PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Rotary issues

Jerry Allen
11-19-2007, 2:49 PM
Drive wheel problem:
I had a problem with my rotary yesterday.
Somehow the rubber cone drive wheel got loose and I botched a few beer glasses. On occasion I will double etch a glass, and this time it was slipping. The wheel would slip a few degrees when reversing direction.
I tried to tighten the set screws. No luck. I was able to remove all the 2mm set screws on both except one on the rubber drive wheel. I tried everything, regrinding Allen wrenches, mushrooming the end, using CA to lock the wrench in the set screw. Finally I just gave up an drilled it out. Not easy, it was pretty hard metal in an aluminum hole. I will be able to rotate it 90 degrees and drill and tap it for a new screw (there are two). I was still able to use it with one screw today.

In the interim I have the cover off and will post a picture if anyone is interested in seeing the guts.

Clamp Fixes:
I also found that the thumb clamp and the screws on the bottom were too loose. The clamp wheel always seemed to slip easily and awhile ago I had readjusted the screw and nut on the rubber bumper which improved it a lot. But it still rocked when the clamp was applied. Today I noticed that the screws on the bottom that hold the slider were quite loose and I adjusted them. The slide now works way better, clamps tight and does not rock.

Chuck:
I decided to design a Longworth type of chuck, or something more useful and accurate than the rubber wheels. I'll post it when I'm done if it seems to be worthwhile. Might be awhile.

George M. Perzel
11-19-2007, 4:00 PM
Hi Jerry;
Your posting is timely- getting ready to laser 100 wine glasses for nieces's shower- and you know how much I like the rotary unit. I'll have to dig out the setup info and learn it all over again. Email me the pics when you get a chance-like to see what's inside.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Jerry Allen
11-19-2007, 6:53 PM
Here's the Merc rotary guts. Not much to it!
The only chip I can see is an LS14 (inverter as I recall).

Todd Fulton
11-21-2007, 6:50 PM
Does your rotary unit have backwards movement?

I ask because mine has givin me fits this last week. I keep getting an error "Y motor malfunction for service inform your local distributor".

Christmas balls look awful without the rotary.

Jerry Allen
11-22-2007, 8:40 AM
Yes, forward and back, no problem.
I assume that message is regarding the motor in the rotary. I'm not sure whether it's a stepper motor or servo. Looks like it might be a stepper with an encoder.
Is yours new?

Todd Fulton
11-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Maybe a month old.

First day I installed it, it worked fine. (Only tried a small graphic on a drum stick)

Lately it's given me errors at the end of a job. Like it wants to start going backwards and fails.

I would love to fix this myself. This rotary attachment has already been a headache from day 1. Ordered it with my laser, company sent laser and no rotary. Company sent wrong rotary finally. Had to get that resolved and now the (I guess) right rotary is giving me errors.

Just another day in the drama of PODUNK Mississippi. :)