya'll use
TIA
Dave

Dave Bonde
02-13-2004, 11:24 PM
I use a brad point bits that I got from Penn State Ind. I am very happy with their performance. Dave

Dennis Peacock
02-14-2004, 12:10 AM
I have both parabolic and brad point drill bits but can't seem to get a hole that doesn't drift. I tried drill press and shopsmith horizontal.. The bits appear to bend.. What kind of bits do ya'll use
TIA
Dave

Dave,

I use a couple of Parabolic drill bits from Berea Hardwoods. GREAT drill bits and they aren't that expensive. I do for time to time use a standard twist drill bit, but I make sure it is sharp before I start drilling too many blanks. Works very well.

I've never tried brad point bits and have always used parabolic or twist drill bits. What are you using to hold the pen blank with while drilling? Is the bit straight and is it sharp or not too dull? A dull or mis-sharpened drill bit can drift on ya a little. I use my drill press for all pen blank drilling. I have a "V" cut in a 6/4 block of wood and I put the blanks in the "V", align to drill the center and make a hole......

I am really surprised that your parabolic bit is causing you problems. After a LOT of use of mine...never a problem.

Joel Shapiro
02-14-2004, 7:28 AM
Dave,

I use DeWalt bullet point bits with good results. For larger holes I use twist drills that I have sharpened in my Drill Doctor (last years Valentine's gift from LOML) and some I've even ground to a split point with good results. I've had good results with brad points as well.

I've used parabolic bits with good results but they're a bit too aggresive for me.

The only suggestion I can make is that your drill bit, whatever you use, is sharp! Any time I've had a dull one, it drifted off center!

Joel

Dave Klear
02-14-2004, 12:19 PM
AH! Brain cramp. WIll check for sharpness. Both were new. But I should have known better. Never Assume :)
Thanks

Jim Schmoll
02-14-2004, 11:19 PM
I use the parabolic bit most of the time. Along with being agressave, it needs to run a bit faster than most. I find that light downward pressure and a faster speed works best. You may still need to back out just to keep the whole cooler if using Corian.

Jim From Idyllwild CA

Michael Cody
02-15-2004, 12:37 PM
TIA
Dave

#1 choice Black&Decker Bullit Point or #2 choice Berea Hardwoods Parabolic... I use the B&D bits for most things including pen blanks since they are the best drill bits I've found -- the Parabolic bits are good, but not as easy to lay my hands one..