PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop planer

Brian Keith
11-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Need to get a planer and was curious what others think of whats available for under $300?

frank shic
11-20-2007, 12:32 AM
not much unless you look into used planers on craigslist or ebay. good luck!

Todd Jensen
11-20-2007, 12:46 AM
You need to squeeze $70-80 more out of your budget and get the Dewalt 734. I work with a lot of guys that use this nearly daily running lots of board feet of laminated curved stair treads, etc., including myself. I think for the money its the best planer you can buy.

frank shic
11-20-2007, 1:33 AM
hey todd, i almost thought you meant "laminate" and a very colorful image popped into my brain...:D

Rich Engelhardt
11-20-2007, 7:30 AM
Hello,
I got my DeWalt 734 from Amazon for $278.00 plus $79.00 shipping back in June.
If you watch Amzon close, they offer great deals form time to time.
I've since looked all over, and the lowest price I've seen for the 734 has been $350 - plus shipping. Lowes has the exact same model for $399.

After researching and asking here, I went with the 734 instead of the cheaper Delta ($199) the borg carries.
Snipe seems to be a big problem with the >$400.00 lunchbox planers.
According to most responses/opinions/reports I read, the Ridgid and DeWalt (734 and 735) are the least susceptible to snipe.

Matt Day
11-20-2007, 8:24 AM
I've got the DW734 and love it. I think I got mine for around $330 with a 20% off coupon at either the borg or Lowes.

Mike Hoyt
11-22-2007, 4:31 PM
I have also started looking at a benchtop planer and just wanted to add a question to Brian's origanal post. Guys with a 734 , what has been your experience with replacement knives ie, how often do they need replacement? I noticed that a replacement set which cannot be sharpened goes for about 50 bucks. Just looking for any other thoughts on the Dewalt planers
Mike

Darl Bundren
11-22-2007, 5:05 PM
I have the Ridgid planer and like it a bunch. I don't think you can get it for under $300, though, but HD often offers 6 months no interest deals on their HD card so you could spread the extra $50 over six months.

Be sure to run some sort of dust collection with it, though.

Jack Ganssle
11-23-2007, 7:46 AM
I have the Rigid, too, and am very happy with it. Darl mentions dust collection, and he's right. But a decent vacuum is all it needs, though the vac will fill pretty quickly if you're doing a lot of planing.

Jack

Dewayne Reding
11-23-2007, 8:30 AM
I have also started looking at a benchtop planer and just wanted to add a question to Brian's origanal post. Guys with a 734 , what has been your experience with replacement knives ie, how often do they need replacement? I noticed that a replacement set which cannot be sharpened goes for about 50 bucks. Just looking for any other thoughts on the Dewalt planers
Mike

I've had the 734 for 11 months and use it weekly I suppose. Still on the original blades and they are still cutting clean. I am careful to remove dirt from wood before I plane. Occasionally it will snipe a board.

Michael Hammers
11-23-2007, 9:04 AM
My vote is for the Makita. Over the other brands it is by far superior IMHO. I still cannot believe how well it performs and how much better the design is compared to others.

Todd Jensen
11-23-2007, 1:59 PM
Michael, not questioning your experience; this is just far from the experience I had with the Makita. I am wondering have you tried the Dewalt? I tried the Makita twice(returned the first one) over the course of a few days and was extremely disappointed.

As far as the Dewalt blades, they have great longevity and unlike some of the others(Makita included:p) they are reversible so you get 2 for 1.

:DFunny visual, Frank. That'd have to be as dangerous as running a rockmaple endgrain cutting board through it(don't ask me how I know thats a bad idea.:))
When I say laminated(to redefine), I'm talking about stair landing treads that are bent and glued. I've run plenty of these treads through without hardly cleaning them up first(and flat curved rails too though this gets a little risky); the knives don't seem to be affected by the dried glue and the rollers are easily cleaned.

Number one tip I'd give anyone using a portable planer: wax your table and infeed/outfeed tables. You'll see a night and day difference in feed rate and quality, and reduction in snipe. The other thing is that I always expect a little snipe at the beginning and end of the workpiece, but this is greatly reduced by providing proper support for the piece(both infeed/outfeed) while you're running it through.

Michael Hammers
11-23-2007, 2:10 PM
Michael, not questioning your experience; this is just far from the experience I had with the Makita. I am wondering have you tried the Dewalt? I tried the Makita twice(returned the first one) over the course of a few days and was extremely disappointed.

I am sorry to here about that experience....In fact I have heard nearly zero complaints on the Makita personally. I have used the Dewalt and the Delta in the bench top style. I also work for a company that sells Dewalt. I can tell you that the positive locking 4 post design is better IMHO. I have nearly zero snipe. The power feed is great. Knife changing is a breeze. Fit and finish are above average. Comes with well thought out design and tools.
The only downside for me was having to buy the dust hood and then a 2.5" to 4" adaptor for my dust collector. Also it takes a little bit getting used to on the heighth adjustment, but after awhile you get "the feel".
I have ran large hardwood pieces with no problem. The weight is great for a portable planer. Also it is 12" not a 12.5 or 13" planer. For me this is not an issue as I also use a 20" Grizzly.
It seems the returns due to not working correctly is big on the Dewalt. I see this in at my job and from speaking with other users. However for some they work like a champ. Delta is not even in close.