PDA

View Full Version : Some New Bowls

Brian Brown
11-19-2007, 2:20 PM
I actually made these two bowls about 6 weeks ago, but havn't had time to post them. I needed a project I could do in one day, just to get my sawdust fix, and forget about a client who was driving me nuts. My dad gave me a piece of 10/4 Honduran mahogany left over from making a keel for his boat, and it wasn't wide enough to make a very large bowl, so a little lamination with some hard maple, and now they are about 6" dia. and 2" tall. I found it is really hard to make two items exactly alike. Good thing I don't want to do production work. Not my best or most creative work, but still fun.

Brian

Bob Hallowell
11-19-2007, 2:23 PM
Brian,
those turned out very nice, I like'em

Bob

Dean Matthews
11-19-2007, 2:38 PM
I really like how you did the foot for the bowl.

One thing that I have really worked hard on is trying to find different ways to do the bottom of the bowls. Seems like it is the last thing a lot of people thing about.

Your bowls aren't all "fancy" but they sure do look good. Nice and clean looking.

Paul Engle
11-19-2007, 2:39 PM
Brian,
Nice choice for the lam's , racing stripes off to the side , already for next years NASCAR season. Good work for sure!!! START YOUR ENGINES ... oh not till feb ..... shoot:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2007, 2:45 PM
Nice work Brian! I like the simple form - gives them a 'clean' look. Good looking wood color combination and finish. Production work or not - they make a great set!

David Fried
11-19-2007, 3:05 PM
I'm with Bob - I like 'em, too!

The strip is interesting and they sure look like a matched pair.

I bet they would look right at home on top of a piece of modern Danish furniture.

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2007, 4:57 PM
Brian those are great looking bowls. I like the strip as it really sets them off. Well done.

Jon Lanier
11-19-2007, 5:58 PM
I think they look great. Nice choice of laminate.

Tom Sherman
11-19-2007, 9:04 PM
I agree Brian, these are nice bowls, great job.

Alex Elias
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
I like them as well. They look good to eat chinese food with chopsitcks, and you do have a nice set to invite friends over. It would make a nice conversation during dinner.
Thanks for sharing

TYLER WOOD
11-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Very simple, elegant, sturdy with finesse. What a splendid job!!!! I love em. Send me a pm ad I'll tell you where to ship them to. Shipping courtesy of you of course!!:D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-20-2007, 1:34 PM
Those are some really great looking bowls, Brian. IMHO, it's better to have a little bit of variation in pieces that are supposed to be ``identical''---After all, the handmade woodturning is made by an artisan, not a computer.

Jim Becker
11-20-2007, 2:08 PM
Brian, those are great!

Brian McInturff
11-20-2007, 6:13 PM
Brian, those must be great bowls. People named Brian only turn GREAT pieces:D
Really, I like the offset of the laminant and the dimensions . Really nice.
Brian