PDA

View Full Version : Best Dado Blade?

Erik Oerter
11-19-2007, 10:58 PM
I've done a SMC search and am still wondering, what is the best 8" dado blade setup? In your opinion.

Thanks

Bruce Wrenn
11-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Best - Dado King by Forrest, most reasonably priced -SD 208 by Freud. $94 at Home Depot and others. Have both, but use Freud the most.

John Hedges
11-19-2007, 11:36 PM
I looked at this a few years ago and after reading the American Woodworker review got the CMT set which took top honors. I am sure the Forrest is excellent (I love my WWII) but it has a positive hook angle. While that may chew through stock quickly, a negative hook angle (like on the CMT) should leave a smoother cut, after cutting a lot of dados and grooves, I am hardpressed to think that anything could leave a cleaner cut and flatter bottom than the CMT

Bob Genovesi
11-20-2007, 6:43 AM
Freud makes a great set of dado blades. I like the way they cut cleanly with square corners and no tear out.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/SuperDado.jpg

Per Swenson
11-20-2007, 7:10 AM
Guess what,

We have all three, and a 1962 craftsman.

The Craftsman hasn't seen a arbor since the early 80s,

but I suppose thats relative, because until the last time

it was used, worked fine.

Might be wondering why would we have 3 dado sets?

I dunno, its easy.

Any way, I keep em stacked, with shims for our 3 standard sizes.

Now all have been sharpened by the same sharpening service.....

And I can't see a DARN BIT OF DIFFERENCE!

All three do exactly what is expected with excellent results.

Per

Benjamin Dahl
11-20-2007, 7:23 AM
Per has the hands on experience that echoes what the reviews say. When I bought my Freud 508 a few years ago, it was the top in some articles, the CMT in others and the Forrest King in others. I got a good deal on the Freud so went with that.
Ben

Scott Whiting
11-20-2007, 9:11 AM
I am sure the Forrest is excellent (I love my WWII) but it has a positive hook angle.

Forrest makes two dado sets. By far the most common Dado King is the negative hook, 4 teeth per chipper one. I was around for over 10 years before I even found out they make a positive hook set specifically for hardwoods.

Amana has had negative hook outside blades for some time and recently added a set that looks similar to the CMT with 4 tooth negative chippers so that brings 4 major players to the table with similar looking/performing dado sets. They all work quite well, as well as some of the ones offered by the smaller industrial blade suppliers. Probably one of the most important things in the long run is a sharpener who can keep all the blades within .004".

Jim Fox
11-20-2007, 9:17 AM
I'll second that! I've bought two sets over the past few years. After a big project at work, they bought me a new set. :p

Mark Ball
11-20-2007, 9:19 AM
I have the freud and it works real good. Nice clean cuts and smooth bottoms.

frank shic
11-20-2007, 9:34 AM
eric, i have a freud sd506 which i got off of ebay for around $80. it cuts clean even in melamine. check your local craigslist as well.

Allen Bookout
11-20-2007, 10:02 AM
I like my Freud SD 608 Dial-A-Width. No shims required.

Jude Tuliszewski
11-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Another vote for Freud SD508

JayStPeter
11-20-2007, 2:40 PM
I have the SD508, which works great. Just wish I had the 608.

Jim Kilburg
11-20-2007, 2:50 PM
I don't know about the others but I have the Infinity Dadonater and am very happy with it.

Larry Prince
11-20-2007, 3:04 PM
I seem to be in a group of one here, but my vote is for the Freud Dial-A-Width 8" set. Very pricey at $250 but worth every penny, IMHO.

The ease and speed of setup can't be beat, and it cuts the most square-bottomed sharp-cornered dados of any set I've used.

Allen Bookout
11-20-2007, 3:27 PM
I seem to be in a group of one here, but my vote is for the Freud Dial-A-Width 8" set.

Not really Larry. See post 11 and 13.

Tim Dorcas
11-20-2007, 5:37 PM
I seem to be in a group of one here, but my vote is for the Freud Dial-A-Width 8" set. Very pricey at $250 but worth every penny, IMHO.

The ease and speed of setup can't be beat, and it cuts the most square-bottomed sharp-cornered dados of any set I've used.

I have the Freud Dial-A-Width set and it doesn't get any better. It's incredibly precise along with having an amazingly clean cut. If you have the money to invest, I suggest getting this set.

Tim

David Weaver
11-20-2007, 5:49 PM
I have the forrest dado king 8" set.

I like it.

I would probalbly like any of the premium sets, but I know for sure I like the dado king.

I got it on sale at amazon for about $225 or something. I've never seen it sell extremely cheap.

Bob Feeser
11-20-2007, 5:49 PM
Frued 8" Super Dado. They leave one of the smoothest bottoms. The tiniest ridges, and absolutely no ridge on the outside of the seam. Perfect mating.
I had a Craftsman Dial a width for about 80 bucks, and it was junk. Left a round belly bottom. I also have a super cheap stack Avenger set that I leave set up on the Craftsman, never keeps a setting "Professional" 10 radial arm saw, keep it locked in at 90 degrees, and dare not move it, and it becomes an effective kerfing station. The on sale, at the time Avenger stack on set, for about 30 dollars, carbide tipped, is doing a nice job also. I just leave it with a 1/4" stack permenantly on there, and am able to raise and lower. So I just slide it along for the width, and adjust it for the height. Saves me from having to swap out blades on the table saw, unless I need to. That is what I have the Frued set for.
I had read some reviews on the Forrest set, I forget which one, and some mentioned minor ridges. I have the the regular blade Forrest WWII which I love.
I don't have any experience with the CMT.
IMNSHO :rolleyes: The Frued Super Dado gets my vote. Love it. I am sure there are some other great ones.

Bill Wyko
11-20-2007, 6:36 PM
Freud makes a great set of dado blades. I like the way they cut cleanly with square corners and no tear out.

I have this dado blade and I love it. The only thing I don't like is that the individual blades are not labled for their size. Once I select the right sizes and cut, the dados are very dimentionally accurate.

Gary Keedwell
11-20-2007, 6:51 PM
Hey Bill...when I click onto the Add to Cart button...nothing happens:D

Gary

Scot Ferraro
11-20-2007, 8:33 PM
I have one from Ridge Carbide and it is awesome -- smooth bottom cuts, no tearout on plys regardless of species. I would highly recommend it.

Thanks,

Scot