PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 221140

Dennis Kelly
11-19-2007, 9:52 PM
Do any of you own this model table saw? There is one available on my local craigs list for a good price. I have been waiting to purchase the Grizzly hybrid saw and saw this for less than half the price. Just curious to hear what some of you may think about the comparison...Grizzly or Craftsman.

Dennis

scott spencer
11-19-2007, 11:21 PM
My 22124 (http://www1.epinions.com/review/Craftsman_Professional_10_in_Table_Saw_22124/content_184778395268) has similar guts as the 22114. The biggest difference is the fence, full enclosure, and some bolt-ons, but the basic design is about the same. I've been happy with it....the cabinet mounted trunnions add alot of mass and are simple to align. It's smooth and quiet, and has cut everything I've put across it.

The fence on the 22114 is nothing to write home about, but most find it pretty functional. It's always upgradeable if you wanted to change it.

Denny Rice
11-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Dennis,

Like Scott I was also leary of a Craftsman saw when I was in the market to purchase my new table saw. I ened up purchasing the Craftsman (model 22124). I looked around for a long time then I also got a really good deal on this saw a little over 700.00 when I caught it on sale. I took it home, it was packaged ok, sears could use some work in that department but once I had everything adjusted and set and I have used this saw for over a year now I don't think for the money I could of made a better purchase. If you do research on the internet you will find this saw gets some really high marks and the beisy fence well if you figure what the cost for that fence setup would be if purchased seperately from the saw, then the deal gets really good. One of the quarks I have with this saw is the miter gauge, it is an after thought. its ok for normal crosscuts but if percision is involved, hang it on the wall and get a really good miter gauge. The other thing I do not like about the saw is the safety gaurd, another after thought. These two things are very minor in the scope of how a saw performs and this saw performs very well. I do not regreat this purchase, I really like this saw.:)

Jay Yoder
11-21-2007, 9:38 AM
I have had the 22114 saw since it came out. It is my first TS so I do not have anything to compare it to. It is built beefier than you would expect for the money, but it took me a while to get it set up. Turns out mine had a slight assembly issue. Once sears corrected it, it is ok. I did replace the fence with a Biesi industrial 52" and that helped alot. in retrospect, i wish i had just bought the 22114. As it came with the better fence. i will probably be selling it in the spring complete, as i have clearance to buy a full cabinet saw. For the $$$ i would say it would be tough to beat unless u could find a used cab saw. I have fought with the miter gauge since day one and now just work without it. It is tough to get it dialed in. I disliked the guard, so it is now on the shelf. just my .02

Aaron Frank
11-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Dennis,

The new FW Tools & Shops issue reviews the current crop of hybrid saws. They found the Woodtek hybrid to be the best, out pacing both of your choices. FWIW, the Woodtek appears to be a clone of the General International.

Sorry to muddy things up, but good luck!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Aaron

Brian Dormer
11-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I have owned a 22114 for about 2 years. It replaced an old, cheap contractor saw. When I was close to buying, the decision was a Rigid 3650 or the 22114. I haven't been sorry.

My ONLY gripe is that they should replace the 2 part rip fence guide bar with a one piece. IF they did that - this saw would be near impossible to beat in the price range. Of course, for about 150 - you can buy a very nice Biesmeyer knock off fence made by Delta. I haven't done that - yet!

Just an FYI - it's BIG and HEAVY. I had to take mine apart to get it into my basement shop.

Terry Sparks
11-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Dennis,

The new FW Tools & Shops issue reviews the current crop of hybrid saws. They found the Woodtek hybrid to be the best, out pacing both of your choices. FWIW, the Woodtek appears to be a clone of the General International.

Sorry to muddy things up, but good luck!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Aaron

The fact is, you can read tool reviews over and over until your eyes bleed and still not get a clear understanding of which tool is the "absolute best" tool for your needs. As everything in life that has a human opinion involved, that is what you get, a personal preference. What I look for in reading the many tool reviews available is consistancyin tools getting high marks by many reviewers, then narrow my choices down to those two or three tools. Regardless of which one I decide to buy, I feel confident of buying as good a tool as I can possibly buy.