PDA

View Full Version : Machine Gloat, new compressor

Jude Tuliszewski
11-19-2007, 9:10 PM
This is my new compressor :D. I wanted to be able to run a 40 lbs. pressure pot sand blaster, as well as a sandblasting cabinet in the future. I had a 60 gal 5 horse compressor (Husky), it was a solid performer, but it just could not keep up :( so I sold it. I decided on this brand (EATON) because it just seemed beefier than the competition. It arrived fully assembled (mag. switch installed and full of oil), all I had to do is hook up power to it. It is the 2 stage, 4 cylinder, 80 gal. 7.5 HP vertical model, it also has a feature that I did not see available on the other manufacturer’s machines, a continuous run feature.

It has bypass valves in the heads that open before it gets to shut off pressure and reverses some of the air flow so air blows back out of the intake. When the pressure drops to a certain point the valves close and it pumps as normal. To get it to run this way, there is a small bleeder valve on the tank you open to supply the bypass valves in the heads. I thought this was a really cool feature and it helped sell me on the Eaton. The continuous run is great for sand blasting or high air consumption stuff, as the motor dose not cycle on and off but stays at speed.

I have been using it for a couple of months and it has worked flawlessly since day one and puts out loads of air, is surprisingly quiet, and runs much cooler than my old compressor. I expected there to have been some embellishment on the website (Eaton. com), but it is everything they say it is on the website. The cost was even with the other guys out there and with the more robust components and the continuous run feature; to me it was an easy choice.

The only thing I can see that might be a drawback to some (and rightfully so) is no local support if anything were amiss, but customer service seems strong. I know a lot of guys out there favor the IR’s but after getting and using the Eaton compressor, if anyone out there is in the market, I would recommend getting an Eaton compressor, it is heavy, built like a tank and is competitively priced.

I do not work for Eaton or am I affiliated with them in any way, just a very satisfied customer :D.

Todd Burch
11-19-2007, 9:14 PM
Wow! Where did you put it? Doesn't look like a whole lot of free space in that thar shop!

Todd

Bill Huber
11-19-2007, 9:27 PM
Man now that is one great looking compressor, now if they just made a pneumatic table saw...:D

I would say that would keep up with all the sandblasting you could do.

Bill Wyko
11-19-2007, 9:39 PM
Nice, that's a beast of a compressor.:D

Jude Tuliszewski
11-19-2007, 10:37 PM
"Wow! Where did you put it? Doesn't look like a whole lot of free space in that thar shop!"

Todd, it went to the back wall of the gar... I mean shop, close to the breaker box. You are correct Sir, no room to spare. I had too re-arange a few things for it to go where I wanted it. On the short list of things to do is build a larger shed so I can open up the work space.
I bought bigger now, knowing that it will be used in future plans (blast cabinet).

Rob Will
11-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Looks like a hoss. I like that style of intake filter.
7.5 hp? Do you have 3 phase?
That's a lot of single-phase motor hooked to your house:confused:

Rob

Jude Tuliszewski
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
“Looks like a hoss. I like that style of intake filter.
7.5 hp? Do you have 3 phase?
That's a lot of single-phase motor hooked to your house.

Rob"

Thanks Rob, it is :). No 3 phase power, but did have to put in a new 50 amp breaker and 6 ga. wire for it as it is rated 33 amps on the motor plate. So far no problems with too much draw affecting the rest of the house, and with only one large tool running at a time I don’t think it will be an issue as it is just me in the shop, cept the ol lectric meter, round an round she goes :(. I will know on my next electric bill if it is a big power hog, but I don’t think it will be that bad as it does not seem to pull hard when running.